Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• A guy walks into a bar...

Re: StarDinerz is being shut down and replaced

Westsider has crystallized my thoughts exactly. As a Cast Member for almost 20 years, I remember a time when the Inn Between and the DEC were Not For Profit. You could walk in with 3 bucks and walk out full and satisfied. I, too, did not appreciate being accosted by a foods shop steward who all but demanded I sign their petition. I laughed.

This internet message board posting does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either my company, my friends, or my cat; don't quote me on that; don't quote me on anything; all rights reserved; you may distribute this message freely but you may not make a profit from it; terms are subject to change without notice; illustrations are slightly enlarged to show detail; any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and purely coincidental; do not remove this disclaimer under penalty of law; hand wash only, tumble dry on low heat; do not bend, fold, mutilate, or spindle; your mileage may vary; no substitutions allowed; for a limited time only; this message is void where prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted; Contest ends 12-31-2099.

• Aw....man !

I sincerely hope for the CM's sake that Sodexho does a better job for you than they have at my company.
    The company I work for outsourced it's cafeteria to Sodexho after years of complaints of bad food and high prices.
    Now we have worse food, higher prices, and fewer choices.
    Thank goodness I have the option to leave the building and go elsewhere now.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

I cant wait I loved the Food at the Studios which was not that more pricey then the Crud we are served now and tasted a million times better then the food at the starz Dinners I cant wait. Then Again I remember the DEC and INN Between before the starz diners.

• Never Look Back

Quote Originally Posted by Jeronius View Post
    All I have to say to the CMs...

Mini Cheeseburgers with Thousand Island Dressing upgraded. Yuuuuum
    YUMM!

When I was a CM during the 50th, I loved getting that. I really had no issue with Star Dinerz at all. I mean they had an occasional rude CM now and then, but the place was a crowded nightmare. I mean everyone will get frustrated every once in a while.

I think the biggest problem for the Inn Between (behind Plaza Inn), was the Entertainment CMs. When the parade returned, all the Entertainment CMs flooded the eateries. When you are an hourly CM with a 30 min lunch break, you don't have time to wait behind all these people and eat too. Entertainment CMs had ridiculously long breaks, and I really think they should have a designated eating area. Whenever I had a break that timed with a parade ending, I would never really have time to eat.

Hopefully this change will end up benefitting the Hourly CM...

I too remember a few years ago when an outside company ran the cafes. The food was much better, the service was better and the prices were actually lower on many items. You used to be able to get a fruit plate with 2 slices of honeydew, 2 slices of cantaloupe, a wedge of watermelon, half an orange or apple and a small cup of strawberry yoghurt for $1.75. Now for $2.99 your lucky to get a handfull of grapes, a strawberry or two and a couple of cubes of mellon. As far as service is concerned, I'm not sure how it is on other shifts, but on graveyard the cooks are hard pressed to handle more than two orders at a time which translates into half your lunchbreak being wasted waiting for mediocre food. The epitome of how pathetic it has gotten is when I saw that the three specials for the night were the three different (yet same) maccaroni dishes.....a real culinary delight.
    BRING ON THE NEW STUFF!

Talking Re: StarDinerz is being shut down and replaced

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    I'm an hourly Attractions CM, I refused to sign that stupid petition, and I'm looking forward to the change. Maybe that's because I remember what the InnBetween and the DEC used to be like five years ago before StarDinerz?

Hello Sodexho! I can't wait to meet you! http://www.sodexhousa.com/
    I 100% Agree!!! In-between is horrible right now most prefer a Roach coach! bad service Ridiculous cast members who act like they get paid by how much they can screw you out of a serving of pasta!!!

Cant wait for the Change The Burbank cafeteria sells 1000% better quality food!

• Lost in Wonderland

These semi-recent changes come to mind: They no longer offer the apple pie bites at the Village Haus cast window, even though Guests can still get them. And you can no longer get Redd Rocket Pizza Port Pizza at any cast eatery.

I think most CMs are ready for a change at the cast eateries. A lot of CMs probably think anything is better than what they have, so they're looking forward to the change. Many are even willing to pay a little bit more if it means better food. They shall see what happens.

The Inn Between is the one most in need of improvement. It seems like there is someone new behind the counter every few days. And CMs wonder why the bread rolls are old and hard, when there is a Boudin Bakery in DCA.

Now if they would keep the Eat Ticket open later than 3pm on weekdays and offer full-service on weekends, it would alleviate the crowding caused by parade CMs at the Inn Between. But Disneyland management only cares about operating the Eat Ticket for its TDA employees. (oops, heading into a TDA rant

The Stars Dinerz were supposed to be all equal. But some were slightly better than others. Naturally the ones in the hotels were slightly better. (Shared kitchens with the hotel restaurants.) And as expected, the Eat Ticket, which served the big yellow TDA building, had better food. (Just another example of TDA Elitism.) For example, the Eat Ticket had better french fries. They were obviously of a different type than those served at the Inn Between. And their salad lettuce was fresher usually. And their ice dispensers were cleaner. You would wonder why there's black and brownish stuff on the ice dispenser chutes in the Inn Between. And recently at the Inn Between, they started pre-cooking the hamburgers and then storing them in a warmer. So you have to ask for a "fresh" hamburger, or risk getting one that's been sitting around. They wouldn't dare do this at the Eat Ticket.

• Cast Member

There were lots of things wrong about the Inn Between, but there were good things too.

Sandwhiches made to order on huge slices of bread with anything you wanted for a real inexpensive price. A half sandwich alone was enough to fill you up. They used to have soft serve ice cream dispensers and also DOLE whip dispensers as well. And other things like having Mickey chicken nuggets and other things that were usually less than 2.00 or so.

I've done 5 years there and no matter how bad things were there, there was always room for improvement. But I blame how they made them all "Starz Dinerz". When that happened, it just got even worse.

That and the hiring for quantity, not quality issue really made the place horrible.

I remember the days they had this guy (God bless his soul cause I know he was trying) serving up food. He had some sort of physical problem, shaking and such, and had him serving in the front lines of the Inn Between with kids with less than 30 mins of lunch and just taking FOREVER because of his affliction.

That manager or lead had terrible casting of that position.

But if it wasn't someone with an excuse like that, it was others that DIDN'T have an excuse, and that was the problem.

Bye.

• Basking in birthday love

Wait, Sodexho's taking over? Great, now I'll have exactly the same food at work and at school. (Though if this means homemade sushi, I'm all for it.) And if this means losing the beauty of the $2.49 half order of Countdown Chicken Fusilli... *sigh*

I won't miss having to spend half my lunch break on my feet in the grill line, though. I spend all day on my feet, I want to spend my lunch sitting. And as long as they don't try to take my Cherry Coke away again, I don't think I'll really care all that much.

As long as they make sure the registers are adequately staffed. Having only one register open right after the parade is really, really not cool. I've seen people walk off without paying because they didn't have time to wait in the line.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Mickey Mouse Slave

btw, did i overread something? Has this been confirmed? I havent seen anything about it at work yet.
    ~ A Cute, Little, Fuzzy, Silly, and Chubby Cast Member ~

• Guilty!

Yes it has been confirmed. Leads and managers have been informed via email.

Yes, this is confirmed.

And Westsider brought up a very good point. Those CMs at Inn Between are by far the worst I have ever encountered at the resort ever. And I'm not exaggerating. Basically, they say they won't get fired, just transferred, but they will get fired anyway once they have to deal with real guests. Don't get me wrong, some of the CMs at IB are cool, but most are working backstage for a reason.

And I regret to say that I was scheduled to work at Inn Between one evening. It was weird cause I was the only one wishing CM guests a good night.

Boy...when Disney switched from internal to Aramark for most Cast food locations at Walt Disney World many years ago...not a whole lot of Cast Members were happy. Selection was sometimes better, but prices were much higher.

Back then, I believe Jane Eisner was on the Board of Directors of Aramark. I wonder if that had anything to do with the switch? Naw. Disney probably just did it to save money. At the expense of its Cast, of course.

Yep. Brown bag lunches went way up when WDW went "outside" on the feeding of its Cast.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    Boy...when Disney switched from internal to Aramark for most Cast food locations at Walt Disney World many years ago...not a whole lot of Cast Members were happy. Selection was sometimes better, but prices were much higher.

Back then, I believe Jane Eisner was on the Board of Directors of Aramark. I wonder if that had anything to do with the switch? Naw. Disney probably just did it to save money. At the expense of its Cast, of course.

Yep. Brown bag lunches went way up when WDW went "outside" on the feeding of its Cast.
    Just showing it's traditional concern and respect for Cast Members

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SkipperStandUp View Post
    Westsider has crystallized my thoughts exactly. As a Cast Member for almost 20 years, I remember a time when the Inn Between and the DEC were Not For Profit. You could walk in with 3 bucks and walk out full and satisfied. I, too, did not appreciate being accosted by a foods shop steward who all but demanded I sign their petition. I laughed.
    There's a CM who I work Rafts with sometimes and he has worked at Disneyland since the early 1970's. He was a University Leader in the late 1970's, and he's an all-around great guy to work with.

He was telling us one day how the InnBetween and DEC used to be in the 70's and 80's; Disneyland management purposely operated the CM cafeterias at a loss because they knew it was an important service to offer the Cast. They would send down food from the Blue Bayou kitchen so the Cast would be eating the same rice pilaf and pork chops the guests were eating. The Plaza Inn used to hand bake its own breads and pastries, so the Cast would have fresh Danishes in the morning, fresh rolls for lunch and dinner, and fresh cookies for desert. They would fully staff all of the registers and counter positions because they knew people only had 30 minutes to run over from Rocket Jets or Peter Pan, grab something to eat, and take 20 minutes off their feet to have a quick meal. On Holidays like Christmas and Thanksgiving and Easter they would have free meals, with a big carving station with prime rib and turkey or ham, served up to your request by a real chef in a big white hat. They never charged for these big meals, as they thought it was the least they could do for CM's working the major holidays "So That Others Can Play".

The CM commisaries never turned a profit, and it cost the Park money every year. But they kept it up at that level of service for decades because Disneyland management knew it was the right thing to do for the Cast Members who work hard to make Disneyland what Disneyland is supposed to be.

That all started to change in the 1990's. By the late 1990's Paul Pressler and Cynthia Harriss were rethinking every part of the Disneyland operation, and the old ways were tossed out the window for new ways that work great at the mall. It was a downward spiral that Disneyland still hasn't recovered from, and the InnBetween is just one of many casualties.

But what amazes me is how long it has taken TDA to realize how truly bad CM food service is in the Parks. This isn't rocket science here people. If Mr. Disney could serve a decent pork chop dinner to a Jungle Cruise skipper in under 5 minutes in 1965, certainly Ed Grier can do the same in 2007. Assuming, of course, that Ed Grier actually knows where the InnBetween is.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast