View Poll Results: Should Disney do something with Return to Oz?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Something in the Parks

6 16.22%
  • No

19 51.35%
  • Disney should rerelease

9 24.32%
  • The movie was Bad!

9 24.32%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Should Disney "Return to Oz"?

I just finished Son of a Witch, Wicked, and just saw this movie yesterday(I LOVED it) and as of late, I've been thinking, should Disney have a comeback of Return to Oz? After all, now is the perfect time to rerelease this wonderful movie in some shape or form in the parks, or just in the company. Most of the world is currently open to other possiblities of the story of Oz (Wicked, Son of a Witch, Cowardly War, etc.)and I just saw Wicked on Wednesday(also LOVED it). I think this would be the perfect time to do something in the parks that has to do with this great movie. What are your thoughts?

-Jojo

Edit: I forgot to mention that they did have a float in the Electrical Parade thats not there anymore(as someone from another thread pointed out).

• It's all nonsense

Re: Should Disney "Return to Oz"?

Returned to Oz bombed to begin with, it was always a sort of cult classic. Why would they put elements of an old, unsuccessful movie in the parks?

I live 2 miles away from Disneyland if Walt would've built it at Riverside and Buena Vista.

I think "Return To Oz" has as much chance of returning as "The Black Hole" or "Something Wicked This Way Comes." I watched it again recently and honestly didn't really enjoy it much. And for youngins, I think it's much too dark.

However you do make a good point about timeliness. I'd even venture a guess that Dorothy and Oz will always have some kinda place in popular culture.

If any live action Disney movie has a chance of returning, I'd say it's "Tron," which has seen a resurgence in popularity the last few years.

• Banned User

Well, I saw it with my younger siblings(5 and 8) and they loved the movie as well. And It was a flop when it came out which is why I posted this, because It could be much more popular today with everyone loving Oz and all. Universal Japan even has Oz land in it(where the caracters resemble more like the ones in Return to Oz).

• Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by Saddlesore Swanson View Post
    I think "Return To Oz" has as much chance of returning as "The Black Hole" or "Something Wicked This Way Comes."

If any live action Disney movie has a chance of returning, I'd say it's "Tron," which has seen a resurgence in popularity the last few years.
    One can't even see those films represented on the Disney Channel(s), let alone in the Parks. If it wasn't a blockbuster, it's not going to get a second look when considerations for new attractions are made. All those movies mentioned have enjoyed cult followings, and deservedly so, but even short-term representation at the Parks comes with a high-priced buy-in.

• Sector Two Droid Repair

A Tron 3D movie to replace HISTA would be great!
    When you wish upon a star, your dreams come true, but because of distance, not for millions of years.

This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"

Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

I think that if Disney still owns the rights to the OZ film franchise, it is an opportunity that they can ill-afford to pass up. I for one think that Return to Oz is a great movie, but when I was a kid it scared both me and my sister. It faces a problem much like Stitch's Great Escape at MK, it is designed for a younger audience, but has elements unsuited for them.

I would recommend to Disney to possibly consider a whole new Oz franchise. I would create a whole new Wizard of Oz, follow it up with a modification of other stories. Make a movie directly about Ozma, make a movie directly about Tik-Tok. The possibilites, like the stories, are endless.

Maybe they could even involve their partnership with Walden Media. Can you imagine the power Disney could have with both Oz and Narnia on their side?
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• Minion

TRON has a warmer following and doesn't have to compare to some other beloved original memory.

Return to Oz didn't blow the right notes for the general public and it's unlikely the success of Wicked will change that. These are very different things - - Wicked plays more off of people's memory of MGM's film. Universal has the film rights to Wicked (and funded the show).

I have always thought, though, that Disney should buy out the MGM version from WB and add it to the Disney classics and parks where it fits in perfect synergy with the Walt films.

"Return to Oz" characters and settings do appear in the Storybookland Canal Boats attraction at Disneyland Paris.

• ...TWO BITS!

I liked the movie. Sitting on my shelf right now. And I watched it this past Sat.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I'd like to see a proper re-release of Return to Oz on DVD.

• Fastest Man Alive

Man, between the Wheelers and the lady who take off her head and wanted more- this movie seriously creeped me out as a kid. It is not fondly remembered by the public. The only thing they could do to this is to make a new Fantasyland Dark Ride more tramautizing to little kids than Snow White's Scary Adventures.
    "oh mommy, we're gonna see Dorothy and Toto yay!" exuberant 3 year old. Then come the Wheelers. Mwahahahahaha!!!

• Directly directed

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    One can't even see those films represented on the Disney Channel(s), let alone in the Parks. If it wasn't a blockbuster, it's not going to get a second look when considerations for new attractions are made. All those movies mentioned have enjoyed cult followings, and deservedly so, but even short-term representation at the Parks comes with a high-priced buy-in.
    Sad but true. I loved this movie when I was little but it really was very dark.
    I'd like to see a proper re-release of Return to Oz on DVD.
    Me too!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    I have always thought, though, that Disney should buy out the MGM version from WB and add it to the Disney classics and parks where it fits in perfect synergy with the Walt films.
    I agree. The film is already present at the Disney-MGM Studios. The only problem I see is that people know the film as a MGM film.

• ...TWO BITS!

Were the Wheelers from the original book?

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast