View Poll Results: City of Anaheim Vs. Mouse Over Third Act. What's the Council's Anti-DLR Motive?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • City is angry with Disney for not disclosing target dates for building/opening 3rd theme park.

    4 20.00%
  • Council wants to place housing across from site in to create employment ops for residents w/Disney.

    4 20.00%
  • Anaheim trying to force Disney's hand to move on 3rd gate project quicker.

    6 30.00%
  • Council attempting to force Disney to reveal closely guarded secrets...for questionable reasons.

    3 15.00%
  • Housing dev. wants land across from site to coerce Disney to buy it from them. City in on it.

    6 30.00%
  • Housing dev. wants land across from site to coerce disney to buy it from them. City not in on it.

    6 30.00%
  • Other

    5 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,482

    City of Anaheim Vs. Mouse Over Third Act. What's the Council's Anti-DLR Motive?

    http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel...pagetravel-hed

    As many if not most of you have heard by now, Disney has filed a lawsuit against the City of Anaheim in order to prevent them from approving a massive housing project. The proposed development (containing a good number of low income apartments) would take place directly across the street from the site of DLR's third theme park.

    Councilmembers have become quite confrontational. Disney has been called a bully, and accused of throwing it's weight around town in order to get it's way on land use decisions. Members apparently want Disney to devulge to them more of it's closely guarded plans than what the company feels comfortable in doing.

    In consideration of the economic boon that Disneyland (and now the Disneyland Resort) has, for decades meant for Anaheim, I personally find the attitude of the council contemptible and highly suspect. The air is pungent with a most dubious smell of fishinness.

    Please let me know your thoughts on the matter.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 04-09-2007 at 04:28 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  2. #2

    • This is my car, Stitch :)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States
    Posts
    9,958

    Re: City of Anaheim Vs. Mouse Over Third Act. What's the Council's Anti-DLR Motive?

    I think Anaheim should stop planning on putting that low income housing in that specific spot. If it wasn't for Disney, Anaheim would be NOTHING if Disneyland was never built there.

  3. #3

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Dun da dun dun......Dun da dun
    Posts
    855

    Re: City of Anaheim Vs. Mouse Over Third Act. What's the Council's Anti-DLR Motive?

    Anaheim should take a look at Stanton, and thank their lucky stars that Walt showed up!

  4. #4

    • Mickey Mouse Slave
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    859

    Re: City of Anaheim Vs. Mouse Over Third Act. What's the Council's Anti-DLR Motive?

    :O I thought Disneyland resides in City of D!

    That would be pretty cool. i mean Disneyland Does have their own zipcode

    I really think that area isnt much hotels anyways.
    ~ A Cute, Little, Fuzzy, Silly, and Chubby Cast Member ~

  5. #5

    • Special Agent
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,434

    Re: City of Anaheim Vs. Mouse Over Third Act. What's the Council's Anti-DLR Motive?

    I think Disney has to provide the city with concrete plans before the city makes any decision.

    The city shouldn't be forced to keep open spaces of land as dusty lots for decades.
    If Disney wants to save that land for entertainment use, that's fine. But if they don't have plans to use it for another 50 years, I think the city has the duty to rezone the land.

  6. #6

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,482

    Re: City of Anaheim Vs. Mouse Over Third Act. What's the Council's Anti-DLR Motive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Experiment626 View Post
    I think Anaheim should stop planning on putting that low income housing in that specific spot. If it wasn't for Disney, Anaheim would be NOTHING if Disneyland was never built there.
    My opinion coincides with that of Disneyland Resort President Ed Grier. That is, thousands of residential houses and apartments would be out of place in a resort area of upscale theme parks and hotels.

    At the risk of appearing non-politically correct, affordable housing can spell trouble. Just because a person is poor, does not make them irresponsible. Our nation has a proud heritage in that many citizens born of modest means have gone on to achieve the American dream and accomplished great things

    Unfortunately, affordable housing also brings with it a large number of perpetraters of various criminal activities. We can blame this on weak criminal laws much more than we can on people. Nevertheless, slummy conditions and shady characters would live right accross the street from the Disneyland Resort's third theme park.

    Quote Originally Posted by symbolic View Post
    Anaheim should take a look at Stanton, and thank their lucky stars that Walt showed up!
    Abso-freakin'lutely! If the city had it's way, seems like they would replace the Disneyland Resort with sameness, politics and the economic woes associated with an anti-business climate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    :O I thought Disneyland resides in City of D!

    That would be pretty cool. i mean Disneyland Does have their own zipcode

    I really think that area isnt much hotels anyways.
    Zippity zip code! Zippitty yay! My oh my-y what a wonderful Disney day! Zippity zip code! Zippity yay!

    Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    I think Disney has to provide the city with concrete plans before the city makes any decision.

    The city shouldn't be forced to keep open spaces of land as dusty lots for decades.
    If Disney wants to save that land for entertainment use, that's fine. But if they don't have plans to use it for another 50 years, I think the city has the duty to rezone the land.
    As I've mentioned to you before, perhaps Disney should have been more forthcoming. But, you need to bear in mind that the press attends these city council meetings. To disclose Disney's closely guarded secrets to the council would be to let the entire world know. So, the beans would be spilled as to exactly when the park would open and everything that it would offer.

    Ed Grier has announced that Disney is definitely going to build the park, and has indicated that the ground breaking will be in the near future. Disney is not required to announce it's specific plans to any government body. You might as well have government and the press co-running the Walt Disney Company as members of the board.

    The city is destined to become an international tourist destination...all because of Disney. When the company decides to announce the third park (and it's plans for it) I want to witness the MAGICAL FANFAIR and SPECTACLE that will accompany it. I don't wish to find out in headlines that are the result of a hostile government action. It has been said that if businesses were ran like government, they'ed all be broke in no time.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 04-09-2007 at 05:54 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  7. #7

    • This is my car, Stitch :)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States
    Posts
    9,958

    Re: City of Anaheim Vs. Mouse Over Third Act. What's the Council's Anti-DLR Motive?

    Way too true Ride Warrior. Again, if 50+ years ago Walt didn't choose that orange grove, Anaheim would be nothing but residential and strip mall after strip mall. Don't think the Angels would have their stadium over there, the Ducks wouldn't even exist (so no hockey team) and no revenue from the Arrowhead Pond Honda Center would even exist. Would they even have a convention center? Doubt it. They city of Anaheim should trust the Walt Disney Co. to let them announce their plans when they're ready to do so.

  8. #8

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    I accidently a Coca Cola
    Posts
    438

    Re: City of Anaheim Vs. Mouse Over Third Act. What's the Council's Anti-DLR Motive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Nevertheless, slummy conditions and shady characters would live right accross the street from the Disneyland Resort's third theme park.
    Don't forget about noise, traffic, etc. complaints. I mean, they moved next to a freaking theme park, what did they expect?

    It reminds me of the growth of small airports. You know, an airport is small, in the middle of nowhere, and gains more and more growth. Then, companies build houses around the airport, people move into the houses, and complain that the airport is too loud. What were they thinking moving next to noisy place?

  9. #9

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,482

    Re: City of Anaheim Vs. Mouse Over Third Act. What's the Council's Anti-DLR Motive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Experiment626 View Post
    Way too true Ride Warrior. Again, if 50+ years ago Walt didn't choose that orange grove, Anaheim would be nothing but residential and strip mall after strip mall. Don't think the Angels would have their stadium over there, the Ducks wouldn't even exist (so no hockey team) and no revenue from the Arrowhead Pond Honda Center would even exist. Would they even have a convention center? Doubt it. They city of Anaheim should trust the Walt Disney Co. to let them announce their plans when they're ready to do so.

    Awesome outline of the businesses, prosperity and recognition that the company that startrd with a little mouse has brought to Anaheim. There are big plans for the stadium area as well. Doubtless to say, the city has a bright future to look ahead to. In addition to Disney, other businesses will be drawn to Orange County and neighboring counties when the Disneyland Resort grows (as much as possible) into the WDW Florida model.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  10. #10

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,482

    Re: City of Anaheim Vs. Mouse Over Third Act. What's the Council's Anti-DLR Motive?

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTom View Post
    Don't forget about noise, traffic, etc. complaints. I mean, they moved next to a freaking theme park, what did they expect?

    It reminds me of the growth of small airports. You know, an airport is small, in the middle of nowhere, and gains more and more growth. Then, companies build houses around the airport, people move into the houses, and complain that the airport is too loud. What were they thinking moving next to noisy place?
    Sooo true, Uncle Tom! We seem to have become a nation of complainers. I can just imagine vacationing at the resort, and suddenly an announcement comes over the PA system, "Shhhhhhhhhhh! There's been noise complaints, and you must limit your communication and excitement to hand signals. By the way, fireworks have been cancelled indefinitely!

    OK. Have fun, but be quiet as a mouse."
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 04-10-2007 at 09:56 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  11. #11

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,482

    Re: City of Anaheim Vs. Mouse Over Third Act. What's the Council's Anti-DLR Motive?

    I'm hoping that DLR will purchase the property across from the 3rd gate site. The company needs to amass all the property that is possible.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  12. #12

    • This is my car, Stitch :)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States
    Posts
    9,958

    Re: City of Anaheim Vs. Mouse Over Third Act. What's the Council's Anti-DLR Motive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    I'm hoping that DLR will purchase the property across from the 3rd gate site. The company needs to amass all the property that is possible.
    Yes, hopefully there won't be little 7-11's and what other crappy convenience stores across the street from the 3rd gate as how it is on Harbor across from Disneyland and DCA.

  13. #13

    • Beach Expert
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after
    Posts
    10,680

    Re: City of Anaheim Vs. Mouse Over Third Act. What's the Council's Anti-DLR Motive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    That would be pretty cool. i mean Disneyland Does have their own zipcode
    That's actually not correct...

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] Has anyone been to Adventure City in Anaheim?
    By RetroMousie in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-10-2008, 04:49 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-19-2007, 10:47 PM
  3. Disney Anti-Housing Petition is Filed in Anaheim
    By cellarhound in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-22-2007, 07:58 AM
  4. City of Anaheim and beyond
    By Bornieo Goes Bananas in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-29-2006, 11:10 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •