Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Talking Any Pictures, Stories, Reviews of Good Neighbor Disneyland Hotels?

You see I want to stay at the Grand Californian Hotel on my next winter trip but it's just too expensive for my family. Then there's the Disneyland Hotel that uses the Monorail to get to Disneyland and then there's the Paradise Pier Hotel that is further away... my point being the DH and the PPH are just a long walk, especially at night when returning back from the parks around 11pmish with young kids and/or grandmothers.

So I started looking into the Good Neighbor Hotels. Moderately priced... not bad. We are also not into renting a car so we are looking at close Good Neighbor Hotels within walking distances from the main gate.

I did notice Candy Cane Inn, Tropicana Inn, Carousel Inn, all very, very close to Disneyland's main gates.

So does anyone have stories, pictures, reviews staying at these hotels on Harbor Blvd?

Maybe other GNH further away all have vans/shuttles that drop you off and pick you up from Disneyland, I have no idea. Maybe I should be looking at the other hotels further away from the gate...

Educate me and others looking into Good Neighbor Hotels. Please.

And photos are much much appericated. Thanks!
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Minion

Re: Any Pictures, Stories, Reviews of Good Neighbor Disneyland Hotels?

We like the Residence Inn on Clementine. Its a 15 min walk if you want to walk, or its on the G Route of ART. We also like the Anaheim Desert Inn, Carousel Inn, and Camelot Inn. We do not like Del Sol. Park Vue Inn is also pretty nice. Hojos is ranked pretty high around here. These are all easily walkable.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• A Beautiful Tomorrow!

Heres a few that I'v stayed at-

Desert Inn and Suites- Harbor
    Alright so last time I stayed here was when I was 5 so like 14 years ago. So can't really compare to way back but its a cheap motel to stay at, with a few different size rooms to choose from.

Rooms- There nicely sized depending on the room type you choose theres a few elevators but are rather slow and in not so convenant places so if your on the upper floors its faster to go up the stairs.
    Cleanliness- Really isnt the best nothing to go home about not to mention it smells funny and the carpets were kinda dirty. The morning we checked out the bathtub plugged up and the light went out-
    Parking- is very tight we didnt leave to go around anywhere eles but it looks very tight and I'v heard that its very hard to get a spot after the parks close.
    Location- It cant get any better than where it sits, its right across the street from the East Shuttle area, The picture below is taken from the 15 min. parking lot.

I would not recommend this place at all unless you are very in need of a room badly I went in with high hopes but sadly all were lost after staying here.

Heres a picture of the place

The view if you have a room on the upper floors

The sinks are on the outside while the toilet and tub are on the other side of this pic enclosed.

Desert Plams- Katella
    Rooms- we had on of the bigger rooms with a sunked living room. Very very nice inside. Roomy with lots of space to relax after a long day at the parks. 2 tv's, a sofa bed, 2 queen beds, and the normal stuff thats pretty standard in hotels now.
    Cleanliness- Very clean
    Parking- Like Desert Inn is tight once again
    Location- It sits out on the corner of Harbor and Katella so its a bit of a walk if the trams arent running in the Timon lot. Other wise its about a 10 min walk into the Timon lots tram pick up.

I would definatly recommend this hotel its nicely priced and its fairly new inside and out. Though the hallways got a little humid like its still a nice place to stay. Unless the walk is a bit far.

Heres the sign-

Heres a few shots of the room

The oh so nice view of the 7-11 parking lot

Hojos- Harbor near Mimis Cafe

Rooms- Some are on the smaller side while others are a bit bigger, the beds are soft, with all the normal stuff.
    Cleanliness- The rooms are so clean its almost not funny lol. Almost cleaner than Port Orleans Riverside at WDW
    Parking- More than enough parking to leave and come back later in the day.
    Location- Its about a 15 min walk from leaving your room to the East Shuttle area entrance and another 5 to the main gates. Its not ideal when walking down Harbor Blvd. late at night but the hotle more than makes up for it.

I would definatly recommend to stay here its nicely priced and if ur a reader of different Disney boards they give you 7% off ur stay, 10% or 15% off if ur an AP.

Heres one more incase you may change your mind about Disneyland Hotel

Rooms- are about the same size as Hojos but your up in a tower with a view depending on what room your staying in. There nice and the wall boarders have Tinker Bell with a trail of pixie dust that glows of a bit. There decorated with concept art of Disneyland. Its like taking everything you saw in the park earlier in the day and bringing it with you.
    Cleanliness- Its great but still not as great as Hojos
    Location- It really not that bad of a walk about a little longer than the Hojo walk but in the safety of DTD
    Parking- They have valet parking and self parking with plenty of spots

I love Disneyland Hotel its nice to stay at though is kinda pricey but if your an AP they have rooms for about 100 bucks a night not that bad at all for a Disneyland Resort Hotel though Port Orleans was only 120 a night.....

Hello Disneyland Hotel-

Some shots of the room-

The bathroom

The view-

Hope this helps
    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." Walt Disney

• Minion

I don't have the photo, but we now only stay at the Fairfield Inn by Marriott. We have stayed in all of the hotels on the 1600 block of South Harbor through the years.
    Right next to McDonalds, beautiful, clean, heated pool, the most comfortable bed we ever slept in, upgraded linens, (400 thread-count)
    Five different kinds of good really good pillows on each bed. pizza-hut/cafe
    on the third floor. It's great! Last month we watched the fireworks from our 7th floor room, and it was so incredible, the car alarms in the parking lot kept sounding off through the whole thing, hilarious!
    Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

• Princess Aurora Fan

This last December we stayed at the Best Western Park Place Inn and Mini Suites. It is right across the street. The driveway is right across from the driveway for the bus drop off of Disneyland. We have also stayed at the Best Western Stovalls. We like this one because it has Coco's right on the corner and we can just walk down the street to catch the monorail into the park. We like them both.

~Princess Aurora at Heart~

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by nemofinder22 View Post
    Heres a few that I'v stayed at-

Desert Inn and Suites- Harbor
    Alright so last time I stayed here was when I was 5 so like 14 years ago. So can't really compare to way back but its a cheap motel to stay at, with a few different size rooms to choose from.
    I would not recommend this place at all unless you are very in need of a room badly I went in with high hopes but sadly all were lost after staying here.
    I'm a little confused, you say you haven't stayed there in 14 years. We've stayed here a few times in the last couple times, and have been very pleased. The rooms have always been clean. They are larger than most of the strip motels. Parking is horrible though. It is older, but because of this, the rooms are good sized. Pool isn't great. But, I do like the deluxe rooms, and the location. It would be my choice of the hotels on the crosswalk side. (But, RI is better!)
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• no flash photography...

the hotels on harbor are just so-so and they are not closer than the DLH.

I've stayed at the carousel - hated it

camelot (i think that's the new name) it was ok as long as we were on the top floor. It's not built well and people walking normal sounds really loud on the ceiling. The employees there were rather rude as well.

Howard Johnsons - we liked it. One room we had was very nice. the last room we had was very average. I like the free internet though.

tropicanna - it was nice, no complaints, close to the crosswalk.

however, IMO, the best hotels (nicer then the DLH and PPH) are down further on harbor. The hyatt was an excellent hotel and we love the crowne plaza as well. they have shuttles and the rooms are really comfortable, the employees go above and beyond. We've also stayed at the hilton and the marriott, they were nice also.

I have stayed at all three Disney hotels also. the walk to the DLH is not that bad, because DTD has a lot of stuff to look at. PPH is quite the walk. The GCH was amazing and I loved the location, but ti does have small rooms.

• A Beautiful Tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    I'm a little confused, you say you haven't stayed there in 14 years. We've stayed here a few times in the last couple times, and have been very pleased. The rooms have always been clean. They are larger than most of the strip motels. Parking is horrible though. It is older, but because of this, the rooms are good sized. Pool isn't great. But, I do like the deluxe rooms, and the location. It would be my choice of the hotels on the crosswalk side. (But, RI is better!)
    I think I confused myself then confusing you lol but what I meant was the first time I stayed there I was 5 and then I went back when I was 16 which was in 04. Hope that clears it up

whats RI? btw nvm I know now I saw your first post lol
    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." Walt Disney

• Minion

While the hotels up the road are nicer, it all depends on how close you want to be. We used to only stay at the Hilton. But, when they had a major management change, we branched out and I found I liked the small motels also. Alpine Inn is another that consistantly gets good reviews. Its basic, but very clean and well maintained. Staff are friendly.

Another we found and liked, the Anabella. Love the marble baths!!

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

The ones we stay at on Harbor are
    1. Hojos-1 Stay-Big rooms, very clean. No breakfast, small fridges. We'd stay there again, but not a first choice
    2. Fairfield-1 stay-one of the worst stays we've ever had at DL. Won't stay there again, the rooms were decent sized but nothing worked and the staff was horrible
    3. Camelot Inn & suites-3 stays there, very large suites, the staff was great. We'd stay there again
    4. Carousal-2 stays-Not a fan of the regular rooms, but the suites were GREAT! Very roomy. Staff was good, breakfast was meh.
    5. Tropicana-2 stays-small, staff okay, location great, parking okay. Would stay there again
    6. Best Western Park Place Inn-3 stays there. Staff was great, breakfast meh. Rooms were clean and lots of storage space. Parking is horrible!
    7. Desert Inn & Suites-2 stays, won't go back. Staff was horrible, rooms were a mess, parking is horrible.
    8. Castle Inn & Suites-1 stay-Won't go back, dirty, broken down rooms.
    9. Desert Palm-1 stay pre-refurb. Wasn't bad. After seeing refurb pictures I'd stay there again.
    Non-Walking Distance hotels-
    1. Sheraton Anaheim-GREAT stays, each time, I think we've stayed there 4 or 5 times now. Great rooms, great staff, love it. We've walked it, it's about 15-20 min.
    2. Embassy Suites South-2 great stays there

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• For You!

The Candy Cane Inn is the best around for the close hotels - their free breakfast is really yummy.

I've been at the Residence Inn on Clementine and really liked it for the kitchen and pullout couch. If you have kids, they are great.

The Fairfield by Marriott is good as well - clean rooms, and you can watch the fireworks from a balcony. I like it because there's the Mimi's and McDonalds in the parking lot.

The ramada is nice, but very small rooms - if you don't plan on doing anything but sleep there, you're good.

I've also been at the Doubletree Suites down Harbor - loved the hotel, hated using the ART shuttle from there. It was a long trip.

The Anabella is also great - it's on Katella, right behind the Screamin' roller coaster. It's not a bad walk up Disneyland Drive (cut through the Grand California to get to the parks), but again, the ART shuttle is a long ride to get back to the hotel. But, clean and really nice rooms.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

I just want to thank everyone so far with everyone's helpful tips, dislikes, reviews and photos of the surrounding hotels/inns!

These plus hopefully more to be added in this thread will be much apperciate for me and others seeking similiar answers/help.

Anyone stay at the Portofino Inn & Suites? It seems to be right behind the resort yet no one has mentioned it yet.
    Micoofy Duck

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by BFJen View Post
    I've also been at the Doubletree Suites down Harbor - loved the hotel, hated using the ART shuttle from there. It was a long trip.

The Anabella is also great - it's on Katella, right behind the Screamin' roller coaster. It's not a bad walk up Disneyland Drive (cut through the Grand California to get to the parks), but again, the ART shuttle is a long ride to get back to the hotel. But, clean and really nice rooms.
    So the ART doesn't go to and from the Disneyland Resort main gate? I guess it makes many many stops before the bus stop/hotel pick up to the main gates of Disneyland?

What do you mean long ride? 20 minute ride? Longer?

Let me know your experiences with the ART system because that is one big reason why I wanted to stay off property, I'm hoping it something that can help me and not work against me.
    Micoofy Duck

• Merry 2014!

Friends of mine stayed at the Portofino Inn a few years back and said they would not stay therea gain. the room was clean enough, they had a kids suite, and they said there was no air curculation , the air conditioner didn't work and was never fixed during their stay.

I have stayed at the Candy Cane Inn, fairfield inn, Marriott, Stovall's on Katella, sheraton, Super 8 on disneyland drive and Alpine Inn. I liked all of them. The Candy Cane Inn gets my favorite vote because they have a geat staff, thier own shuttle, a great extended continental breakfast buffet, and really comfy beds. Next is the sheraton because the rooms are great, staff great and have own shuttle. Sense a theme? Marriott was rally nice too, I am not sure if they still have their own shuttle. Fairfield was great because of large rooms( two beds and a sleeper sofa, which I slept on so it was good) close to Mc'Donals and Mimi's restaurants and the walk to DL is better than taking the ART trolley. Stovall's on Katella was nothing to write home about; clean, rooms were kinda small and the ART trolley was never crowded. Super 8 was just okay, needed cheap lodging and its ARt shuttle was never crowded either. Alpine inn was good too, really nice staff and clean rooms. You would get to disney by walking to the south lot entrance and then across the lot to the tram if the lot is open and tram is running. It was a bit of a walk, not as much walking as you will do in disney, but at the end of the day, find a trolley nearby. Do not take a cab back to a motel that is close by, they charge an outrageous amount for a two minute ride and they don't tell you until time to pay.

Some routes on the ART trollies are very crowded. They do make stops at different motels/ hotels on their particular route. Not all of the stops are in front of a hotel, some are gathering spots for guests of hotels in the near vicinity. The cost of trollies are 3 dollars a day. Maybe someone in the know could tell you which routes to avoid. ART does not drop you off at DL's main gate. The loading area is about a half mile away, go through Security tents then on to DL maingate which is very close.
    Last edited by Fantasmico!; 04-09-2007 at 10:08 PM. Reason: more info
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Minion

Most of ART is good. The route the Anabella is on is THE WORST. My kids will tell you, if I could get a shuttle from the crosswalk I would.... I walked from DL to the Anabella, it was that bad. The walk is just under a mile. For me, about a 25 minute walk. The ride was 20 minutes and crowded.

As for the Portofino.... No one has mentioned the Jolly Roger motel either, usually good reasons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast