Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• U. B. Bold

An all new Jungle Cruise

Well, I've been waisting time looking at Google Earth again and I couldn't help but notice just how much valuable real estate is taken up by the Jungle Cruise. Other threads have been bemoaning the overcrowding and bad traffic flow in Adventureland and that got me to thinking, "Why not do something with the Jungle Cruise?"

Now, before you flame away on me, hear me out. First of all, I love the Jungle Cruise. It is a "must ride" everytime I go to the Park. But just imagine how much room could be freed up in Adventureland if the attraction took up, say, half the space that it does now. Impossible? Not if the majority of the attraction was inside of a show building. A very large such building could be constructed in the back half of the current JC area close to the berm.

Picture this: An open, airy Adventure Plaza with wider paths and better access to the Indy que and views of the Temple where the current JC dock is now. Back aways, closer to the berm is the new Jungle Cruise boathouse and dock looking very much like the old one. You board your boat outside much as before, but now as you pass through the Rain Forrest you enter a huge new show building roughly the size of POTCs. Here, protected from the ellements is an all new adventure with state-of-the art AAs, sound, music and special effects. Winding through the show building, your little boat goes just as far as it did before but in half the space. You sail through headhunter attacks, rapids, howling monsoons and a very realistic erupting volcano before passing beneath Schweitzer Falls and returning to the dock.

Sure, it would cost tens of millions of dollars, but what the heck? Disneyland will never be finished as long as there is imagination (and cash) left in the world. It could be a great new E-ticket and would go a long way toward fixing Adventureland's space problem.

BT
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• the rum is always gone

Re: An all new Jungle Cruise

you are right, the jungle cruise does take up a lot of room in adventureland. I like your idea, but there is one small problem...the Disneyland railroad. It runs right on the back side of the jungle cruise. IT would cause a problem with the boats having to cross the tracks in some form (either the jungle cruise be raised above ground level, or below ground level). That in itself would be extremely costly.

I'm fine with the jungle cruise the way it is. Perhaps the problem is on the otherside of the path with all the stores and restaurants there on the first floor. What about building a real second story and putting something up top to save space?

I think the overall problem with adventureland is that there are two main rides and one show building (and a broken fake tree) all in a tiny little space. If only from the beginning Adventureland was allocated with just a little more land.

• U. B. Bold

^From the satelite image that I observed it looks like there would be enough room for a fairly large show building inside the berm with lots of room left over.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Nice idea, but isn't some of the magic of the Jungle Cruise in that it isn't protected from the elements?

• U. B. Bold

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Nice idea, but isn't some of the magic of the Jungle Cruise in that it isn't protected from the elements?
    Well, yes. That and the corny jokes.

• On A Disney World Tour...

Well actually the Jungle Cruise movie is in the work, and they hope to make it such a successful franchise as the Pirates (well half of it would be enough i guess) So even though I was thinking the same, let's move it, and make an adventureland worthy of scrolling through (kinda like DLP without the island).
    But this movie means they will keep the Jungle Cruise as it iswith only fair adjustements, because after all the point of those "theme park" movie franchises is to boost box office and park attendance in the same time without pouring millions in a new attractions. So i don't think they would give millions of dollars to the ultimately coming upgrade of Jungle Cruise.
    Nevertheless, I couldn't agree more (and it goes for WDW as well...) and I trust the everlasting increasing attendance of DL, they'll have to find a way to make more room.
    Comparing the world's 5 Magic Kingdoms on my blog : 5 Kingdoms

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Leave Jungle Cruise alone. It's so charming the way it is...taking up more of it's valuble real estate, IMO, wouldn't be a good idea. Indy did that already.

Instead, it's the opposite side of the walkway that needs alteration. More than anything else, it's Tarzan's Treehouse that is making the congestion ridiculous...I mean, it's placed smack dab in the middle of the walkway! The path over POTC which was made to make guests flow easier is now rendered practically useless.

Additionally, if I could, I would remove Bengal BBQ, revamp Aladdin's Oasis and turn it into an eatery like it was when it was Tahitian Terrace (so it wouldn't be like the skewer offerings actually left...they could be bought in this new dining spot instead).

Then, I think, traffic flow would be much better.

I love riding in the rain. As soon as the rain starts we always wisk away to the jungles of the world.

• Disgruntled Former CM

I really liked some of the original Indiana Jones "Blue Sky" concept art that showed the Jungle Cruise interacting / sailing past some of the interior Indy show scenes; I have no idea how the current Indy show sits in relationship to the JC, but that original concept has always stuck in my mind; it's great to almost be a part of the JC when you exit Indy...

Personally, I would just be excited to ride the Jungle Cruise and see one or two new AA animals, a new show element, or SOMETHING surprising on the rivers of the world - in my lifetime... Hopefully, the new film will inspire an update of this favorite old Classic attraction.

Although the bottleneck / traffic / hoardes / stroller nightmare of AdventureLand is always dismaying, I keep thinking that if they DID figure out a way to open up the walkway and make more space, they would just fill it up with more churro and / or merchandising carts...

Doesn't the WDW JC go indoors for a portion of its ride? I seem to remember a major / different show element there...

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Agreed that JC takes up a ton of space. But, there is a lot of other wasted space that wouldn't take away from an original classic. Behind Thunder Mountain is prime land with poor usage. With that being Frontierland bordering on Fantasyland it would make for a great disaster/earthquake type e-ticket roller coaster.

The other area, I know it's been mentioned numerous times is the autopia/innoventions area. Autopia alone takes a ton of area and it's in prime location. Between Matterhorn, Subs and Space mountain it could be slotted for something exciting and unique.

It seems that size was a big deal but it sure looks like if they wanted to build something spectacular and awe-inspiring, it could be done.

Chad

• Rock Star Minion

Just make it a film-based attraction. Yeah, that would be so cool.
    I'm done sarcasticating.

A better idea:
    1. Go back ten years, before DCA was poorly designed.
    2. Push back Jungle Cruise under berm and into parking lot.
    3. Fill in former Jungle Cruise with some new adventure. Hey, I can't think of everything!
    4. While we're at it, push back Space Mountain into Parking lot.
    5. Make new Tomorrow-type attraction where SM used to be.
    6. Move monorail track more south, or, have it fly right through Space Mountain! So, cool!!
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by EvilQueen View Post

Personally, I would just be excited to ride the Jungle Cruise and see one or two new AA animals, a new show element, or SOMETHING surprising on the rivers of the world - in my lifetime... Hopefully, the new film will inspire an update of this favorite old Classic attraction.
    um, they just did this for the 50th....new pirana effects, new trader sam, a couple of new jokes and i think im missin some other stuff, anyone wanna help me out here?

anyways, jungle cruise was basically the first attraction to get "plussed" in recent disneyland history (PoTC, HM, and SM have since followed, and i guess subs could fit into that category as well)
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by dsnyfnatic View Post
    um, they just did this for the 50th....new pirana effects, new trader sam, a couple of new jokes and i think im missin some other stuff, anyone wanna help me out here?

anyways, jungle cruise was basically the first attraction to get "plussed" in recent disneyland history (PoTC, HM, and SM have since followed, and i guess subs could fit into that category as well)

Yes, you are missing the pistol toting monkey by the overturned jeep. Big kaboom in the water too. Great points though!

Chad

in regards to the original post, i agree with others in saying that much of the charm of the jungle cruise is the fact that its all outdoors

you feel as if you really are in a jungle, not an artificially created one (like it would seem if you had to enter a show building to experience much of the ride)

dont get me wrong, i really like the idea of expanding the ride and yet contracting it as well to make more room in AL, but keeping it entirely outdoors would be a must in my mind for anything of this nature.

i really think the way to expand AL would be to move the large building separating AL and frontierland over more into FL's turf, reopen tahitian terrace as someone else said (and moving bengal bbq's menu there to open up that congestion), and perhaps considering adding any future rides either on a second story of tahitian terrace (using some of the space in the main street facade buildings to do so), or somehow pulling another indy and build a ride outside the berm with a large queue guiding guests to it
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

• U. B. Bold

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Just make it a film-based attraction. Yeah, that would be so cool.
    I'm done sarcasticating.

A better idea:
    1. Go back ten years, before DCA was poorly designed.
    2. Push back Jungle Cruise under berm and into parking lot.
    3. Fill in former Jungle Cruise with some new adventure. Hey, I can't think of everything!
    4. While we're at it, push back Space Mountain into Parking lot.
    5. Make new Tomorrow-type attraction where SM used to be.
    6. Move monorail track more south, or, have it fly right through Space Mountain! So, cool!!
    Great ideas. Now if we only had a time machine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast