Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Closed Account

Re: Disney Urban Legends that REFUSE TO DIE!

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTom View Post
    Wait, I thought that was true....
    (I've posted this three times this year. Truly a legend that ceases to die.)

It's a little deeper than 3 - 4 feet, and not as deep as the 10 - 15 feet often cited. Here's a response to a post I did earlier that may prove enlightening:

Another Disneyland Urban Myth ripe for destruction:

Photo from MousePlanet

See those stairs from the bottom of the ROA to the dock? I count 10 steps. At 8" rise per step, that's 6.6 feet--to the top of the dock! Subtract about a foot (since the water doesn't go to the top of the dock), and your looking at a depth of about 5 1/2 feet. That's pretty consistent all the way 'round.

There's not reason, of course, for the River to be any deeper.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 04-11-2007 at 10:32 AM.

• It's all nonsense

Don't know if someone mentioned this. But the survey marker (spike) under the castle gates as being the center of DL when it was built never seems to go away.

I'm also tired of this myth of an old attraction called Superstar Limo.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

That isn't a legend either, that is true too. I remember seeing that on the local news.
    But it's also been said that the woman spread the ashes in PotC and not HM. Which ride did they say in the news?

• Closed Account

Well of course it is, it is in the basement...
    This is the urban legends thread, and none of these are urban legends.
    You see? You've been suckered into a Disney urban legend that refuses to die!!

See those two very-above-ground show buildings circled in red? Those are the POTC show buildings. As you can see, they are above ground. That's why you can see them. Boats and pirates are inside.

(I wonder why people don't think they're underground when they ride IASW. Same concept.)

You know how you go into the Blue Bayou, and you climb up some steps? You go up, correct? Not down, as one might to enter a basement. And what do you see at your waterside table? Yep--POTC boats going by.

The boats do go under a tunnel to get to the outer show building, outside the berm. Through a tunnel. This is no more "underground" than thinking you go underground when you pass beneath the park's entrance tunnels.

But, maybe you do think that.

Either way, the ride is most definitely not "underground." As much as your deceived senses tell you so (the imagineers should be proud!)

• Banned User

What about the underground tunnel(s)?

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    You see? You've been suckered into a Disney urban legend that refuses to die!!

See those two very-above-ground show buildings circled in red? Those are the POTC show buildings. As you can see, they are above ground. That's why you can see them. Boats and pirates are inside.
    Have you ever been on POTC and looked up. It is absolutely humongous. It seems like the building is like 30 feet tall. That's because, it is underground! It might not be entirely underground (because the entire building sticks out), but you are in the basement for sure. Why do you think you go down in the beginning, pass under the train tracks in the middle (i.e. the new Davy Jones theme), and go back up to ground level at the end. You are telling me you are not underground for that but at ground level? That would imply that you go right through the train tracks, you also sit at the same level as Jungle Cruise. Are you going to tell me next that HM is also not underground, when you clearly go down an elevator.

Here is an illustration:

(I wonder why people don't think they're underground when they ride IASW. Same concept.)
    Because you never go down...you are entirely at ground level the whole time. The rides sits normal, while the train is elevated above it.

• Yeah...I'm cool

Why does the last lift bring you about 20 feet up? It has to be undergorund at some point, just because you see a building doesn't mean that there is something underneith.

Quote Originally Posted by spunkymonkey View Post
    Why does the last lift bring you about 20 feet up? It has to be undergorund at some point, just because you see a building doesn't mean that there is something underneith.
    The last lift brings you back to ground level where the entrance of the ride and Disneyland is.

Quote Originally Posted by spunkymonkey View Post
    because when you drop, you drop to the lowest level of the ride, which would be the basement. and you do this so you can get underneath the RR tracks. You go underneath the tracks right before you get into the Battle scene which is the second show building you see behind the first one. the first one is for Blue Bayou and cave scenes the second is the main potc show building. hope that helps
    pshhh i guess

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

The POTC dilemma here is really a case of semantics, what your particular definition of "underground" is. If you consider "below ground level" as being underground, then Uncle Tom has it right. If your classification of "underground" means literally not visible from ground level, then Steve has it correct. Personally I think you are both right, as POTC does drop 35 or so feet below ground level, but it's showbuilding rises above ground level .

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    The POTC dilemma here is really a case of semantics, what your particular definition of "underground" is. If you consider "below ground level" as being underground, then Uncle Tom has it right. If your classification of "underground" means literally not visible from ground level, then Steve has it correct. Personally I think you are both right, as POTC does drop 35 or so feet below ground level, but it's showbuilding rises above ground level .
    Yup, 'cause when you get on the boats you're not on the same level as the the tram loading area, you're probably closer to the same level as the RR tracks.

• Disgruntled Former CM

Sad Re: Disney Urban Legends that REFUSE TO DIE!

(I've posted this three times this year.
    See those stairs from the bottom of the ROA to the dock? I count 10 steps. At 8" rise per step, that's 6.6 feet--to the top of the dock! Subtract about a foot (since the water doesn't go to the top of the dock), and your looking at a depth of about 5 1/2 feet. That's pretty consistent all the way 'round.

There's not reason, of course, for the River to be any deeper.

Sorry to think that one of the two teenagers swimming from Tom Sawyers Island actually drowned in 5.5 feet of water... probably too scared to stand up / feel for the bottom.

• Banned User

Another one:

--The telegraph sounder in Frontierland Station taps out Walt's Opening Day dedication speech.
    This one is true, I thought?

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    This one is true, I thought?
    I believe it's only the first two lines of the speech.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    I believe it's only the first two lines of the speech.
    That's what I've heard as well.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast