Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

• Embrace the kitsch!

Re: Disney Urban Legends that REFUSE TO DIE!

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I have heard that the original AA that was Abraham Lincoln was used in POTC. They say he's in the "Buy a bride" Scene. Do you know which one is Honest Abe?

I believe he's the Auctioneer. Think about the complexity of movement needed for that figure. The shaman in the Indian Village is also another former Lincoln. If you look, you can see he has the squatting motion that was used to make Lincoln sit. It was about 10 years ago that I heard this, so I can't remember the source.

What amazed me was Oogie Boogie. That figure can do so much more than they let it do when it was Big Al! Of course, I've heard that most of the figures only show off a fraction of their real potential.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bbks18 View Post
    And why is it a 1943 penny?
    1943 is the year that the penny was made out steel in an effort to allocate more copper for the war effort. Most 1943 pennies aren't going to fetch very much, as they are not that rare. The rumor could mean an extremely rare copper 1943 penny, but that'd be worth much more than a day trip to Disneyland. If you go to a local coin shop you should be able to leave with a couple of 1943 pennies for no more $2.

• Space Mountain Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Sorry. Don't tell her (BTW, I'm guessing she won't love you any less).

Photo circa 1955. Red lines "center."

Blue line--through the spike--not so much:

Wow... well it's hard to argue with that. Thanks for posting the picture and you're right.... I think this whole thing needs to stay between us micechatters
    Thanks, Steve for sharing!
    I only hope we never lose sight of one thing... that it was all started by a mouse!

the world of disneyking

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by disneyking View Post
    Wow... well it's hard to argue with that. Thanks for posting the picture and you're right.... I think this whole thing needs to stay between us micechatters
    Thanks, Steve for sharing!
    No matter the truth, I gather it was far more romantic to propose in a castle courtyard than in the middle of a traffic circle surrounded by bronze cartoon characters.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by TheManator View Post
    Opus, you should have a website. And you should call it the Opus Archives.
    Personally, I think Opus should write a book. His knowledge is so deep, and his collection so vast, that if done right, it very well could be one of the best DL books ever written.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    It is only the first 2 sentences, but you are correct on the Disneyland part. Can't remember where I found this:

"TO ALL WHO COME TO DISNEYLAND, WELCOME. HERE AGE RELIVES FOND MEMORIES OF THE PAST, AND HERE YOUTH MAY SAVOR THE CHALLENGE AND PROMISE OF THE FUTURE." in Morse code is: - --- / .- .-.. .-.. / .-- .... --- / -.-. --- -- . / - --- / -.. .. ... -. . -.-- .-.. .- -. -.. --..-- / .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- . .-.-.- / .... . .-. . / .- --. . / .-. . .-.. .. ...- . ... / ..-. --- -. -.. / -- . -- --- .-. .. . ... / --- ..-. / - .... . / .--. .- ... - --..-- / .- -. -.. / .... . .-. . / -.-- --- ..- - .... / -- .- -.-- / ... .- ...- --- .-. / - .... . / -.-. .... .- .-.. .-.. . -. --. . / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. --- -- .. ... . / --- ..-. / - .... . / ..-. ..- - ..- .-. . .-.-.-
    BUT.....what is being broadcast is not morse code, it is land line telegraphy, a pre-cursor to morse code. (or is that an urban legend too?)

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    I believe he's the Auctioneer. Think about the complexity of movement needed for that figure. The shaman in the Indian Village is also another former Lincoln. If you look, you can see he has the squatting motion that was used to make Lincoln sit. It was about 10 years ago that I heard this, so I can't remember the source.
    While the Auctioneer was a new generation AA that employed much of the same technology as Lincoln, we shouldn't jump to conclusions regarding its origins. Many AA improvements had been made between the World's Fair in 1964 and the construction of the first Auction scene full-scale mock-up in mid 1966.
    As an interesting side note, the Auction scene was the only constructed POTC ride scene to be viewed and approved by Walt himself.
    The only "evidence" regarding the Auctioneer AA/Lincoln connection (or non-connection, as you may like it) has been hints and random vague quotes such as Marc Davis': "...We had made the Auctioneer pirate so sophisticated that you could watch him move, and it was as good as watching Lincoln." It is safe to say, however, that the Auctioneer owes its existence to the original Mr. Lincoln AA, regardless if they are truly (I doubt, however) one and the same.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by PinBrian View Post
    BUT.....what is being broadcast is not morse code, it is land line telegraphy, a pre-cursor to morse code. (or is that an urban legend too?)
    Urban legend.

Short synopsis:

Morse invented Morse Code. It was sent over wires in the 19th century.

When radio arrived, the code could be sent over the air waves.

Anything sent over wires is called "land-line." Just like we differentiate today between land-line phones and cell phones.

Eventually, Morse Code changed a bit, and was modernized. It's now called "Continental Code" or "International Code," and some of the characters are slightly different.

So, "land-line telegraphy" isn't a type of code. It's just another way of saying "Morse Code sent over wires."

Morse code is used on the Frontierland sounder.

Quote Originally Posted by PinBrian View Post
    no it think your correct.
    pshhh i guess

Urban legend.

Short synopsis:

Morse invented Morse Code. It was sent over wires in the 19th century.

When radio arrived, the code could be sent over the air waves.

Anything sent over wires is called "land-line." Just like we differentiate today between land-line phones and cell phones.

Eventually, Morse Code changed a bit, and was modernized. It's now called "Continental Code" or "International Code," and some of the characters are slightly different.

So, "land-line telegraphy" isn't a type of code. It's just another way of saying "Morse Code sent over wires."

Morse code is used on the Frontierland sounder.
    Sweet! I love learning new random factoids! This site rocks!

• U. B. Bold

Personally, I think Opus should write a book. His knowledge is so deep, and his collection so vast, that if done right, it very well could be one of the best DL books ever written.
    I agree. Where's the book Opus? Put me down for an autographed copy.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder View Post
    I agree. Where's the book Opus? Put me down for an autographed copy.
    If Opus were to write a book, would it be known as "Opus's Magnum Opus?"

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Here is one I've heard circulating around...

In the 1990's, The Great Satan himself, Paul Pressler, wanted to tear down the Matterhorn because he didn't want to pay for a badly needed rehab.
    But because of the furor that would ensue, he had to come up with the dough to fix it.
    The story goes that because it was the first "steel tube' roller-coaster in the world, he managed to get the State of California to list the Matterhorn on the list of California Historical Monuments and then persuaded them to pay for 1/2 of the rehab costs.

I wonder if Bob Iger could get the same designation for the "Finding Nemo" since it was the first landlocked sub fleet in the world!
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Closed Account

Of course, you can easily verify the falsity of the claim by going to the list of California Historic Landmarks and noting that the Matterhorn (along with Main Street Station or the Monorail) is not to be found.

List for Orange County:

http://ohp.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=21445

And speaking of landmarks, I think we should get that tie you're wearing designated as the widest tie ever created.

• Drunk On Disney

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    Forward this e-mail to your friends and Walt Disney, Jr. will send you a check.
    My personal favorite! I got that email from so many people!

Walt Disney JR!?!?!

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast