• Resident Ghost

Read My Disneyland Speech

Alright, tell me what you all think. I need to know what to enhance on so I wipe the floor with my competition and get an A.
    “To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here, age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.”
    When Walt Disney spoke these immortalized words on July 17, 1955, he had no idea the park would still be as popular as it is today. In fact, opening day was a disaster. With the final asphalt laid the night before, an 110 degree heat wave in progress, and many drinking fountains out of service due to a plumbers’ strike, no one knew what the future would hold. Today, of course, we know that Disneyland survived that disaster, and has been growing ever since.
    Believe it or not, the Disneyland saga began in 1933, 23 years before the park‘s opening. Every Saturday Morning, Walt would take his two daughters to the park for “Daddy Day”. As the girls would play on the Merry-Go-Round, Walt would sit on a bench to wait. As he waited, he dreamed of a place where kids and their parents could have fun together. A “magical place”, so to speak. Unfortunately, at the time, Walt was too busy with his Animation Studio to pursue the dream. As the years passed, this dream grew in Walt’s mind, slowly but surely. Finally, fifteen years later, the final puzzle piece was put in place for Walt’s dream to finally be made into a reality.
    Since a kid, Walt had been a fan of railroads. So, imagine how happy he was when in December of 1947, he was able to buy himself a small electric train set for his office. He was ecstatic. In fact, he showed it to all his visitors, including animators and railroad buffs Ollie Johnston and Ward Kimball. Both Ollie and Ward had trains themselves, and Walt was a bit envious. Walt now wanted a personal railroad of his own, and he set out to build one with the help of Ward and Ollie. Meanwhile, though, Walt started putting focus on his old amusement park dream. Early 1948, Walt began detailed outlines of a park he was at the time calling Mickey Mouse Park. He wanted it located across from Buena Vista Studios. Unfortunately, when showing his brother Roy the ideas, his brother reminds Walt that they are in debt because of World War II and can’t afford to build a park. Walt, unable to let his idea die again, took matters into his own hands. He started trying to bring his company back into the green. One of the ways he tried to do it was by creating a new company called Walter Elias Disney Enterprises in late 1952 to start from scratch, but that company also went into debt.
    Soon, Walt had a brilliant idea: Television! In 1950 and 1951, Walt had done Christmas specials on NBC and he loved it. Walt thought maybe he could kill two birds with one stone. He liked being on TV, and he thought it might be able to pave the way for his dream. First, he had to draw up plans for what he now was calling Disneyland. In September of 1953, he hired friend and former artist Herb Ryman to draw Disneyland. A few months later, in April of 1954, Walt made the announcement of a lifetime. Walt would be starting a TV show in October of 1954, and his park would be opening in July 1955. After going to NBC, CBS, and ABC, ABC made an offer. The deal made included $500,000 up front and a guarantee on all bank loans to Walt in return for ABC receiving 35% of Disneyland’s ownership, 100% of food profits for 10 years, and access to the Disney library for 8 years. Disneyland would finally be a reality.
    Disneyland began construction on July 21, 1954, less than one year before opening day. Between construction and the ABC negotiation, Walt had bought a 160 acre orange grove in Anaheim. One year to cut down an orange grove and build an entire park? Would that be possible. Well, it had to be, and work started instantly. Unfortunately, problems arose every now and then. Here’s a fun fact for you all. When the orange groves were being cut down, there were a few trees that were to be left standing, but little to Walt’s knowledge when marking which trees to keep and which ones to knock down, the driver of the bulldozer was colorblind and ended up tearing everything down. As the year went by, work got more and more strenuous. Workers were even asked to work weekends to finish on time.
    Finally, opening day arrived. Eighteen attractions had built, including the Jungle Cruise and Autopia. Absent from that list was the famous Matterhorn, which would end up coming 4 years later. The price tag of admission was $1 and each ride cost 10 -35 cents. Over 30,000 people attended, and over 90 million watched the grand opening from home. Walt was ready, and as he stood to speak, everyone could hear him say those magical words. “To all who come to this happy place: Welcome

• Resident Ghost

Re: Read My Disneyland Speech

No one has any criticism?

• Bring Your Own Redemption

It's great! Nicely written!
    Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

I can't really comment on it as you haven't told us what your question was. If you just have to outline something then it's all good. If you had to form an argument or make a point we might have a problem.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• Minion

Really nice, but I heard that great story about the colorblind driver wasn't actually true.
    However, it has certainly been told as fact, so leave it in.
    I love it when young people want tp learn the history of Disneyland.
    It was and is so much more than an amusement park, it's history is so fascinating. great job,I am sure you will get high marks.
    Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Very well written.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

The speech is nice but it means more to me than welcome to this happy place. I know how famous and grabbing Walt's opening day sentiment might be, but what you're telling sounds more to me like the Meet the Robinsons motto, keep moving forward.

• n/a

I would reword a couple things, other than that it should be fine.

I would also scratch "Here's a fun fact for you," there are better lead ins for anecdotes. As it is written it may give the audience the feeling that everything else you have said is insignificant. Like, "Oh NOW I need to start listening."

The judge or teacher may also find that Walt's speech as an intro as a cop out. Another route is to make the introduction more personable. (preferably humorous) with a tale of your childhood. If you show your audience that you are passionate about your topic, they will be more willing to listen. I'd love to hear a speech about Disneyland, but not by 84 year old Indiana man who has never been there. What does he care about the topic? You can also make it a tear jerking moment by playing the actual recording of Walt's speech with the lights dimmed and a picture of the man just standing there. Media is a great attention getter.

If you have any questions just let me know. It's my major
    “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.” ~ Mel Brooks

• Minion

A couple minor things :

I noticed that most of the story is in past tense, but when you said, "Unfortunately, when showing his brother Roy the ideas, his brother reminds Walt that they are in debt because of World War II and can’t afford to build a park" you switched to present tense.

And I think you're missing a word in a sentence near the end:"Eighteen attractions had (been?) built"

• Princess Lovela Summers

Love it
    -_-
    ~Lovela~
    VMK Name:Dristina(VMK changed it)
    Pretty princess in pink.
    I know my name is weird!
    VMK Lover!
    Birmingham Rocks!
    Miley Fan
    Wishlist:
    Credits
    Pink Princess outfit
    Pink Princess shoes
    Silver crown

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Just a few things. Disneyland opened with 22 attractions and not 18. I just got back from Disneyland yesterday and went to see the 50th Anniversary show -- don't know why, but I did -- and I remember seeing that number at the big model of the park in 1955.

Also, I would avoid using cliches if at all possible. "Back into the green" and "Kill two birds with one stone" should be avoided.

Otherwise it is very good.