Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• =)

Question Haunted Mansion backstage...

Hey, all. So, I've been making 3D models of some of Disneyland, particularly of NOS, using the open source program Blender. My current project is the Haunted Mansion show building, but I'm having some trouble figuring out one of its features.

Since I've never worked at Disneyland and my backstage experiences are limited to Magic Music Days at the north end, I'm working off of aerial photos and photos taken during Splash Mountain's construction. Most of what I see is pretty easy to model, but there's a ladder-like feature on the north side of the building that I can't figure out. It's visible in the following shots (which I did not take):

photo 1
    photo 2
    photo 3
    photo 4

I'm seeing a platform with a door that takes up the right half of the platform. To the left is the ladder-like structure--it could be a lift of some sort, too. If anyone has additional photos of this thing (or of anywhere else backstage), I'd love to see them. Better yet, if anyone knows what this is AND has photos, I'd especially love to hear from you.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Datameister; 04-12-2007 at 12:40 PM.

• All you need is LOVE

Re: Haunted Mansion backstage...

Thanks for sharing Wish I could help

• Minion

I am pretty sure its just an emergency and fire exit.
    good luck!

• Crockett's Explorer Guide

Thats the Bertha Mae in the last picture, the other Keel Boat. That would make these photos about ten years old, those boats where backstage after one tipped, the Gullywhumper became the prop we know and love, while the Bertha Mae was sold to a private collecter.

• Collision speed....FULL!

That's probably a maintanence ladder/door. The ladder has a "tube" around it to protect the worker climbing the ladder. If it was an emergency exit for guests, they would have stairs instead of a latter.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by aenobarbe
    Thats the Bertha Mae in the last picture, the other Keel Boat. That would make these photos about ten years old, those boats where backstage after one tipped, the Gullywhumper became the prop we know and love, while the Bertha Mae was sold to a private collecter.
    Twenty years old, actually--1987. Check out the dates below the photos and bear in mind that these were taken during the early stages of Splash Mountain's construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus
    That's probably a maintanence ladder/door. The ladder has a "tube" around it to protect the worker climbing the ladder. If it was an emergency exit for guests, they would have stairs instead of a latter.
    I suspected as much. The devil is in the details, though. If you look at some of the photos, the ladder extends continuously all the way from just above eye level to the roof, appearing to pass through the platform. In other shots, there is a gap in the ladder, starting just above the platform. Another problem is that the ladder doesn't appear to be caged; it just looks like a flat ladder with a vertical bar running up its center.

So, my guess is that this ladder has two sections--one below the platform and one above--each of which has a round cage around it. The vertical bars are situated so that in each of the photos I posted, one bar occludes another, making it look like there are three instead of four. Each ladder has an extendable lower section, too.

Anyone want to corroborate or refute my theory? There are similar structures on the POTC and Indy show buildings, by the way, so any photos of those would be helpful, too...

• Lurker

I've put these ladder/cage combos on many industrial-type buildings.
    The ladders don't have an extendable lower section. Look closely, the ladder goes all the way to the ground. Typically, cages for ladders begin about seven to eight feet off the ground to allow a person to get on/off the ladder.
    Where the door goes to is anyone's guess, but it must be maintenance only since, like Nautilus said, it would have stairs if it was for emergency egress.

That ladder leads to the Real Attic of the Mansion with Catwalks galore
    and the door on the bottom is behind the Graveyard near the bike riding banshees

• Quality not quantity

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Hey, all. So, I've been making 3D models of some of Disneyland, particularly of NOS, using the open source program Blender.
    GEEK!!!

But then again, ain't we all.

So when do we get to see the finished product?
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

• =)

I've put these ladder/cage combos on many industrial-type buildings.
    The ladders don't have an extendable lower section. Look closely, the ladder goes all the way to the ground. Typically, cages for ladders begin about seven to eight feet off the ground to allow a person to get on/off the ladder.
    Where the door goes to is anyone's guess, but it must be maintenance only since, like Nautilus said, it would have stairs if it was for emergency egress.
    That ladder leads to the Real Attic of the Mansion with Catwalks galore
    and the door on the bottom is behind the Graveyard near the bike riding banshees
    Thank you so much, both of you. This is exactly the type of information I was looking for. Although, Gregor, I'm not sure that ladder does extend to the ground. I brought the most detailed image into Photoshop and resized it. Even with increased contrast and sharpening, I'm not seeing any hint of a ladder touching the ground. Check this out.

GEEK!!!

But then again, ain't we all.

So when do we get to see the finished product?
    Of course I am, and of course we are! And I'm not sure if I'll ever "finish" it, per se. But here's my current progress.

Last edited by Datameister; 04-12-2007 at 12:36 PM.

• Quality not quantity

But here's my current progress.
    Well done. In blender you can look around in 3D?
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

• =)

Well done. In blender you can look around in 3D?
    Thank you! I don't understand what you mean about the 3D, though...I mean, the whole point of Blender is to model and view things in 3D...

• Quality not quantity

Thank you! I don't understand what you mean about the 3D, though...I mean, the whole point of Blender is to model and view things in 3D...
    I mean "fly" around and look at all sides of the building.

-Mark Twain

• =)

I mean "fly" around and look at all sides of the building.
    Oh, OK. There are a couple ways to do this.

1. If you just want to take a look at different sides of the model in Blender, you can click and drag with the scroll wheel on the mouse. This rotates the view. Hold shift while you do this to move back and forth. You can also do ordinary scrolling with the wheel to zoom in and out. However, none of this will affect the way the render looks. So, if you want to change the view shown in the render...

2. ...hit 0 (not O) on the number pad of the keyboard. This will take you to the Camera object's view. Now you can "fly" the camera around by hitting shift-F. This takes Blender into the flying mode. If you just move the mouse around now, the camera will look around from a stationary location. If you scroll up with the scroll wheel, the camera will move forward. Scrolling down stops the camera or moves it backwards. Clicking and dragging with the scroll wheel held down moves the camera side-to-side or up and down. If you hit Esc, the camera will return to its original position and exit the flying mode. If you hit Space or click with the mouse, the camera will stop in its current position and exit the flying mode. Hit F12 to render from the new position.

3. If you want to use flying mode without affecting the render, you can do that, too. Just leave the Camera view by clicking and dragging with the scroll wheel, and then hit shift-F and try the things you'd do while flying the camera. It's the same thing, except it doesn't affect the render.

Now, if you want a rendered fly-around of the building, I can't help you there because I haven't yet learned animation and I know the render time would be ridiculous. I'm using a dinosaur of a machine, and ambient occlusion makes rendering take so long.

Anyway, if anyone sees anything wrong with my model so far, please let me know. I'm going for accuracy here. Better yet, if anyone has any reference photos, I'd LOVE to see them.

Thanks in advance!

• Minion

I tried using blender last week.
    I can honestly say its the most intimidating peice of software i'v ever seen lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast