• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Can we talk about The Stage Door Cafe?

After almost two years on Micechat, I think I've generally tried to keep my griping to a minimum. But during the past year, I've been in to the Stage Door Cafe four times, and each time I've had an identical experience. Perhaps some of you have as well, and may have even started a thread on this, but I searched and found none. (Why do I keep going there? The food is exactly what we're in the mood for while we catch a show at the Golden Horseshoe. )

So here's the deal: Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe there are four front entrance doors and an exit door on right hand side. There are four places to order from at the counter with registers.

The problem? No one knows what is going on and guests are getting frustrated. Compare, if you will, to the Tomorrowland Terrace or Hungry Bear where you have an order line and a pick up area. Not so at the Stage Door. There is no "In" door and no "Place your order here" area. Guests are left to choose a door in a wonderful game of chance where if you guess wrong, you've just bought yourself another 15 to 30 minutes of wait time as you are told there is no line at that particular door.

Example: Yesterday I was the lucky winner. I walked up behind a line of 7 or so people waiting in the far left hand side door. Wondering if there was another counter open, I tried the far right hand side door (having made the trip here before and still not knowing if that line was open.) The CM finished his sale, looked up and asked if he could help me. It was at that moment that the CM on the far left closed his register, and left all 7 of these lovely people out in the cold as they told them to move down to the register at the far left. I stepped out of line and let them go first as they were obviously there before me.

When it was my turn again, I placed my order and presented my ap for the discount. The CM missed the discount and I asked if he could re-do the transaction. This caused another 10 minute delay as they had to find a lead, who stopped to lecture the CM at my register about not becoming grumpy at Disneyland before voiding the transaction.

While this was going on, they opened another station at which point another line had formed all the way to the left, prompting several guests to ask loudly and pointedly at WHICH window should they form a line? 30 minutes later, I had my food and was not in a bad mood but rather wondering why some manager hasn't fixed this in the past year or so?

Is it THAT hard to post "Order here" and "Pick up here" or "Window Closed" signs that can be switched if they need to open three or four windows? Is it THAT hard to close doors if you don't want guests wandering in and waiting in a non existant line? As of yesterday, there were four open doors and no signs whatsoever. People will get into a line because they will see a CM behind the counter at that window, but he or she is simply filling orders, not working a register. And after they've stood there for 10 minutes, it tends to make people really, really cranky. (At least 10 to 15 were pretty steamed by the time I left)

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it just me? I didn't have time to stop at City Hall, and I wasn't really all that irate, but I'll be emailing them after this last trip. Something tells me there is a much better way to organize that counter.

• It's all nonsense

Re: Can we talk about The Stage Door Cafe?

I think you just had some isolated bad experiences.

If Billy Hill is not playing at the time, it's usually faster to order inside the Golden Horshoe.

• Self-Described Good Guy

Our last trip in February, my wife had the exact same complaint. She waited in a line for 10 minutes only to be told that the line was closed, even though there was no sign to indicate that at all.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan View Post
    After almost two years on Micechat, I think I've generally tried to keep my griping to a minimum. But during the past year, I've been in to the Stage Door Cafe four times, and each time I've had an identical experience. Perhaps some of you have as well, and may have even started a thread on this, but I searched and found none. (Why do I keep going there? The food is exactly what we're in the mood for while we catch a show at the Golden Horseshoe. )

So here's the deal: Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe there are four front entrance doors and an exit door on right hand side. There are four places to order from at the counter with registers.

The problem? No one knows what is going on and guests are getting frustrated. Compare, if you will, to the Tomorrowland Terrace or Hungry Bear where you have an order line and a pick up area. Not so at the Stage Door. There is no "In" door and no "Place your order here" area. Guests are left to choose a door in a wonderful game of chance where if you guess wrong, you've just bought yourself another 15 to 30 minutes of wait time as you are told there is no line at that particular door.

Example: Yesterday I was the lucky winner. I walked up behind a line of 7 or so people waiting in the far left hand side door. Wondering if there was another counter open, I tried the far right hand side door (having made the trip here before and still not knowing if that line was open.) The CM finished his sale, looked up and asked if he could help me. It was at that moment that the CM on the far left closed his register, and left all 7 of these lovely people out in the cold as they told them to move down to the register at the far left. I stepped out of line and let them go first as they were obviously there before me.

When it was my turn again, I placed my order and presented my ap for the discount. The CM missed the discount and I asked if he could re-do the transaction. This caused another 10 minute delay as they had to find a lead, who stopped to lecture the CM at my register about not becoming grumpy at Disneyland before voiding the transaction.

While this was going on, they opened another station at which point another line had formed all the way to the left, prompting several guests to ask loudly and pointedly at WHICH window should they form a line? 30 minutes later, I had my food and was not in a bad mood but rather wondering why some manager hasn't fixed this in the past year or so?

Is it THAT hard to post "Order here" and "Pick up here" or "Window Closed" signs that can be switched if they need to open three or four windows? Is it THAT hard to close doors if you don't want guests wandering in and waiting in a non existant line? As of yesterday, there were four open doors and no signs whatsoever. People will get into a line because they will see a CM behind the counter at that window, but he or she is simply filling orders, not working a register. And after they've stood there for 10 minutes, it tends to make people really, really cranky. (At least 10 to 15 were pretty steamed by the time I left)

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it just me? I didn't have time to stop at City Hall, and I wasn't really all that irate, but I'll be emailing them after this last trip. Something tells me there is a much better way to organize that counter.
    They should be using bank type queuing with one waiting line and multiple order windows. That way you go to the next available open window/order taker and are not left in line at a closed window.

Supermarket type queuing - where you have to pick your window first, is not fair or efficient.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

I've had to deal with long waits at the Stage Door Cafe as well. I think they should rope off the doors where the register isn't working. It is confusing when you go into one line to see if it's open and find out it's not so you have to go in the long line. As for the AP discount, I've never had that problem, they always take the discount for me when I show my AP. I have had a problem about them not hearing me. I always say the exact name of the chicken strips and they think I say two orders of the chicken strips, which is annoying. The other complaint I had was when a CM ordered from the CM who was right about to take my order right in front of a line full of guests. Their manager saw this and instead of stopping the transaction, he just gave them a warning that they're not allowed to do that when guests are in line. But they do need to come up with a better way for people to line up in the proper lines, etc.