Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Use of Sunglasses Increasingly Becoming a Problem with the Show!

In recent years at Disneyland, I've noticed more and more Cast Members using sunglasses ON-STAGE! Disneyland is supposed to be a SHOW, a THEME, and the Cast Members are supposed to be PART of the SHOW and "be in character." The use of sunglasses totally ruins the show and it definetely ruins my experience. I mean, how am I supposed to enjoy myself if I'm walking down Main Street, and I see a Cast Member wearing sunglasses? I mean really? Here I am walking down said street with a big smile on my face, happy to be in Disneyland away from the world, and this joker has the gall to wear sunglasses when he's supposed to be in the turn-of-the-century. They didn't have sunglasses back then. How dare he ruin MY experience! That big smile on my face has now turned into a big frown. I turn myself right around, walk past this defiant Cast Member, give him the evil look, letting him know how disgusted I am. I walk into City Hall and make a formal complaint about the Bad Show. The Cast Members in City Hall can't possibly understand the anger that's flowing thru my body. I bid them good-day and walk out of the Main Street building, almost in tears. Clearly distraught, I walk to the Disneyland Railroad. After all that walking and anger, I was a little hot and then sun wasn't helping either. As I sit at the station waiting for the train, this female Cast Member walks up and down the station, and guess what, she also is wearing sunglasses!
    This totally ruins the theme of a 1900s train station! I guess I have another appointment with City Hall. The same thing happens in Frontierland. How dare these Cast Members wear sunglasses when they're supposed to be in an 1890s mining town. I am just horrified at the sight of seeing sunglasses in a land where sunglasses do not exist! How dare they ruin MY experience and destroy the theme. Who do they think they are trying to protect their eyes?! They should be suffering with the heat, just like real life in 1890 Painted Desert.

Ever since that day, I've seen Cast Members wear sunglasses passively, as if they just don't care that they are ruining guests experiences, especially my experience. Sunglasses should be banned from the dress code. No sunglasses unless it fits your work station. If you insist on protecting your eyes, you have hands. Sunglasses are totally unacceptable at Disneyland. If we don't come together and rid them of sunglasses, what's next, sunscreen? I mean, you'll be seeing Cast Members passively applying sunscreen all the time, passing bottles to one another. You can't wear sunscreen in Main Street and certainly not Frontierland, it totally ruins the theme and no doubt it will ruin my experience.

Sorry for my rant, I just can't stand to see these Cast Members having any sort of life inside Disneyland, except for the show. It just irritates me. It ruins my experience and the magic. Disney's always saying that we should "believe...", well how can I when these Cast Members keep ruining my experiences?

• It's all nonsense

Re: Use of Sunglasses Increasingly Becoming a Problem with the Show!

In the instance of BTMRR, I'd rather the CMs break the show a bit if it will keep them from being blinded by the sun, pressing the wrong button, and making my train go off the tracks.

Or they could just wear really big brimmed hats.

This is a joke right?

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Thank you for this thread. I actually posted a thread about this several days ago but it was long winded and no one took notice.

I totally agree with you. However, CM's must use sunglasses to protect their eyes from the sun and glare and UV and all that. However, why can't Disney issue sunglasses as part of the costume that would go with the specific costume? These sunglasses can be worn on bright sunny days or whenever the CM has the need for it. RR CM's can wear wire rimmed sunglasses and TL CM's can wear more funky plastic rimmed ones for example.

The only exception I would make are those CM's who need to wear glasses and if they have prescription sunglasses than those would be allowable as the cost of prescription sunglasses is way more than regular sunglasses anyone can wear.

• Comin' at ya!

They're people too...It's not like being a CM makes it so the sun doesn't have any effects,
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

• YOU KNOW IT! YEAH!

ummm....I like when they wear sunglasses. It makes them look cool i think. I saw a CM on TOT once he was in his bell hop uniform and was wearing these cool aviators with gold rims, not the gaudy kind...but classy looking and it TOTALY fit the style of the costume! He stayed in character and everything and i think it added a certain flair to the show that i like to see more often.

SUPPORT THE CMs

For me, Tomorrow is everyday...wait...what?

"The Disney Look" guidelines specify that glasses and sunglasses are to have neutral designs with no contrasting colors.

Wrap-around and less-traditional designs are prohibited, along with those that feature mirrored lenses. Additionally, sunglasses are an impediment to communication and should be removed when a host or hostess has a conversation with a guest. So, should the policies be revised, or do they need to be enforced better?

• It's all nonsense

According to Wikipedia sunglasses may have been used as early as 12th century China:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunglasses#History

• Man O Lantern

<---this is me if the OP is a joke (which I sincerely hope it is).

<---this is me if it's not a joke.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Let me repeat myself. Sunglasses can be purchased at Target for $5 - $20. Why can't Disney include period style sunglasses with the costume? They already are expensive costumes. They might as well pay the extra couple bucks and give out sunglasses with it.

• YOU KNOW IT! YEAH!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Let me repeat myself. Sunglasses can be purchased at Target for $5 - $20. Why can't Disney include period style sunglasses with the costume? They already are expensive costumes. They might as well pay the extra couple bucks and give out sunglasses with it.
    HERE HERE!!!! But i say skip the period ones for TOT and have everyone wear gold aviators!

SUPPORT THE CMs

For me, Tomorrow is everyday...wait...what?

• Closed Account

Is Snow White allowed to wear sunglasses? Alice? Any of the princesses?

Discrimination, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    In the instance of BTMRR, I'd rather the CMs break the show a bit if it will keep them from being blinded by the sun, pressing the wrong button, and making my train go off the tracks.

Or they could just wear really big brimmed hats.
    i agree. or on IASW when there directly in the sun.
    pshhh i guess

• Quality not quantity

Until such time as Cast Members are replaced by autonomous robots**
    They are in fact real people and real people who are out in the sun all day should wear some type of eye protection. I'm sorry if your entire day is torn to shreads by the mear sight of sunglasses but I think it's too much to ask for individuals to risk damage to their vision just because the look upsets you.

** Which by a strange coicidence will be they same day I leave Disneyland never to return
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

Blog Entries

> Execute Sarcasm Detector

< Sarcasm Detector 2.0 Activated

> Ping -l Sarcasm

< Pinging Sarcasm [131.0.0.1] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 131.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
    Ping statistics for 131.0.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms