Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

Space Mtn rehab - why so long?

Any reason why the Space Mtn rehab took more than 2 years? It is not a new track, and although some major work went on, I do not see how it could possibly take as long as it has.

The track LAYOUT is not new, but the entire track was rebuilt new from the ground up.
    I've seen the process from day one. It took along time just to dismantle the existing track. It had to be broken down into pieces small enough to fit through a relatively small opening in the side of the building. Likewise, all the new track had to go in through the same opening. Even though a lot of the track was pre-assembled at the back of the Katella cast lot (Pongo) it still had to come in relatively small pieces. Aside from the shell of the building, the entire attraction is "new", very little if any of the old guts being retained.

The removal of the old track alone was time consuming. A crane small enough to get inside through the opening and operate inside the building was brought in and piece by piece the track was cut apart and craned out of the building. That alone took weeks.

• Disneyland Freak

Not to mention that it closed a few months before any work was scheduled to occur.
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

I was always curious about this but, what happened to merit a relaunch of Space Mountain? Were guest numbers dwindling, was there structural damage? It just seems like a costly and lengthy way to improve an already popular attraction. Granted, I don't live very close to DL, so I am guessing as to the popularity of the ride, but it's a Disney mountain. I guess I just have a tough time seeing the logic in this, new track but same layout, new "guts" but overall the same experience. It just seems like overkill, can someone please enlighten me as to why this happened?
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• Banned User

Oh, I see. I personally am not excited about Space Mountain returning (I personally don't like thrill rides, although I enjoyed Rocket Rods), but I am glad the people who like it finally get to ride it.

I believe it did have some structural damage, Nixystyx.

• Disneyland Freak

Yes, if I remember correctly there were a number of problems with the 30+ year old track and welding jobs and patchup work wasn't cutting it anymore. I think a few weeks prior to it closing a train had derailed and after opening it again they closed it back down in April. Work wasn't scheduled to begin, I believe in August and it sat, from what I remember reading, untouched during that time period. Again, this is all what I think I remember reading
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

Quote Originally Posted by dlfreak
    Yes, if I remember correctly there were a number of problems with the 30+ year old track and welding jobs and patchup work wasn't cutting it anymore. I think a few weeks prior to it closing a train had derailed and after opening it again they closed it back down in April. Work wasn't scheduled to begin, I believe in August and it sat, from what I remember reading, untouched during that time period. Again, this is all what I think I remember reading
    yep that's exactly what I heard to

the track hadn't faired well and the maintenance on it wasn't that great either so it needed a complete do-over

I also remeber hearing the newer track type was a bit thicker do to more modern safty concerns and it required digging Space Mountain even further into the ground

not to mention it is disneylands 50th anniversary and they got us all excited about a new space mountain.

• Sector Two Droid Repair

I was phyisically the last guest on space mountain before they closed it down the next morning for two years. That track was extreemly shakey and loud. It felt like the train was going to fall off the track simular to the feeling I get on Ghost Rider at Knotts or a traveling carnival coaster.

A friend of mine is a mechanic tha works at DL. He said most of the track had become spotwelds over the years. Spotwelds are just not as strong as the actual steel. Things were really loose when they closed it.

All this because Pressler was too cheap to maintain the ride properly.
    http://www.endorexpress.net/
    Disneyland - It's better than drugs.

• More Than Meets The Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by 10-8atDisneyland
    The track LAYOUT is not new, but the entire track was rebuilt new from the ground up.
    I've seen the process from day one. It took along time just to dismantle the existing track. It had to be broken down into pieces small enough to fit through a relatively small opening in the side of the building. Likewise, all the new track had to go in through the same opening. Even though a lot of the track was pre-assembled at the back of the Katella cast lot (Pongo) it still had to come in relatively small pieces. Aside from the shell of the building, the entire attraction is "new", very little if any of the old guts being retained.

The removal of the old track alone was time consuming. A crane small enough to get inside through the opening and operate inside the building was brought in and piece by piece the track was cut apart and craned out of the building. That alone took weeks.
    Well that makes sense... I heard they were going to do a whole new track layout though (stupid rumor mills) and then when I heard it was same I wondered why it wouldve taken all that time as well. But now we know

Quote Originally Posted by MotorBoatCruise2005
    (I personally don't like thrill rides, although I enjoyed Rocket Rods)
    Rocket Rods was a thrill ride?
    Disneyland is the right of all sentient beings.

• Banned User

Rocket Rods was 35mph, which would make it fast and relatively thrilling, IMO.

• The one, the only...

I think we can thank Matt for getting it up and running for the 50th.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

I've heard that a new track layout was considered but Cythia wouldn't ok it or something like that

I'm pretty sure a new track was way out of the question by the time Matt came in

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by phruby
    I was phyisically the last guest on space mountain before they closed it down the next morning for two years. That track was extreemly shakey and loud. It felt like the train was going to fall off the track simular to the feeling I get on Ghost Rider at Knotts or a traveling carnival coaster.

A friend of mine is a mechanic tha works at DL. He said most of the track had become spotwelds over the years. Spotwelds are just not as strong as the actual steel. Things were really loose when they closed it.

All this because Pressler was too cheap to maintain the ride properly.
    Buhaha I beat you... me and a few friends of mine that were working frontierland were off of at about 12pm we were walking by the back of the ride after the last group of guests had left. One of my rides buds asked us if we wanted one last go on the ride before it was down for 2 years. =) So I was the last person in it hahahahaha
    Evil is lurking behind the matterhorn........ wait, that's just Mickey

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life
    Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    I've heard that a new track layout was considered but Cythia wouldn't ok it or something like that

I'm pretty sure a new track was way out of the question by the time Matt came in
    Very much so...I am sure the new track was already ordered and in production by Vekoma by the time Matt became President.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast