YOMD Not Included In Disney's April Press Releases

In the last week several press releases have come out about new attractions and attraction-related events at Disneyland and Walt Disney World. Interestingly, the Year Of A Million Dreams (YOMD) was not mentioned anywhere in any of these most recent releases. Previously, they'd been plugging any addition to the parks/resorts as a YOMD feature, or at least mentioning that the YOMD was going on at the park being mentioned in the release.

Today's Pirates Premiere press release had no mention of the Dreams campaign, even though you would think the Make-A-Wish angle touted in the release would have lent itself to mentioning dreams.

The official Disney releases earlier this week from Lake Buena Vista regarding the new Gran Fiest Tour attraction that just opened in the Mexico pavilion, and the revamped and updated Spaceship Earth attraction and its new post-show area sponsored by Siemens that opens later this year also had no mention of the Dreams campaign.

This is a recent change. Up until now anything and everything mentioned about the parks by official press releases mentioned the Dreams campaign.

Now maybe I'm jumping the gun, and these recent omissions of Dreams are just a coincidence or mean nothing at all. But on the other hand, this could mean Disney is backing away from the Dreams campaign that never really took off and seems to be deflating by the week every time I visit Disneyland.

Do you think Dreams will make it through the rest of calendar year 2007? Will the Dreams campaign suddenly spring to life again when they open Pirate's Lair and Finding Nemo to all that press and publicity? Or is Dreams done for already?

• Defying gravity

Re: YOMD Not Included In Disney's April Press Releases

Quote Originally Posted by TP2000 View Post
    Do you think Dreams will make it through the rest of calendar year 2007? Will the Dreams campaign suddenly spring to life again when they open Pirate's Lair and Finding Nemo to all that press and publicity? Or is Dreams done for already?
    That sounds like a reasonable assumption to make. After all, people like Nemo and Pirates much better than Dream FPs and light-up Mickey ears....

• Banned User

Year of a Million Dreams reminds me of when they were giving out Hondas or Toyotas or whatever at the main gate except now the prize isn't as good.

• Do You know?

They might be giving up on me, but I will not give up on them. I still sending the postcards and I will be stalking those CMs for the Dream Squad! I have to get something for as many times as I go, I just have to!

Quote Originally Posted by Disney1978 View Post
    They might be giving up on me, but I will not give up on them. I still sending the postcards and I will be stalking those CMs for the Dream Squad! I have to get something for as many times as I go, I just have to!
    Legally, I think they have to continue with the sweepstakes portion of this campaign, even if they are downplaying the Dreams campaign as a whole. I'm pretty sure once you announce you are giving out a certain number of prizes at certain dollar amounts, you have to follow through with it for legal purposes.

I just find it odd that they aren't mentioning the Dreams campaign at all in the press releases this past week about specific additions and events at American Disney parks.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

It's not surprising, really. It was only a matter of time before Disney started ignoring the Dreams campaign and started focusing on the theme park offerings with substance.

I wonder if this lack of Dreams will soon mean a lack of a job for Rasulo and is Dream Team? One could only hope.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Does this mean we have to sacrifice the fake swans in the castle moat? or the dreams banners all over the esplanade?
    I say get rid of the campaign and let Disneyland be Disneyland (at least until the next cheap promotion).

Quote Originally Posted by OneMansDream View Post
    Does this mean we have to sacrifice the fake swans in the castle moat?
    I kind of like those fake swans. About the only thing I really like regarding the Dreams campaign.

From the CM perspective; this Dreams thing was kind of corny and immediately struggled when it kicked off in October, then it just melted away under the frenzy of Christmas, and finally it shriveled up and died over the winter.

CM's lost all interest in The Year Of A Million Dreams about three months ago. We have enough work to do just keeping Disneyland being Disneyland for 50,000 paying guests each day, we don't need Annie Liebowitz to help us do our job.

At this point what is left of the Dreams campaign is just dumb, and I can't tell you how many times this past Easter Break I had to explain to people what they were getting when the Dream Squad showed up at the Mansion Foyer or Pirates Unload passing out Fastpasses or Ears or pin lanyards. Very, very few Guests even know this Dreams thing is going on. And even after they get the prize and the quick explanation from the Dream Squad and all the Attractions CM's at the prize location, they still aren't quite sure what happened or why.

The only people who seem to have been tipped off about this are the AP's on Sundays. But on a Tuesday when the AP ratio is lower, none of the Guests know anything about Dreams.

Six months after the campaign kicked off, and two launches from Burbank, the vast majority of Guests still have no idea what YOMD is about or that we are even doing anything. Try watching a "prize drop" at an attraction sometime, and you can see dozens of people scratching their heads going "Why are they just passing this stuff out saying 'Congratulations!' to us? What just happened?"

• Banned User

^^Agreed

As Al put, "dying on the vine." They'll give up eventually. It has done nothing for the parks and think about all the money wasted on decorations, (re-used) commercials, ads, logos, and alterations made in the parks to fit the dreams campaign. They might stick with "Disney Parks" and "Where dreams come true," but touting things as a part of the Year of a Million Dreams celebration is hardly useful. It doesn't make any sense and only makes people wonder what Year of a Million Dreams is. It has had to been re-launched; that was its sign of failure.
    Last edited by DisneyMickey; 04-14-2007 at 11:19 PM.

• Zero Blockout Dates

YOMD what a joke. Ranks right up there as one of the poorest planned and executed sales/ad campaigns I've ever seen fail.

I'm sure they'll whip it back up again when Nemo and Pirates Lair open.
    You just watch, considering how few CMs they have that can still pilot rafts
    they're going to make trips to Pirate Lair a YOMD prize.

JMO - but I'll bet ya a churro I'm right.
    Last edited by Uzmati; 04-15-2007 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Presentation, baby. It's all about the presentation
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM