Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

An inside look - What to expect this summer at Pirate's Lair at Tom Sawyer Island!

I got an e-mail from a CM friend regarding the Burning Settler's Cabin on Tom Sawyer Island sharing that it was going to indeed make a comeback. I relayed that message in the Burn that cabin again thread. After that, my CM friend passed on some interesting information regarding the upcoming additions to the new Pirate's Lair at Tom Sawyer Island.

With their permission I'm sharing it here. Enjoy.

We have all actually been surprised with most of what has been happening to the island (aside from the mast and zipline in the front). They are putting a big ship hull by the fort. The idea is that they are trying to make it look like a giant ship somehow wrecked all over the island. Most of us agree that, with the wreckage spread out the way it is, it seems more like Captain Hook's ship ran out of fairy dust and landed all over the island.

They are also working on a sunken treasure scene in smuggler's cove (with a skeleton attached to the treasure). The way it works is you pull a rope and it pulls the treasure up, then it pulls itself back down, then you pull it up, then it pulls itself back down again, then on the third try, you will be able to get the chest enough out of the water to see a skeleton hanging on it, at which point it'll pull itself back down.

They also plan on reopening the fort and are, in fact, adding a wheelchair lift for it. They want to open it up so that there will be an extra bathroom on the island and should have a fruit cart there.

The cave has been widened to make it wheelchair accessible and will now feature a skeleton that pops up in the middle of it (where the bottomless pit used to be). They have already ran the airlines for the skeleton. They claim that they will be adding an extra room to the cave. It should be another treasure scene. They say that they have been experimenting with an effect that should make it look like your hand is turning into a skeleton when you reach for a certain treasure. They said that they were originally going to try and use that effect in POTC, but did not perfect it in time for the reopening.

The only problem is that there are only 29 CMs left that have raft knowlege, that's including the night drivers, fantasmic shuttle drivers, and leads. We will be required to run 2 CMs per raft (we'll be using 3 rafts per day), plus a dock assist CM and at least 3 positions on the island (one for each wheelchair lift that they are adding).

Many thanks to the CM who went out of their way to share this info, the news is very exciting!
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 04-13-2007 at 11:00 PM.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Senior Minion

Re: An inside look - What to expect this summer at Pirate's Lair at Tom Sawyer Island

I love the new design on the cabin that is coming that I heard about as well. Really exciting news! Great to hear that it is coming back.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Re: An inside look - What to expect this summer at Pirate's Lair at Tom Sawyer Island

Awesome news! I hope this is all true, it sounds amazing!! When this opens there better be lots of photos, and lots of video footage!!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• n/a

THE FORT IS COMING BACK!!! ::happy dance:: Though I doubt it will have the guns... ::not as happy dance::
    “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.” ~ Mel Brooks

• Banned User

It really does sound wonderful! My faith is being restored.

Thanks so much for sharing this with us.

• Banned User

That sounds awesome! Especially if they do the effect where your hand turns into a skeleton hand. That would be amazing.

• I have returned !!

oooh thanks for all that !!

Mickey's cool but Johnny Depp Rocks !

Got Tiger? I do !!

LAST DLR Trip ? POTC: AWE PREMIERE !! 5-17~5-24
    next trip?? Dec 2007

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Wow--many thanks to Master Gracey and his CM source for the info--I wish it was more pleasant news, though (at least for me). I reserve complete judgment until I see the finished product, but this (and other) reports I have heard sounds like a death knell for Tom Sawyer Island. The "Pirate's Lair at Tom Sawyer Island" sounds more and more like "Pirate's Lair"--why am I reminded of another Anaheim re-naming project (Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim) in the recent past? I am really sad to see the TS theme degraded even further; but every new generation of Guests as well as Imagineers will have their say (sometimes at the expense of the generation before)--and that is the way of all things, I suppose.

• Feed the Ducks!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    The only problem is that there are only 29 CMs left that have raft knowlege, that's including the night drivers, fantasmic shuttle drivers, and leads. We will be required to run 2 CMs per raft (we'll be using 3 rafts per day), plus a dock assist CM and at least 3 positions on the island (one for each wheelchair lift that they are adding).
    We actually have a little over 30 raft CMs. Most of them are also canoe CMs. So far, we have been told there will bill 12 island positions, but that story changes everyday. I hope that we only need 10-12 raft CMs per day, that leaves me the chance to work canoes instead.

• Curiouser and Curiouser

Open...Fort

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Thank you Gracey!

It's nice to have someone willing to share ideas. Especially for attractions that all of us are very interested in the outcome.

Chad

• Animatronic

I hope they re-open the "secret" escape tunnel from the fort. If they actually use an off-theme ODV fruit cart instead of the built in service, I'll be wanting to escape quickly.

I want to see me hand turn into a skeleton... I wonder if it will by like the down-ward projections in the mall, where if you step on the computer image shown on a mat, it'll actually react to what you're doing.

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Thanks for the report. I for one am excited that they will be updating the island. Maybe they will get more use out of it.

I've been to Disneyland about 10 times and have never been to TSI. I might have to check it out on my next trip.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast