Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

THE BOB's DL Ten Year Plan

EDIT: (WARNING! It's probably best to get comfortable if you are planning on reading this. Pull up a chair, a cup of coffee. This is a very long post. Thanx!)

Alright, there's really no reason to this but to amuse myself for my own enjoyment but I figured that I would do some armchair imagineering this afternoon. So, I decided to put together a ten year refurbishment/expansion plan for my favorite park of all time, DISNEYLAND. Yes, I know that DCA probably needs it more, but I've heard so many great ideas for that park that I can't think of any that wouldn't be copying those. So just assume that while all of my refurbishments are going on that DCA would be undergoing some sort of overlay (either Jspiders L.A expansion or Morigoon's Disney's America overlay, both are awesome ideas). So anyways, my ten year plan begins AFTER the gradual Tomorrow Land overlay. Again this is because there are already so many threads about how to improve Tomorrow Land and I don't think I can anything original to what has already been said about that land. So anyways, my pretty much begins in 2008 and goes until 2018 and again, this is only for Disneyland.

2008-
    Winter season
    Alright, after TomorrowLand the second most neglected Land is Critter Country, so that needs attention first. Right after New Years, ALL of critter country gets boarded up and blocked off. The first half of the Critter Country overlay will focus on Splash Mountain, because that will need to be up and running by Summer time. Mostly this will be a regular refurb job, new paint job, change some of the lighting, fix what needs to be fixed. Also in addition to the regular refurbs, there is a good three minutes of the ride where nothing happens until you go into the Laughing Place. So, to go with the Song Of the South theme, during those three minutes instead of doing nothing an Uncle Remus narration will be there to tell you a little bit about the Brer's. This probably won't take more than a couple of months, but just to give the Imagineers time, the opening date would be mid may just in time for Summer.

Spring Season
    In the middle of the Splash overlay, work will begin on MAWP. Pretty much the whole ride will be gutted and ready for a complete upgrade.

Summer season
    SPLASH MOUNTAIN RE-OPENS IN MAY! The rest of Critter Country is blocked still barricaded leaving only room to exit. During this time preliminary plans for Pooh come into effect. The plan is to change many adventures of Pooh into Tokoyo's Honey Hunt. Throughout the summer, the process will be gradual, but by the end of the season the building should at least be ready to accomadate what is to come in.

FALL
    With summer out of the way, ALL of Critter Country will be boarded up again, including Splash Mountain. This will make room for all the construction that will be done. Hungry Bear will no longer be a restraunt but will be re-constructed to hold a different kind of bear. The area will be extended into the unused portion by Tom Sawyers Island for a que area. And the construction of The New Country Bear Jamboree begins. In the mean time, Pooh is now under ful construction mode, bringing in AA that they need and by Christmas will almost be 100 percent complete. Also during this time, Splash Mountain will get any kind of maintence it needs again.

Christmas season
    Once more Splash Mountain will be open to the public just because it is a very busy season. Around this time, The Bears will be being brought in from Florida and re-working will begin.

Winter and Spring
    Once more, Splash will be blocked off with the rest of the Critter Country and final touches will be done to the whole area. By this point Pooh should be complete and Jamboree will be just be ready install all of the AA and properly prepare the show. This will probably be a variation of the original CBJ show with a few upgrades for dating purposes. During this time, Pooh corner will get a complete re-working and pretty much not be Pooh corner but a shopping eating area featuring characters from all of the rides in CC. The building will now extend into the backstage area a little bit to allow more room. Pooh corner will now feature a new fast food place with tables and chairs inside as well as outside. Candy store will still be connected to it. And the store right next to the line of Splash will be re-built a little bigger and will feature Pooh, CBJ and Splash Mountain merchandise. The Pooh and friends meet and greet area will stay intact for the kiddies.

Summer
    CRITTER COUNTRY GRAND RE-OPENING. NOW FEATURING SPLASH MOUNTAIN, POOH'S HONEY HUNT and THE COUNTRY BEAR JAMBOREE! Imagineers take the summer off to bask in their success and plan their next steps on overhauling the park. This will be the last summer that HISTA will be showing.

Fall
    So now we are coming up on 2010 and HISTA by now will be incredibly dated and old (more so then it is now). So the show building will begin an overlay and the plans for Mission space in this building begins.

Christmas
    Mission: Space continues to be worked on. Also safe to note that this Christmas will be the last few showings of Fantasmic for a whole year and half.

Winter:
    Final touches and paint are added on the new Mission: Space attraction.

Spring
    Mission: Space opens to the public and gradual Fantasmic re-construction plans begin. Including finalizing a new script that doesn't take away from the old show.

Summer
    Most of this time, maintence begins on the new elements of Fantasmic and maintence on some of the old elements that need to be brought back. Costumes are made for the NBC scene that will be a part of the show and maintence is done to Ursula so she can be up and sailing again. The Dragon gets a complete overhaul and is made to look realistic. New images begin to be cut for the projectors and work on an AA Hades begins as well as the pyro that goes along with him.

Fall
    Usual fall refurbs begins, nothing new to report. Although, Toon Town gets a full inspection of what needs to stay, be improved, added or just plain needs to go.

Christmas
    Advertising for "THE NEW FANTASMIC" begins for the summer of 2011. Final touches are added to the AA and floats.

Winter
    Toon Town gets blocked off for a year, getting ready for a mini expansion and reopening for the 20th anniversary of this little land. Gizmo's Go-Coaster gets taken apart as well as bulldozing Chip and Dale's tree house to make room for the new dark ride to be added. For that reason, ToonTown station is not operational and the whole top half of Toon Town is boarded up as well. So no one can see that half of the land is being torn down.

Spring
    Auditions and dress reheresals begin for the NEW FANTASMIC as well as installation and test runs of all of the new AA and floats. The Mark Twain and Columbia and Tom Sawyers island are not operational do to rehab for the new show. Mini area expansion begins in Toontown as well putting up the building to build the dark ride in the area.

SUMMER
    Fantasmic re-opens. Gone is the Pinnochio "No strings on me scene", replaced by a Nightmare Before Christmas scene (Oogie's Roulette Wheel action sequence, no Santa though). New villain Hades added to the villains as well as a fully operational Ursula and an upgraded, better looking dragon sequence. During this time Toon Town gets invaded by even more construction workers and imagineers as the dark ride gets installed, parts of the area are re-painted, re-worked or taken out. Roger Rabbit's Cartoon spin gets a complete rehab during this time. New figures are added, as well as updated lighting and effects.

FALL
    The final touches are added to the dark ride, the que area is built where Chip and Dale's tree house used to be (the area expands a little more into the backstage area). The building for the dark ride is shaped like a school house and the words Toon Town HS are on it. The cars for the ride are installed and tested.

Christmas
    Last minute maintence is done to Toon Town, the expansion is complete now and ready for re-opening.

Winter
    TOON TOWN re-opens with a brand new attraction "A GOOFY RIDE", a dark ride based on the not so popular Goofy Movie. You begin at the Max's high school and from there you take a wacky road trip all the way to a rock concert. As well as new colors to the town and a slightly improved RRCS with new effects and lighting.

Spring
    This begins the years worth of planning and re-planning for the next big venture. For the next year, the park will remain as is aside from the usual rehabs and refurbs due to the fact that next year work on probably the biggest part of the park will begin.

Summer
    More planning for the newest e-ticket begins and the steps for new Fantasy Land.

Fall
    Much of the same

Christmas
    Same

Winter
    Phase one in operation FANTASYLAND begins. Since this is a huge bulk of the park the FantasyLand refurb will not to be done in halfs and done gradually, because you can't get to certain parts of the park without going through Fantasyland. So we are going to start with the Small World area first this area will include SW and what will soon become the Fantasy Land boat ride. So now that part is blocked off for now.

Spring
    SW gets the refurb treatment while the boat ride is re-installed with sleaker looking boats and a weird Disney animal theme (this will make sense I hope).

Summer
    Small World opens as well as the new boat ride which is now themed like a boat ride through an old township. You pass by classic scenes featuring the animals of Disney movies such as Lady and The Tramp, Aristocats, 101 Dalmations, Fox and The Hound, The Great Mouse Detective, Oliver and Company. This will be a very light duty ride, so no full on AA, but the figures will have some moving joints.

Fall
    Now it's time for phase 2 which will be just THE MATTERHORN. As with any Matterhorn refurb, the area and que will be blocked off. This time around though the ground will be dug into made a littel deeper for the que line. Also around this time, construction for phase 4 will already be beginning. The area beginning right after Casey Junior to the sky cabin to the Festival of Fools to right before Big Thunder Ranch will now be barricaded as re-construction and expansion begins at a very small stage, the land will be bulldozed and expanded.

Christmas
    The que for the Matter horn is almost complete, but the inside still needs to be re-worked. The gutting for phase four is still continuing.

Winter
    The actual Matterhorn ride is re-lighted, re-painted, added with new effects and some mist effects for the lift. Matterhorn snowman is upgraded into a bigger, scarier creature. Also "Christmas refurb" capabilities are installed for the ride, giving them room to add any Xmas effects if needed to in the future.
    Phase four is now complete as a digging procedures for the new E-ticket begin.

Spring
    The new Matterhorn re-opens with a two story que shaped like a ski lodge.

Summer
    Besides building construction on the phase 4 site begins, this is a pretty easy going summer. Basically a break time before the major phase 3 and the continuation of phase 4 begins.

Fall
    Phase 3 begins as the major part of Fantasy Land is now blocked off along with the phase 4 site. This area includes everything in front, in, behind the castle ending before the walkway going by the Matterhorn towards Small World and the new boat ride. Paint jobs are done on EVERYTHING, maitence is done on EVERYTHING. Snow White's Scary Adventure is completely gutted (sorry, but it needs to go). As well as The Sleeping Beauty portion of the castle, the castle itself will be expanded inside. Building on what looks like a weird middle ages prison begins on phase 4, it's a pretty big structure.

Christmas
    A pretty lackluster christmas this year with the castle still being down re-painted and new figures added inside. But one year to re-do everything is a sacrifice but beneficial. Refurbs on every dark ride continues as well construction on the phase 4, the asylum is getting bigger and bigger by the day, the que line is being built where the sky cabin used to be, it's going to be a pretty big que line.

Winter
    The new dark ride begins construction on where Snow White's Scary adventure used to be. Storybook land gets an update with some newer Disney classics being added in, including Hunchback of Notredame, Pochahantas etc. Now that the building of phase 4 is done now it's time for the hard part, actually creating the ride itself, AA are brought in, rooms are made, the track is constructed.

Spring
    Phase 3 is now over and The new Fantasy Land is now almost complete with the inside of the castle that features scenes of all of the Princesses. Not to mention a brand new dark ride based on Beauty and The Beast where Snow White's Scary Adventure used to be. As well as an improved Storybook Land.
    Phase 4 is still being created with the massive overhaul happening with effects and AA and tracks installed. That part of the park looks darker and darker by the day.

Summer
    The new E-ticket is still underconstruction, but posters advertising a 2016 opening are displayed.

Fall
    Again, E-ticket still being imagined and worked and re-worked. Matterhorn is now ready for it's first Chrismas refurbishment and undergoes it's down time.

Christmas
    A Matterhorn Christmas opens for bussiness, featuring bob-sleds with wreathes on them. The outside has decorations all over it as well as the que that plays christmas music as you wait. Instead of it being incredibly dark on the lift, it is now lit red with several decorations and the sounds of jingle bells. As you race through, you'll notice that you only pass the snow monster once, but he is wearing a santa hat and holding a candy cane. You race through what looks like Santa's work shop and the second snow monster is now replaced from Abominal snow man from Monsters Inc. As for phase 4, the track is now fully installed, now it's time to test the track as well as install the AA that will be involved and the rest of the effects.

Winter
    Matterhorn goes down for a few weeks to go back to it's old self. Final touches are added to THE ASYLUM e-ticket. Now it looks darker and darker than ever. Signs advertising "Evil makes it's hom in Fantasyland" appear all over the park.

Spring
    The E-ticket is now complete as crew is assigned and trained on the ride.

Summer
    THE ASYLUM opens up in Fantasy Land making it one of the more darker rides in Disneyland. Basically, it's a villains ride that utilizes the ride system from Indy. It is basically a prison where the villains get loose, this is also one of the few thrill rides in Fantasy Land, it features twists, turns loops and spins and massive special effects. For a more in depth view of this ride, read my post on the "what land do you want to see added" thread.

Fall
    The normal refurbs that happen, HMH, SW, and Matterhorn are down for the season.

Christmas
    The new DisneyLand celebrates christmas.

Now that the major stuff is done, that means it's time to improve the more popular rides.
    Winter
    POTC goes down for some major changes. Since it will have been years since the movies, it'll have proven the test of time. So changing the ride up to go with it will not hurt now. Jack Sparrow will be added to ride on the ship will black beard used to be and the second track for random night rides will now be installed.

Spring
    The second track continues to be installed as well as the Jack Sparrow AA.

Summer
    Unfortunately, POTC is still down and still under it's construction as well as the Moonlight walk AA being completed.

Fall
    Final touches added to the Moonlit walk on POTC

Christmas
    POTC reopens with a new twist at nights. A seperate track will take you to a scarier part of the ride with skeleton pirates leaping at you. Also Jack Sparrow is added to the ride.

And now we take a few years off.

Wow, I'm tired now. Anyways, I know it's flawed, but understand that I'm not too technical as much as I am just imaginative. Again, I know that alot of people won't agree, but it's just the stuff I want to see. And I know that the Disney planning doesn't stop there, because the park will never be complete.
    Last edited by THE BOB; 06-13-2005 at 02:56 PM.

• All you need is LOVE

Sweet

wow

that actually sounds pretty cool. I esp. like the updated fantsmic and mission: space ideas!

• Minion

EXCELLENT! I love it. I think that you have hit on something really big- there is not much more room in Disneyland, and now is the time to relook at lands like Critter Country and Toontown and make them as good as possible. I also really like your Fantasyland idea.

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market
    Sounds great!

I'm not too excited about taking out Small World though, or the scarier version of POTC that has been floating around for a while now, but everything else sounds like a lot of fun.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by jepple
    Sounds great!

I'm not too excited about taking out Small World though, or the scarier version of POTC that has been floating around for a while now, but everything else sounds like a lot of fun.
    Oh no, I wouldn't take out the small world. Just refurb it with new AA and lighting, that ride is not going anywhere any time soon. I just want to bring back the old motor boat ride in some capacity around the same time as well.

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

I don't usually get into these types of threads, but... how much room does Mission: Space take up? Would it fit either there or in the Carousel building? From what I understand the mechanics are huge. Also, how much room is actually available for another large E-ticket in Fantasyland? Or is your idea to put it in the Festival area? oh... ok, I get it. Ok, Cool!

Bob, I hope you stay with Disney long enough to work your way up to the Planning Department!

• Defeats the Huns

Love the ideas and your imagination! Just wondering, where would The Asylum go? I'm sure you said it but I couldn't find it again. I only ask because it sounds like such a great idea to have a villains ride. I LOVE villains!

As for getting Mission:SPACE, I'd rather get Mickey's Philharmagic... but I guess there wouldn't be room... maybe in your expansion of Toontown, they can fit in Philharmagic too? hehehe.

And if they ever REALLY bring Pooh's Hunny Hunt over, I'd be SOOOOO freakin' happy. But I think it's too early for them to actually gut this ride since it's one of the newest rides at DL.

I had a great time reading your ideas - hope you are not offended by my comments. Just giving you my opinions and ideas.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralShang
    Love the ideas and your imagination! Just wondering, where would The Asylum go? I'm sure you said it but I couldn't find it again. I only ask because it sounds like such a great idea to have a villains ride. I LOVE villains!

As for getting Mission:SPACE, I'd rather get Mickey's Philharmagic... but I guess there wouldn't be room... maybe in your expansion of Toontown, they can fit in Philharmagic too? hehehe.

And if they ever REALLY bring Pooh's Hunny Hunt over, I'd be SOOOOO freakin' happy. But I think it's too early for them to actually gut this ride since it's one of the newest rides at DL.

I had a great time reading your ideas - hope you are not offended by my comments. Just giving you my opinions and ideas.
    The Asylum would be from the sky cabin all the way onto the festival area, so I believe there is room. And I didn't include Philharmagic because it didn't seem like a good place to put in Tomorrow Land and I can't see room in the ToonTown area. Maybe a bigger Fantasy Land theatre can hold it.

And as for Speeder Scout's query about Mission: Space, I'm not really sure if the HISTA building can hold all of the equipment used to be honest. It just seemed like a good replacement in my head. It was either that or Alien Encounter. Like I said, my biggest flaw with these plans is that I'm not technical enough to actually figure out how much space is needed, etc.

• Having a Grand Day!

A Goofy Ride... Umm YEAH! A better name would be in order though (As would the Movie).

I thourgly enjoyed that The Bob and I hope to bump into you one day in Flower Street, Glendale. (We should speak soon, I have some ideas of my own for the DLR)

• Minion

I know that your plan is not supposed to be 100% realistic, but after the death on Mission Space, I seriously doubt Disney will be cloning that ride anytime soon. Maybe you could imagineer something else to go there?

• For old time sake

Quote Originally Posted by THE BOB
    And as for Speeder Scout's query about Mission: Space, I'm not really sure if the HISTA building can hold all of the equipment used to be honest. It just seemed like a good replacement in my head. It was either that or Alien Encounter. Like I said, my biggest flaw with these plans is that I'm not technical enough to actually figure out how much space is needed, etc.

I loved Alien Encounter when I was in Fl....9 yrs ago (wow, has it been that long?) and someone here omce pointed out, that while AE is a great idea, much like HISTA, it can get old. After much thought I can see that. So if The Bob's idea of Mission Space would not work due to lack of space, my suggestion would be to use the starcade area and move the arcade BACK to Main St. However, this would prove to be tricky as the exit to space is right there so nevermind. I say gut Innoventions then......
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by grvtydefy
    I know that your plan is not supposed to be 100% realistic, but after the death on Mission Space, I seriously doubt Disney will be cloning that ride anytime soon. Maybe you could imagineer something else to go there?
    Somebody died on Mission Space? What happened?

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by grvtydefy
    Well, it's good you said anytime soon because in my plans it doesn't open until 2010. The aftermath of the death will have been long over with by that point and DL will get the safer version with several safety signs and rider requirements. I mean they never retired Thunder Mountain because of the death, they just tried to make the ride safer (although I'm still scared everytime I'm in front of the train.) So, even after that tragic event it is still very probable that we would get that attraction sometime.

And that's kind of why I made the timeline, to give so much time to the projects in case anything like this or something a little more trivial to occur. That's also why I made the POTC revamp so late in my plan, to actually see if the movies could stand the test of time to where it would warrant a refurb.

• Im Mrs Americain Dream

The Bobs ten yr plan is awsome, id love to see it happening but it prob wont But alas im glad to see there's so many creative peepole around here, and i really want a villains ride now that its been mentioend
    ~I Am Finally Just Me~

My Youtube Video Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast