View Poll Results: WHO should live on "The Island"?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pirates

18 13.04%
  • Tom and Huck and the gang

53 38.41%
  • Both can live there peacefully

67 48.55%
Page 1 of 26 123411 ... LastLast

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

WHO should live on "The Island"?

With all the new info (thanks again to Master Gracey and his CM source for the scoop ) and rumors circulating about the new look for "Tom Sawyer Island", people are getting caught up in the excitement of something new, but is it a good idea?
    Do the New Orleans Square Pirates have any business in the American Frontier of the mid- to late-1800's? Historically they don't, but what about aesthetically? Are you in favor of this transformation? Or are you appalled by the "prostitution" of a literary (and Disneyland) classic?
    Will this "refurb" usher in a new renaissance for the "Island", or will it be the funeral of ol' Huck and Tom (and Becky, Injun Joe, etc.)? Or both? Or neither?
    I believe the press releases for this project are purposely downplaying the role of "Pirates" on "Tom Sawyer" Island, and what we will be left with when the dust settles is a "Pirate's Lair" Island, and yet again, Frontierland will have one less attraction.
    Will Huck and Tom be the new "Redheads"? Is this "A Portrait Of Things To Come"?:

• Banned User

Re: WHO should live on "The Island"?

It's the funeral of Tom, Huck, Becky and Injun Joe.

• Still lost in Neverland

I really don't see anything wrong with this for know. Anything that will get that Island fixed back up to a place that will draw people. The bridges will get fixed, the caves will get not only repaired but new things added, all kinds of interactive stuff will be installed, and eventually that poor old fort will get rebuilt and reopened. Since there are New Orleans Swamps, and there were pirates in the Tom and Huck stories, I don't see why they can't all share the space. Maybe not in total harmony, but I can see Tom and Huck hiding from the Pirates as well as Injun Joe. We all know that Disneyland is always growing and changing and that even some of the classic things have to make way for newer things. It makes perfect sense to me, and really, Tom and Huck don't have that much relevance to today's kids. That's not to say that makes me happy, as I think these books are great reading and really show what this country was like back in the day. But, that said, putting the Pirates out there does not in the least bother me. If you don't want to see Pirates, don't go out to the Island. You make your own choices.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    Tom and Huck don't have that much relevance to today's kids.
    Same excuse they used to destroy the SFR treehouse. Kids should go on the island and then be intrigued to find out just who Tom, Huck, Becky and Injun Joe are.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

It seems as if the name Pirates Lair at Tom Sawyer Island is really just to appease us more "hardcore" fans. I think they are really missing an opportunity. In fact, I think the company is flat out insulting the intelligence of today's children. Disney doesn't seem to think children will understand different times and looks of pirates. I'd have no problem with pirates on the Island if they were truely in the vien of Tom, Huck, and the American frontier rather than Carribean pirates from many years earlier.

The idea of different adventures could then be used much further in the future. Pirates could be what is on the island now. But in the future we could be lead on different imaginative adventures by Tom and Huck. These different adventures could all be hyped as something to come and see too.

EDIT: On second thought, Jack Sparrow and crew could work on the Island with Tom and Huck. Both are boys with a wonderful sense of adventure. They could tell use the "legend" of Captain Jack and the whole thing could be presented as stepping into their imaginations.

•   

I really don't see anything wrong with this for know. Anything that will get that Island fixed back up to a place that will draw people.
    If this is your justification, why not "Woody's" Island, or "Pocahontas" Island? At least they belong in Frontierland (sort of).
    Since there are New Orleans Swamps, and there were pirates in the Tom and Huck stories, I don't see why they can't all share the space.
    Really? Have you read Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn? I don't remember shipwrecked Pirate Sloops, and cursed treasure...
    Maybe not in total harmony, but I can see Tom and Huck hiding from the Pirates as well as Injun Joe.
    Well, there's "not in total harmony" and there's complete discord, and cacophony! Look, if they wanna put the "Pirates" there, put the pirates there, but Disney : don't p*ss down my back and tell me it's raining--this "refurb" has nothing to do with Tom Sawyer, so don't behave as this is some "enhancement".

• Disney worshipper/geek

OK, this is a touchy issue with me...

I tihnk they can coexist, in theory, and If done properly. If it were done according to the books and just throwing Jack Sparrow in there as an afterthought, not as the focus, that's fine. My mother said on this subject, and I agree, that Disneyland is a place for characters you don't normally see together to be seen together- Goofy dressed as a cowboy with Woody, Michey as an astronaut with Buzz, ALice characters and Peter Pan characters playing duck, duck, goose. It's lovely!

However, you know this is not going to be the case. This is not "improve the island for its own sake and preserve it". This is bandwagoning for the lowest common denominator. This is appealing to kids who will shell out money for the movie instead of read a book and know more about their world and open up their imagination. I mean, seriously, how long did those Tom and Huck storytellings on the island go on after the last refurb? The problem is the company willing to cater to the declining societal standards, and we have to struggle against it.
    My mind won't rest
    and I don't sleep
    Not even in my dreams...
    -"If You Ever Did Believe"
    written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
    1985-2005

•   

Quote Originally Posted by sorceress1986 View Post

I tihnk they can coexist, in theory, and If done properly. If it were done according to the books and just throwing Jack Sparrow in there as an afterthought, not as the focus, that's fine. My mother said on this subject, and I agree, that Disneyland is a place for characters you don't normally see together to be seen together- Goofy dressed as a cowboy with Woody, Michey as an astronaut with Buzz, ALice characters and Peter Pan characters playing duck, duck, goose. It's lovely!

However, you know this is not going to be the case. This is not "improve the island for its own sake and preserve it". This is bandwagoning for the lowest common denominator. This is appealing to kids who will shell out money for the movie instead of read a book and know more about their world and open up their imagination. I mean, seriously, how long did those Tom and Huck storytellings on the island go on after the last refurb? The problem is the company willing to cater to the declining societal standards, and we have to struggle against it.
    Wow--well spoken, Sorceress, and, as far as Disney motivations for this "refurb" are concerned, right on the money in my opinion

• rockin butter sponge!

Well, Disney owns ABC right?

Why not turn the island into...

LOST

haha

•   

Quote Originally Posted by Mineux View Post
    Well, Disney owns ABC right?

Why not turn the island into...

LOST

haha
    HA!! excellent. "Sawyer Island"??!!

• Knight that says Nee!!

My thoughts exactly. They have kept a moderate amount of Tom & Huck stuff on the island FOR NOW simply to appease the few voices who were disturbed at the thought of tossing out the literary origins of the island. Eventually, now that the Pirates have a foot hold on the island, Tom & Huck will eventually be completely phased out. It is a shame.

I would not be so bothered if they would stay with a literary source. "Treasure Island" is perfect and can point people to the great book it came from (true there are films for it) but I have the feeling none of the pirate stuff will have anything to do with the pirates of classic literature and will be themed more towards Jack Sparrow and a squid headed Davy Jones.

I enjoy the PotC movies, don't get me wrong, but I see no reason to change themes of whole sections of the park to appease what will ultimately be a movie fad that will end in a few years.

• Disney worshipper/geek

I agree, I love the movies very much. They're awesome stuff and a tribute to the ride. But this is getting ridiculous. It's not going to last as long as they think. The hype will die down or level out with many other Disney crazes. This is, like the '98 Tomorrowland, short-sighted.
    My mind won't rest
    and I don't sleep
    Not even in my dreams...
    -"If You Ever Did Believe"
    written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
    1985-2005

I totally agree with fo'c's'le swab and sorceress1986, if they just had the pirates included in the caves, then fine. The pirates should not really "be" there, more like they left stuff there from ages past for you to find with Tom and Huck......that would be the best thing they could do involving pirates. The movies are going to die down (or just completely fall through the floor if Disney keeps cramming sequals down our throats), so yeah, they definately should have thought this out better.

(Still, I like the effects, but rather they could have represented it better)

• Special Agent

The problem is the company willing to cater to the declining societal standards, and we have to struggle against it.
    Just because something is different, that doesn't make it a sign of declining standards.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Just because something is different, that doesn't make it a sign of declining standards.
    Pirates Lair is potentially lacking in artistic merit. The attraction may compromise both the coherence and believability of Frontierland. Such a lack of creativity is the antithesis of Disney and is beneath Disney's own historic standards of show quality.

Page 1 of 26 123411 ... LastLast