• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

3 Starcade ideas of mine

I have a few suggestions for Tomorrowland's Starcade. This comes somewhat as a result of the Laser Tag thread, but also ideas I have had for a long time.

First of all, I think it might be fun to have some Laser Tag up in the abandoned second level on the Starcade. The speedramps could be frozen and act as a queue to the Laser Tag, and I am pretty sure they can organize it enough so it is not full out chaos like at some places.

I also think, in general, they should change the way the Starcade operates. We pay enough to enter Disneyland, so maybe they can make the Starcade free to an extent. I suggest they use the playing cards, as in, you swipe the card in a little slot to play games. Entering the Starcade, they could give you a card with a certain amount of swipes/credits allotted, and then when you ran out, you could either buy more or leave. Most people would buy more, so they still make money, but offer a free sampling of some of the games too.

Third, bring the Starcade's interior more up to date with new murals and a more silver scheme instead of all white inside.

• Banned User

Starcade should close for 3 months. repalce games and then if they still have some extra in storage bring some of the old signey quest games there and rig it to work.

your admission gets you one free card of so many credits. then you have to pay for the rest?

when change the games out make it fit the land better??

They repainted the murals and the entire lower level of the Starcade just about 2 months ago.

The Starcade is NOT owned OR operated by the Walt Disney company. It is owned by Namco, which is one of the many Operating Participant companies that rent space and employ within the Disneyland Parks and Resort. So I don't think the fact that you paid enough to get in has any bearing.

However, its still cosmetically under the imagineers careful grasp, and I have always felt that it could SO easily be very cool rather than just blatantly a cheesy arcade. All they gotta do is add cool flashing lights, lasers, and music. Blacklights, etc. Just like the glory days. It doesn't have to be anything really expensive, but I think just making it a cool place would add to the overall feel of tomorrowland SO much.

• Banned User

Yes, figment, you get a certain amount of credits then you need to pay for more. That way, they still have a profit.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by turbo funky
    They repainted the murals and the entire lower level of the Starcade just about 2 months ago.

The Starcade is NOT owned OR operated by the Walt Disney company. It is owned by Namco, which is one of the many Operating Participant companies that rent space and employ within the Disneyland Parks and Resort. So I don't think the fact that you paid enough to get in has any bearing.

However, its still cosmetically under the imagineers careful grasp, and I have always felt that it could SO easily be very cool rather than just blatantly a cheesy arcade. All they gotta do is add cool flashing lights, lasers, and music. Blacklights, etc. Just like the glory days. It doesn't have to be anything really expensive, but I think just making it a cool place would add to the overall feel of tomorrowland SO much.
    ok.. then how about take whats left of the olde disney quest machines from the one they closed and they one they never built and bring those games to DCA?? employ that kind of thing... APs get a certine amount of credit a day.. and day tickeys get so much once.. and park hopers get more than day but less than APs.. they have all that empty space in the park right??

• Disney Secrets Master

The Laser Tag Thread was my Thread!!!!!!!!!! LOL!

I think that in my opinion the swiping the card, instead of paying game by game, does work better and is a better way to play! I do that at a huge arcade in Irvine called, "Dave and Busters" All the time and I love the Place! It's huge! Anyways, back to the topic, In my opinion I think paying for a card instead of game by game, usually makes more money, but just an opinion.
    Putting the um in forum. Um...

• Banned User

I've been to Dave and Busters -- and I think the card system is more convienient. You don't have to lug around change that way.

• Disney Secrets Master

Quote Originally Posted by MotorBoatCruise2005
    I've been to Dave and Busters -- and I think the card system is more convienient. You don't have to lug around change that way.
    Exactly, I always do the $25.00 deal every time and even after that I still end up paying $15.00 more!!! It's tricky because they tell you how much you spent but in credits! So most people don't really pay attention how many credits they've spent until they are all gone! That is one of the ways that they make more money! Plus you can put you're tickets on the card too! You should all go there sometime, you'd all love it!

One down in Irvine, another down in San Diego but they are basically all over in lots of the states! They've also got a resturant but now I am getting too off topic so I will stop now. LOL!
    Putting the um in forum. Um...

• Banned User

I personally think the Starcade would be so cool with the cards system and more of a themed enviorment inside.

• Sock Puppet

I just want a return to the Starcade of yesteryear, with full two stories filled with games. Upstairs would house the pool and air hockey tables. And having black lights up stairs would be cool too and it could be the only place in Disneyland that plays current popular music that's not pop. Basically, this will help create the teen hang that TomorrowLand should be.

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by THE BOB
    I just want a return to the Starcade of yesteryear, with full two stories filled with games. Upstairs would house the pool and air hockey tables. And having black lights up stairs would be cool too and it could be the only place in Disneyland that plays current popular music that's not pop. Basically, this will help create the teen hang that TomorrowLand should be.
    Yeah, I really miss the old Starcade. I remember spending countless hours/quarters in that area while my family went on Star Tours and Space Mountain. I was scared of any type of thrill ride (and in the 80's Star Tours was extremely thrilling) so I always hung out in the Starcade.

I still remember going by on the PeopleMover and seeing Dragon's Lair playing on the machines. That entire area was so filled with people and machines it really filled in Tomorrowland nicely. One thing I don't understand though, how did Disneyland remove all the "violent" shooter games in 1999 after Columbine if they don't operate the Starcade. Remember during Pressler's PC reign all the shooting games came out of Starcade after the shootings at Columbine? Disneyland seems to exert some kind of control over its arcades.

• Space Scout

One thing I don't understand though, how did Disneyland remove all the "violent" shooter games in 1999 after Columbine if they don't operate the Starcade. Remember during Pressler's PC reign all the shooting games came out of Starcade after the shootings at Columbine? Disneyland seems to exert some kind of control over its arcades.
    Since Disney is renting the space out, I'm sure they reserve a right to disallow certain games in the Starcade. Just like some landlords won't let you have a dog in their apartments.
    Help test MouseMosaic! PM me suggestions.

• Official Mice Chat person

They could really make the starcade awsome, with some black lighting and paintings of futuristic space style pictures on the walls, that glow in the blacklights. Mixed in with some natural light. I went in the place about 2 months ago, and it seemed so blah, and messey.

Yah. Actually I am an employee of an operating participant company at Disneyland. I have to obey my own manager, and then all disney managers above that. We are still required to live up to AT LEAST the same Disney standards and show as any other cast member.

• insufferable know-it-all

I just want the OLD air hockey tables back. The good, huge, metal-surfaced ones with the hard (yellow) pucks.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...