• I'd rather be @ D-land

Dad is a wood carver; need help showing him the amazing details in the park

Dad is a 69-year-old half marathon runner who's obsessions with carving and orchids rival my obsession with Disneyland. He will be going with me on my birthday and this will be his first time back in over 10 years. I know he will spend time looking at things like the tiki room and the things on Main Street and in the Gallery. But I would like your input on other ideas. Thanks.

• Premium Youngling and

Re: Dad is a wood carver; need help showing him the amazing details in the park

he would love fantasyland a lot i think... the wishing well has some nice carvings on it as well... and then there is quite a bit of woodwork in Pooh's Corner

• I'd rather be @ D-land

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Snowman View Post
    he would love fantasyland a lot i think... the wishing well has some nice carvings on it as well... and then there is quite a bit of woodwork in Pooh's Corner
    Good point; and I don't think he's seen Pooh's Corner. He does love Storybookland (I plan to order a DVD), the problem is he remembers it when all of the cast members who drove those boats where like alice in wonderland.

• Inhospitable about happy

A lot of the stuff in the Haunted Mansion is real woodcarving:

Show that to your Dad. If you talk to the CM's and explain your father's interest, and if it's not too busy, they might be nice and let him take a closer look. Worth asking.

• I'd rather be @ D-land

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    A lot of the stuff in the Haunted Mansion is real woodcarving:

Show that to your Dad. If you talk to the CM's and explain your father's interest, and if it's not too busy, they might be nice and let him take a closer look. Worth asking.
    Another great idea; Thanks!!

• n/a

What about the classic wooden indians of Main St and Frontierland. See if you can convince him that the bear outside of GRR is made of wood
    “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.” ~ Mel Brooks

• For You!

You must take him through the Grand Californian - The craftsman style woodworking will amaze him.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Too bad you aren't going to WDW, then you could show him the tree of life!

Hmmmm, are the merry-go-round horses wood?

A lot of the details that I would have thought are carved wood are actually molded with plaster or concrete and such. I guess your dad will be able to notice that. I hope he gets to meet Gepetto!

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

Go on Pinocchio's Daring Journey - the clocks/toys in the end sequence are all handcarved.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Yes, the Grand Californian is an arts and crafts style hotel, full of woodwork.

• the F.O.D. solution.

There's some great wood carvings in and around the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail.

• Rally Time!

yes, from above, i'd say anything to do with the Grand Californian/Redwood area, Tiki Room and Pinocchio
    a friend of Walt.

• I'd rather be @ D-land

Quote Originally Posted by Chapter13 View Post
    Too bad you aren't going to WDW, then you could show him the tree of life!

Hmmmm, are the merry-go-round horses wood?
    I believe so. He carved a carrousel (toy size) entirely out of wood, including the gears and the crank; it has 4 horses that go up and down - So he does enjoy Carrousels.

Quote Originally Posted by CoasterMatt View Post
    Go on Pinocchio's Daring Journey - the clocks/toys in the end sequence are all handcarved.
    Good idea - thanks

Quote Originally Posted by disney jones View Post
    yes, from above, i'd say anything to do with the Grand Californian/Redwood area, Tiki Room and Pinocchio
    Thanks. And thanks to all for all of the suggestions!!! Maybe we'll see you there!