Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

• Zapp's Minion :D

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Minion
    You say that every year. Get your butt down here already!

Hey, you know why I haven't moved down there yet!!! :o

• ...the legend

Blog Entries
    Secrets, secrets...
    I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
    That explains the trouble that I'm always in...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Zissou
    5.5 from WC? It's always taken us at least 7 to get down there from WC...the trips always start out so exciting but by the time the iBook and iPod batteries wear out...the ride down does too...not to mention being cramped in a car...but once you first glimpse at all the beautiful green and orange plants, when the Disney property starts, and realize your at DL...it's worth it.
    I think s/he meant 5.5 to LA central. I can do Anaheim in 5.5 (Stockton area) if I make sure to miss LA rush hour (which can be all day.) And while we have driven it 100s of times, I finally quit driving it and have opted (most of the time) for Amtrak. I get on the train at 8am, and am in Disney by 3:30 and I am not exhausted from the drive. While I would prefer to fly, with the cost these days (lowest fare is $380 per pax) and the cost of gas to drive, I can Amtrak the family for $150. Gas alone for the trip in May was $110. For $40, I can nap or watch videos and relax.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t
    I think s/he meant 5.5 to LA central. I can do Anaheim in 5.5 (Stockton area) if I make sure to miss LA rush hour (which can be all day.) And while we have driven it 100s of times, I finally quit driving it and have opted (most of the time) for Amtrak. I get on the train at 8am, and am in Disney by 3:30 and I am not exhausted from the drive. While I would prefer to fly, with the cost these days (lowest fare is $380 per pax) and the cost of gas to drive, I can Amtrak the family for $150. Gas alone for the trip in May was $110. For $40, I can nap or watch videos and relax.
    I was just looking at the Amtrak site the other day & It was about $100 round trip to Anaheim.

• Wide-eyed Tourist

Oh, we're talking about road trips, are we?

6 hours? I wish. Utah? Colorado? You're practically right next door!

My wife and I drove 3 kids ages 12, 5, and 1 from central North Dakota to DL, stopping only for gas, restrooms, and food. This took something like 32 hours.

Along the way, in western Montana, we went through a construction zone where it wasn't clear which lane we were supposed to be in. Both lanes had loose gravel, but the lane that the sign said we should be in had pylons running down the middle of it. It was either drive with 2 wheels off the road in the "correct" lane, or drive in the "wrong" lane... so we took the wrong lane. Big mistake. There was a pile of gravel about a foot and a half high that we didn't see until we were right on it, going 55mph (it was dawn and visibility wasn't great). I hit the brakes, we ramped it doing probably 35, and we were airborne... just like something from a National Lampoon's Family Vacation movie. Thank god nobody was hurt, and surprisingly there was no visible damage to our van. Shaken but laughing we continued our journey.

Best road trip ever. :o

• Minion FOREVER!

Let's see, we drive about half the time... It takes us anywhere from 5 1/2 hrs to 7 depending
    on LA traffic (if we go down I-5).

We have a DVD player and we end up watching two Disney movies. With
    a meal and restroom breaks, we get there ok. We usually leave early (for us, that's 5 am).
    And we'll get there before lunch. Also about half of the time we go down 101 instead
    of 5 and visit places along the way (SLO, pismo beach, solvang, santa barbara).

Usual reststops on I-5: Kettleman City, Fort Tejan(sp?)

Unfunny things: "Are we there yet?" ":-)

Fun things: when the kids see the Matterhorn, when they realize that the matterhorn
    is actually taller than the Castle

• Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Malibu Minion
    Right now a plane ticket to Anaheim is $150 and gas to get down there both ways is around $100.
    These trips could be planned a bit better than, say, an hour before leaving.
    Plan: buy SWA $39 tickets in bulk, i.e., a few trips at a time when they're offered. They're not always at the best times, though, so that is a drawback.

And, for $50 extra I'll take my 10 hours longer on a vacation.

• Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by nish221
    Fort Tejan(sp?)
    "Tejon." In a few years, there will be 20,000 people living there in a new development. The sprawl is closing in on Bakersfield.

• Mentat

Quote Originally Posted by uvsc_wolverine
    Try doing this as a 12-hour trip. All the way from central Utah. However, I don't have any kids, it's usually just me and a couple of friends. We run out of things to talk about within 2 or 3 hours, and just kind of live with being bored for the rest of the day.
    I've got you beat! I'm driving in September from Colorado Springs, Colorado...17.5 hours (splint into one long and one short day). I recently bought a power converter to run 110v in the Tahoe...so now kids can play "real" playstation on the LCD screen...Remember when we used to play card bingo and look for license plates?

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    These trips could be planned a bit better than, say, an hour before leaving.
    Plan: buy SWA $39 tickets in bulk, i.e., a few trips at a time when they're offered. They're not always at the best times, though, so that is a drawback.

And, for $50 extra I'll take my 10 hours longer on a vacation.
    I always forget to book a flight when its $39 at SWA Right now its $69 both ways to SNA or $59 both ways to LA. I'm really thinking about it, but the one to LA is at 6am.

• For old time sake

I always forget to book a flight when its $39 at SWA Right now its $69 both ways to SNA or $59 both ways to LA. I'm really thinking about it, but the one to LA is at 6am.

MM I live close to LA...as does Innerspaceman I believe. I am sure one of us woud not mind picking you up if you flew in early!!!
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Suspended

That's bad on two fronts: you have to get up at 3(?) to get to the airport by 5. Land in LAX at 7AM. That's the start of Rush Hour. I'd spend your extra $20 on flying through John Wayne.
    Any more of your money you want me to spend? I'm hungry for lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneykat
    MM I live close to LA...as does Innerspaceman I believe. I am sure one of us woud not mind picking you up if you flew in early!!!

Thanks Disneykat I'll let you know as soon as I find out for sure!

oops- For LA it's $67 each way & for Santa Ana it's $59 each way.

• More Than Meets The Mouse

I always drive late at night since, as was pointed out before, there is absolutely no scenery on I5. Besides, when driving by myself, who needs scenery when youre supposed to be paying attention to the road, heheh. Plus hardly any traffic whatsoever, so when ones foot gets a little heavy on the accelerator its ok because nobody else is around at 3am or so, heheh. Not to mention, I generally hit LA so early that there really is minimal traffic (shocking I know) so I breeze through pretty quick. It also only takes me 6 hours to get there, so by the time I get there I have time to hit breakfast before the park opens (or maybe a short nap, depending on my arrival time) then its off to the rides.

On a side note... I do miss that nice 1 1/2 hour drive I had when I lived in San Diego, lots more scenery and places to stop along the way.
    Disneyland is the right of all sentient beings.

• Former leftist media hack

For all of the NorCal people, kudos on nobody suggesting the drive down the 99 instead of the 5. it has more places to stop, but who wants to drive through Modesto, Fresno AND bakersfield???

And sediment, I have, like, $4.32 in my pocket. how should I spend it? :-)
    "I just want to say, this is the best trip ever." - Aidan at age 4

"No. I have no kiss in my mouth for Daddy." -Alida on Father's Day

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast