Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Now here's a thread I can relate to.

For the first time, we're going to drive down from Portland.

Me, my wife, three girls and a baby. Perhaps we are insane, but I intend to make the best of it. We'll be stopping in Sacramento on the way there and back, since I have family there and it can help split up the trip.

It's 980 miles the whole way according to MapQuest. Our Minivan has a DVD player fortunately, and we're hoping that between that and a whole lot of car games we'll keep them either entertained or sleeping for most of the trip. My wife and I can switch off on driving and make judicious use of rest stops.

We're going on the 22nd of July. I'll report back how everything goes, if we survive.
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

• Who's your DaddyB?

I used to drive down from NoCal when I lived up there... my gf (later to become my wife) would always laugh when we passed the "Hoseman" sign on the right hand side of the 5 as you're heading south. I always would put my hands on my hips (while I was sitting of course) and say it like it was the name of a double-entendre super-hero.

We were saddened to see that it had burned down when we moved back to SoCal in 2001.

But passing "Hoseman" was always a sure sign that you were finally getting close (I want to say Hoseman was near Downey, CA).
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries
    Last night I left 30 minutes later than my usual after work time... and it took a good half hour longer to get there thanks for traffic. Blah.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• At the Gym or at DL

Quote Originally Posted by EagleWings
    I live six minutes away so not much happens on the way. Although I am a street racer so my friends think the ride there is the first one of the day lmao. I try not to scare them too much with the lane changes every 5 seconds and 120 mph speeds there lol.
    So you're a street racer, huh? Do me a favor and let me know next time you're racing so I can get my family off the road.

Or better yet, do your racing on a track, might help avoid killing some family on their way home from DL.

Peace, brother.

Wow, thanks for all the great tips on travel from the Bay Area.

In junior high school we used to take the bus to Disneyland, that's the OCTD bus, to the bus stop at the DL parking lot exit on West Street, across from the Disneyland Hotel. Jack Wagner's voice would point out the bus stop from the parking lot tram as it crossed the street to the Disneyland Hotel.

One time on the bus (we were maybe 12 years old) we were laughing and horsing around, and discovered that we were irritating a large man near us. He started making fun of us, and he seemed really angry, so we stopped talking and sat there. But apparently that wasn't enough for him, after a while of sitting silently he slowly got up, acted like he was looking for a bus schedule, then suddenly turned and kicked me in the shin as hard as he could. Then we thought that was over with, but after some more silence he punched me in the head and knocked my glasses off. At that point we relocated ourselves to the other end of the bus! This was on the way home from DL.

That's probably the most eventful commute to or from the park I can remember.

• Pimp my Disneyland!

If a man leaves Colorado traveling at 75 MPH and reaches Disnyeland in 17.5 hours, and another man leaves San Diego Califrornia traveling at 78 MPH and reaches Disneyland in 2.3 hours, Which man will have more fun?

• And, THEN she said...

okay this is my version of drivng to DL from los Alamitos down Katella:

Stop..Go
    Stop..Go
    Speed by the racetrack
    AWW Sh** is that a cop? Slow Down
    Stop Go
    @#$$%% at driver who almost hit me
    Stop go
    %^%$ at old lady that made me miss my light she couldnt make her walker go any faster
    Stop go

Stop Go
    stop at liquer store foe smokes, a coke and tylnol!
    Stop go
    whoo hoo im there! now i have to go eat outside the park cause i used all my park food money for gas in the traffic!

• Minion

For me, growing up, Disneyland was not just about simply the being in the park, as it was the journey simply getting there... The park was the OZ at the end of a yellow brick road... When you spend 8 nasty sweaty in the back seat of a little red Honda Civic with your little brother... What you see on the road was a marvel... Bobbing Oil Rigs, Cows, Farms, Windmills, Mountain ranges, side trip detours, sometimes a beach, a romp through sprinklers in a city park in a swim suit to cool off, waving at truck drivers, reading "literature" at the rest stop restrooms, looking for rattle snakes on the side of the road...

When you went through this entire ordeal, you see the top of the Matterhorn pop over the freeway wall... And the endorphines kick in, adrenaline starts to pump... You knew you where in heaven...

If I knew I was headed to disneyland, I would pack a week before the trip... The night before I would get sick and throw up with excitement... At by 6 and be ready to go sitting in the car waiting to leave...

Ah the joys of being a kid...
    Check out my other blog:

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567