Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Closed Account

Disneyland Railroad on Bio-Diesel

Not sure if this was already posted: Here's an OC Register article on the use of Bio-diesel on the Disneyland Railroad.

The article is OK, but the best part is the discovery (under the "More Photos" button), that DL apparently has a new locomotive--the Ward Tinkerbell! Which is one of Disneyland's "four" steam locomotives. (How are these people getting journalism degrees these days?)

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1654549.php

• Collision speed....FULL!

Re: Disneyland Railroad on Bio-Diesel

And according to them, the Holliday has one L. I can't stand it when they can't spell a name correctly!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I didn't read the article but a couple things I have noticed about the new bio-diesel trains. The oily smell has greatly diminished. I have only smelled the soft french fry smell a couple times. Most of the time I smell very little, maybe a faint oily smell but nothing like before -- boy, do I miss that smell!

The other thing is the trains are not as noisy as before. By that I mean the "chugga chugga" sound they make. It was louder and more pronounced on the older fuel system. (I know Steve I am not using a technical term, but I am sure you understand what I am talking about)

I like the idea that DL is using "green" alternatives.

They barely mentioned it at the end of the article, but I didn't realize that the Jungle Cruise ran on compressed natural gas.

• Dont make me unfriend you

You know they have totally ruined the magic with this. If Main Street and the RR are supposed to be turn of the century technology, I want turn of the century technology! I what the nasty coal-burning smell of the train.

While we are at it. I don't think that "real towns" cleaned up the horse poop so fast from the streets. Fronterland should have the "horse poop" smell piped in to make it "feel" more real to us.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I didn't read the article but a couple things I have noticed about the new bio-diesel trains. The oily smell has greatly diminished. I have only smelled the soft french fry smell a couple times. Most of the time I smell very little, maybe a faint oily smell but nothing like before -- boy, do I miss that smell!

The other thing is the trains are not as noisy as before. By that I mean the "chugga chugga" sound they make. It was louder and more pronounced on the older fuel system. (I know Steve I am not using a technical term, but I am sure you understand what I am talking about)
    Actually, "chugga-chugga" is a perfectly acceptable term!

But in reality, that sound would be completely unaffected by the fuel used. The sound stems from the release of steam from the cylinders, once that steam has been used to push on the pistons to create movement. As the spent steam shoots up the stack, it creates the chugging sound--four chugs per every wheel revolution.

The fuel used does not play into the sound of these locomotive at all. But as others have noticed, it does alter a very personal experience one has at the park--the scents one associates with Disneyland. Odors are some of teh most powerful memory triggers. And in that regard, it's sad to see the change.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett240 View Post
    You know they have totally ruined the magic with this. If Main Street and the RR are supposed to be turn of the century technology, I want turn of the century technology! I what the nasty coal-burning smell of the train.
    The Ward Kimball locomotive--built in 1902--was originally constructed to burn oil fuel--not coal.

• Dont make me unfriend you

ok...I want that nasty oily smell. :P

While we are at it, I think they should pipe in "horse poop" smell to Fronterland. Make it more realistic.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Actually, "chugga-chugga" is a perfectly acceptable term!

But in reality, that sound would be completely unaffected by the fuel used. The sound stems from the release of steam from the cylinders, once that steam has been used to push on the pistons to create movement. As the spent steam shoots up the stack, it creates the chugging sound--four chugs per every wheel revolution.
    Interesting, but am I correct in my noticing that this sound has diminished? And if it has, what factor would contribute to this that wasn't there before?

• Closed Account

I don't know if the sound has diminished. I haven't been to the park in a while!

But I can tell you that if the sound has changed, it's not because of the switch in fuel.

Things that can alter the sound are mostly mechanical. For example, the valve that releases the steam from the cylinder might have been adjusted differently, or the engineer could be running the engine very gently. If the engineer has a "heavy hand" on the throttle, the chuff might be louder, sort of like stepping on the gas in your car makes the engine rev louder.

When the engine works harder--say, lugging the train up a grade--the chugging sound can get louder. As Disneyland recently leveled off some of their grades, you may be noticing that the engines aren't working as hard.

Also--you may notice that the steam locomotives always make a strong hissing sound--even when stopped. This is the "blower," and if the blower is turned up more, it has a tendency to drown out the chugging.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Several months ago, when Victoria and I were priviledged to have a "tender ride" on the E.P. Ripley, the fireman mentioned the use of bio-diesel. He added that it seemed the fire actually burned a little hotter on bio-diesel, permitting him to use a little less fuel. Even riding that close to the locomotive, I didn't really experience a "french fry" smell. The engine sounded normal to me. Admittedly, in both cases, I didn't have an oil-burning loco handy for comparison.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

I love the Ward Tinkerbell!
    I like the potential trend this could have started. I'd still like to see Autopia electrically (inductive charged!) powered, but this is a start.

• Closed Account

Finally someone comments on the engine's "new" name!

How is it possible to screw up the name that badly?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    And according to them, the Holliday has one L. I can't stand it when they can't spell a name correctly!
    Most likely resulted from uncritical dependence on a spell checker since it's a Proper Name.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Finally someone comments on the engine's "new" name!

How is it possible to screw up the name that badly?
    A lot of people (youngin's) these days can't spell properly without a spell checker - and thus treat it as gospel - or do simple arithmetic without a calculator.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast