Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• It's all nonsense

Riding the Matterhorn with toddlers

My son is almost tall enough to ride the Matterhorn, but he is only 15 months old. He can walk good, but can't talk yet.

Has anyone had experience taking toddlers on the Matterhorn? Will cast members let any age child on as long as they meet the height requirement?

I'm thinking it might be a little too bumpy, but he's liked every other ride (Pirates, HM, etc.) we've taken him on.

• Defying gravity

Re: Riding the Matterhorn with toddlers

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    My son is almost tall enough to ride the Matterhorn, but he is only 15 months old. He can walk good, but can't talk yet.

Has anyone had experience taking toddlers on the Matterhorn? Will cast members let any age child on as long as they meet the height requirement?

I'm thinking it might be a little too bumpy, but he's liked every other ride (Pirates, HM, etc.) we've taken him on.
    Wow your son must be pretty tall (at least 35"). In all technicality, I suppose the only thing that they check for is height. It is up to you as a parent to decide whether or not your son is prepared enough and whether it will be safe enough for him to ride.

• Hiding in the shadows

For some reason I though the Matterhorn was 3 years and 35 inches, so they may not let him ride yet. It was closed during our family trip in October, but I will be taking the girl on it next time we go, she is 3 1/2 and just hit 40 inches without shoes.

I think even if they would let him ride, it may be too bumpy at that age (still dont have great muscles in the neck), but probably in another year you shoudl be fine.

A little piece of heaven

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I always got flack from family for bringing my youngin's on Matterhorn. It's been a few years but I think there was a time when there wasn't a height requirement.

My theory is, kids are only afraid of rides if you or someone give them the thought that it could be scary. Bring em' on and let them decide before they hear "oh isn't that too scary?" Some rides my kids loved, others they didn't. But, if they are kicking and screaming in line or when you sit down, don't do it.

Good luck!

Chad

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Your kid is tall! My youngest daughter was almost 4 when she was tall enough to ride the matterhorn.
    For a 15 month old, it might be too bumpy. But thats JMO.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Dont make me unfriend you

well, I scared my daughter when she was 3 or 4 years old on the Matterhorn. I myself hadn't been on it for a long time.

In the first tunnel, as you climb the mountain, it's dark and then all of a sudden the Yeti growls and the red "eyes" come on. It made me jump a little (I forgot it was there) and it just freaked out my daughter.

She screamed most of the ride. Seeing the Yeti scared her too.

She's wasn't hurt or anything, just a little scared. But this first experience has made or a little gun shy of going on it again....

So, if tall enough, they might let him on. Of course, I don't know your son or how he will react. I think my jumping didn't help my daughter's fears. But I forgot about the growl.....

• Hiding in the shadows

OK so sitting ehre second guessing myself I have gone to several websites to try to figure out why I thought there was an age requirement, because the Disney site definitely doesnt show one. Anyway, I think this was where I got it from (not sure if I would call this "official", plus it has Goofy's Bounch House, which isn't anymore, so its old)":

http://www.hiddenmickeys.org/Disneyl...trictions.html
    Disneyland

Children under 7 should be accompanied on other attractions as well (Snow White's Scary Adventures, The Haunted Mansion, etc.)
    Children under 7 should be accompanied on other attractions as well (Snow White's Scary Adventures, The Haunted Mansion, etc.)
    • Indiana Jones Adventure, Temple of the Forbidden Eye
      General health restrictions (see note), min height: 1.16 metres (46 inches).
    • Haunted Mansion
      Some scenes may be frightening for younger children.
    • Pirates of the Caribbean
    • Splash Mountain
      General health restrictions (see note), min height: 1.02 metres (40 inches).
    • Big Thunder Mountain
      General health restrictions (see note), min age: 3 years AND min height: 1.02 metres (40 inches).
    • Snow White's Scary Adventures
    • Matterhorn Bobsleds
      General health restrictions (
      see note), min age with adult: 3 years, min age: 7 years.
    • Chip 'n Dale Tree Slide and Acorn Crawl
      Min age: 3 years, max height: 1.22 metres (48 inches).
    • Goofy's Bounce House
      Min age: 3 years, max height: 1.32 metres (52 inches).
    • Gadget's Go Coaster
      General health restrictions (see note), min age: 3 years.
    • Tomorrowland Autopia
      General health restrictions (see note), min height: 1.32 metres (52 inches).
    • Star Tours
    • Rocket Rods
      General health restrictions (see note), min height: 1.16 metres (46 inches).
    • "Honey, I Shrunk the Audience"
      Some scenes may be frightening for younger children, and high volumes may cause discomfort for those with sensitive hearing. Strobe lights are used as special effects in part of this attraction.
    • Space Mountain
      General health restrictions (see note), min age: 3 years AND min height: 1.02 metres (40 inches).

Disney's California Adventure

Children under 7 should be accompanied on other attractions as well (Sun Wheel, Redwood Creek Challenge Trail, etc.)
    • The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
    • Grizzly River Run
      General health restrictions (see note), min height: 1.06 metres (42 inches).
    • Soarin' Over California
      min height: 1.02 metres (40 inches).
    • Orange Stinger
      General health restrictions (see note), min height: 0.91 metres (36 inches).
    • Jumpin Jellyfish
      min height: 1.02 metres (40 inches).
    • Mulholland Madness
      General health restrictions (see note), min height: 1.06 metres (42 inches).
    • California Screamin'
      General health restrictions (see note), min height: 1.22 metres (48 inches).
    • Maliboomer
      General health restrictions (see note), min height: 1.32 metres (52 inches).
    • Redwood Creek Challenge Trail
      Some activities will be limited to those above: 1.02 metres (40 inches) and 1.12 metres (44 inches).

A little piece of heaven

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Shaken Baby Syndrome? Really, I suppose it's nothing to joke about, but, seriously, that is one bumpy ride, 'Hatter...

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by frecky View Post
    Your kid is tall!
    He's a big boy. He's not quite 35" yet. Last time he was at the doctor's I think he measured at 32 or 33".

So it could take a while to jump those few inches...but I was curious non the less.

• Mousketeer

The height restriction on the Matterhorn in a fairly new addition. It used to just be the age restriction. My children have loved the ride since they were 3, because it was the only roller coaster without a height restriction, it was thier first rollercoaster.

I wouldn't take your kid on before 3. and then go on the fantasyland side

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

He's a big boy. He's not quite 35" yet. Last time he was at the doctor's I think he measured at 32 or 33".

So it could take a while to jump those few inches...but I was curious non the less.
    It sounds like theres the possibility that he may have to be 3 regardless of his height. You could always call and ask.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Eeek, a 15 month old? A child that age is let into Disneyland for free, and with good reason. They're too young to enjoy a lot of attractions, due to physical and mental safety.

I don't know your child of course, but if he can't even talk yet, I wouldn't do it. Wait until he's 3 (as Disneyland states), and then take him on the Fantasyland side, as the ride is gentler.

If you're going to take a child on a thrill ride, they should be old enough to answer you whether or not they would like to ride. Make sure he sees that it's a roller coaster.

Being frightened by a ride at an early age, if if old and tall enough, can really affect a kid. After riding Splash Mountain (maybe I was 5? not sure) in the dark of night, I was NOT a happy camper, and as a result I feared that ride for most of my childhood. I tried to avoid it at all costs. I have a terrible fear of heights. Ironically, it's now my second-favorite attraction, but I had to grow a lot to enjoy it

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

15 months is way too young for a child to go on many of the rides, let alone the Matterhorn.

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    15 months is way too young for a child to go on many of the rides, let alone the Matterhorn.
    He'd been on every attraction in DL that doesn't have a height requirement except for HISTA and Autopia before he was 1.

• Say no to Assimilation

I took my youngest on it when she was 2 1/2. She liked it a lot and rides it all the time now. She calls the Yeti the "monkey with bloody eyes". It is bumpy and I was holding on to her tightly. I might wait until your son can communicate with you better so you know how he is feeling and how to best accomodate him.
    "He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side; if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion" --John Stuart Mill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast