Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34
  1. #1

    • Know More Than You Should
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Experiencing Technical Difficulties
    Posts
    2,906

    Lincoln- That's it, I'm Writing

    Quote Originally Posted by Me, in a Message to the Disneyland Resort
    Dear Disneyland,

    To get right to the point, I am emailing in response to your recent actions in relation to the Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln attraction on Main Street USA. Or, to be more specific, the lack thereof.

    Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, as I'm sure you know, was originally created for the state of Illinois pavilion at the famed 1964/65 World's Fair in New York. In 2001, it was given an overhaul including a new storyline with Matthew Brady and a focus on the Civil War and Gettysburg address. This also included the addition of new headsets that allowed guests to experience the attraction with binaural "three dimensional" sound, both as an addition to the experience and immersion of the attraction and to make it more appealing to a modern audience.

    The attraction is historic both in the story it tells and in and of itself, as one of the first Audio Animatronic attractions.

    Unfortunately, there have been points where Mr. Lincoln was rumored to be closing in order to be replaced with some other, newer attraction. While this is not necessarily a bad thing I know there are many people including myself who like the Lincoln attraction and would be saddened to see it permanently dropped from the roster of experiences offered at the Disneyland resort.

    So it made fans of the attraction, including myself, nervous when it was announced that Lincoln would be removed temporarily, in order to install the "Disneyland, the First 50 Magical Years" exhibit at Disneyland. To this end, posters on Main Street told that Lincoln would be returning at the conclusion of the 50th Anniversary celebration.

    It is now 2007, and soon Disneyland will be turning 52 years old. All of the wonderful gold accents, hidden 50s, and photo murals have been removed from the park, as it is now in the midst of the "Year of a Million Dreams".

    However, the Steve Martin and Donald Duck film, as well as it's accompanying displays, remain in the Opera House.

    The intent of this message is not to demand that Disneyland keep its promise and return Lincoln to the Opera House. However, I as a guest and frequent visitor to the Disneyland resort find it unacceptable that a very clearly outdated attraction remains untouched on Main Street USA. If the film or exhibit must remain, it seems reasonable that they should be updated to remove mentions of Disneyland's 50th Anniversary. If plans are, as they were announced to be, for Lincoln to return, it would be nice for at the very least some announcement to that end. And if Lincoln will not be returning so that Walt Disney Imagineering can bestow upon us some new experience, than so be it. But the "Disneyland the First 50 Magical Years" is an attraction who's time has come and gone.

    I am not a political man, and I hate to use a political analogy, but I truly feel that it is time for Disney to announce some sort of "Exit Strategy" for the attraction. It was clearly never intended to remain in the Opera House after the conclusion of the 50th anniversary, and as one of the first things guests see upon entering Disneyland park it is something that should be seen, if at all possible, as a priority so that Disneyland can continue to grow and evolve in the next 50 years and beyond.
    https://secure.disney.go.com/disneyl...=ContactUsPage

    EDIT: The reply:

    Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Guest Communications
    4/20/2007


    Dear Mr. #######:

    Thank you for your e-mail to the DISNEYLAND® Resort. We appreciate you
    taking the time to share your experience with us.

    We appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts with us. As
    you are aware, our goal is to provide the finest service and
    accommodations. Please be assured we take your comments very seriously.
    Your remarks have been forwarded to the necessary leadership team so
    they are aware of your feedback.

    Again, thank you for contacting us. Comments such as yours are welcomed
    in that they assist us in evaluating our operation and our success in
    generating happiness for our Guests. We hope you will have the
    opportunity to visit the DISNEYLAND® Resort soon and that our
    attractions and entertainment will delight you in every way.

    Sincerely,

    Michelle LaMore
    DISNEYLAND® Resort
    Guest Communications


    Received date: 4/19/07
    Last edited by Club 33; 04-20-2007 at 02:07 PM.













  2. #2

    • n/a
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,206

    Re: Lincoln- That's it, I'm Writing

    I dont think that telling them the history will help your cause much... they probably already know.
    “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.” ~ Mel Brooks



  3. #3

    • Up is Down
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    california
    Posts
    2,713

    Re: Lincoln- That's it, I'm Writing

    they know the history! They just need a reason to bring it back and it isnt back yet so, they dont have a reason!
    The earth is round.... or so i've found.

  4. #4

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    North Bay, CA
    Posts
    1,611

    Re: Lincoln- That's it, I'm Writing

    Wow... good letter and very thoughtful. I am also a big fan of the Lincoln attraction, I rarely make a visit to the park without visiting Lincoln, much to the chagrin of family and friends that come with me and aren't always of the same mind set. That being said, they are always glad we went, they either had never seen it or forgot how moving and cool it is.

    Let us know what the folks at Disney say in response to your letter. I didn't realize that Lincoln wasn't back yet... the last time we went, we got pressed for time and missed the visit to the Opera House.

  5. #5

    • Know More Than You Should
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Experiencing Technical Difficulties
    Posts
    2,906

    Re: Lincoln- That's it, I'm Writing

    Quote Originally Posted by demento57 View Post
    I dont think that telling them the history will help your cause much... they probably already know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    they know the history! They just need a reason to bring it back and it isnt back yet so, they dont have a reason!
    Well- yeah, I know. Perhaps I'm a little to used to writing academic essays, where first you have to introduce and contextualize your argument.

    I know I come of as just lecturing but I wanted to show that I am someone knowlegable and care about the attraction. Frankly the whole thing is too long, and way to preachy. A short and pointed note probably would have been better.

    But I've just been listening to music from the attraction (very stirring stuff!) and it just saddened me that I couldn't go and see it...anywhere. So I wrote, for whatever good it will do (probably very little).













  6. #6

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    North Bay, CA
    Posts
    1,611

    Re: Lincoln- That's it, I'm Writing

    I thought the background did exactly as you said, it shows that you know something about the history, appreciate the attraction on multiple levels and therefore aren't just some kook with a gripe.

  7. #7

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,478

    Re: Lincoln- That's it, I'm Writing

    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Lover 68 View Post
    therefore aren't just some kook with a gripe.
    OH come on, that's what every Disney fanatic that wants Lincoln to return is

  8. #8

    • California Golden Bear
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    University of California, Berkeley
    Posts
    194

    Re: Lincoln- That's it, I'm Writing

    excellent letter, i found it eloquent and well-written and while perhaps, as a student myself, I too am just used to writting accademic essays, I still felt that introducing your letter with a brief history really set the tone well. That history, which they should know, and probably do, should be mentioned because it is being ignored. Let's hope Disney listens to your thoughtful and sincere argument and returns this classic attraction, or at least replaces the 50th film. I'm with you on this one.
    "Once a man has tasted freedom he will never be content to be a slave. That is why I believe that this frightfulness we see everywhere today is only temporary. Tomorrow will be better for as long as America keeps alive the ideals of freedom and a better life. All men will want to be free and share our way of life... I thank God and America for the right to live and raise my family under the flag of tolerance, democracy and freedom."
    -Walt Disney, March 1, 1941

    “Whatever success I have had in bringing clean, informative entertainment to people of all ages, I attribute in great part to my Congregational upbringing and my lifelong habit of prayer. To me, today, at age sixty-one, all prayer, by the humble or highly placed, has one thing in common: supplication for strength and inspiration to carry on the best human impulses which should bind us together for a better world. Without such inspiration, we would rapidly deteriorate and finally perish. But in our troubled time, the right of men to think and worship as their conscience dictates is being sorely pressed. We can retain these privileges only by being constantly on guard and fighting off any encroachment on these precepts. To retreat from any of the principles handed down by our forefathers, who shed their blood for the ideals we still embrace, would be a complete victory for those who would destroy liberty and justice for the individual.”
    Walt Disney, Deeds Rather Than Words

  9. #9

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,061

    Re: Lincoln- That's it, I'm Writing

    The last time I attended the 50 Magical Years exhibit, about a month ago, the CM in the preshow area explained that the show was being extended past the 50th anniversary to allow as many people as possible to see and appreciate the exhibits and history of Disneyland. And then she also mentioned that Mr. Lincoln would be making a return, sometime in late spring or summer.

  10. #10

    • He's a Beautiful Pirate..
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Not Close Enough to the House of the Mouse
    Posts
    352

    Re: Lincoln- That's it, I'm Writing

    I'm with you on this one as well! Excellent letter. Yes! Do let us know if you receive a response.

  11. #11

    • Know More Than You Should
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Experiencing Technical Difficulties
    Posts
    2,906

    Re: Lincoln- That's it, I'm Writing

    Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    The last time I attended the 50 Magical Years exhibit, about a month ago, the CM in the preshow area explained that the show was being extended past the 50th anniversary to allow as many people as possible to see and appreciate the exhibits and history of Disneyland. And then she also mentioned that Mr. Lincoln would be making a return, sometime in late spring or summer.
    *Channels Carousel of Progress*

    I'll believe that when I see it!

    Honestly, I was fairly confident that it would return when they actually put on the sign just before Lincoln was removed that it would return. I think if Disney was planning a "pocket veto" with Lincoln so-to-speak they wouldn't have gone out of their way to say it would return.

    It's probably just a scheduling/budgeting thing. But hey, here we are in 2007 and DLTFFMY is still there. So I'm willing to be patient, I just want to see Lincoln back in his rightful place so that I can go and see it again.

    In the meantime, music from the score of the attraction can be found on the website of the composer, Joel McNeely:

    http://www.joelmcneely.com/filmography/mrlincoln/













  12. #12

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,061

    Re: Lincoln- That's it, I'm Writing

    Excuse my ignorance Club33, but what is DLTFFMY?

    Yeah I'm disappointed that no sort of official announcement has been made, but I don't think the CMs in charge of the spiels would be given false information...even though Disney has been known to suddenly change decisions.

    "That's my wife Sarah!"

    Great music find btw, somehow I haven't heard these before!

  13. #13

    • Queen of Sarcasm
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4,331

    Re: Lincoln- That's it, I'm Writing

    I might be in the minority but I like the show they have now. Then again I love Donald Duck so that might be why.





  14. #14

    • Comin' at ya!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Encino, California
    Posts
    3,205

    Re: Lincoln- That's it, I'm Writing

    Yeah, not to be a negative nancy but they don't listen it seems...Whenever I've seen someone send them a letter like this, they get an automatic response "Thank you bla bla bla we here at disney want to make sure our guests bla bla bla." I could be wrong tho...
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

    http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude




  15. #15

    • Comin' at ya!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Encino, California
    Posts
    3,205

    Re: Lincoln- That's it, I'm Writing

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateChick View Post
    I might be in the minority but I like the show they have now. Then again I love Donald Duck so that might be why.
    I love the new show they have now! It's really cool, and I wish they could have Lincoln AND the show with Steve Martin.
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

    http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude




Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Name Writing: the lost art??
    By Maddies Mommy in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-24-2008, 04:57 PM
  2. Journal Writing
    By PrincessY in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-19-2007, 01:29 PM
  3. Not sure why I'm writing this..
    By RooBear in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 08-20-2007, 02:13 PM
  4. Can you read the writing in IJA?
    By Gwendolen in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 08-16-2007, 09:49 PM
  5. Strange writing...What does this say?
    By Dr. Earkid in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-07-2006, 06:54 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •