Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Minion

Re: Guest Assistance Cards

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Hi everyone, so I have a question for you all...I'm extremely claustrophobic and love enjoying the attractions but I just cant stand in the long lines with all those people surrounding me, or the space mountain / HM / Indy queue, but I don't have any type of medical papers proving this, I know you can receive a Guest Assistance Card (GAC) at City Hall, but do I need medical documentation or proof that I have this problem? or will they just trust me?
    All the advice given so far is worthwhile but call DLR Guest Relations before you go to get some official advice and perhaps some suggestions. If the CM answering is not very helpful, ask to speak to a lead or manager who might have more experience.

They won't take a medical verification for conditions but you might ask your medical professional for some advice on how to deal with the situations.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    All the advice given so far is worthwhile but call DLR Guest Relations before you go to get some official advice and perhaps some suggestions. If the CM answering is not very helpful, ask to speak to a lead or manager who might have more experience.
    Actually, if you call, all they will say is to come to City Hall when you arrive and they will evaluate the situation. They are very cautious about what they say over the phone.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Actually, if you call, all they will say is to come to City Hall when you arrive and they will evaluate the situation. They are very cautious about what they say over the phone.
    And who could blame them? Any little piece of advice that could get you a front of the line pass for being claustrophobic would be spread via the Internet within weeks. There would be a line out the door to City Hall to get the passes for "claustrophobia" once the trick to it was learned and spread to thousands of Disney fans on popular websites such as this.

The sad thing is it's that scenario exactly which only allows Disneyland to offer the bare minimum services required by law. Disneyland is really stuck between a rock and a hard place here, and there's not much they can do for many folks but suggest they use Fastpass or plan their Disneyland visit for a rainy Tuesday in February. I don't blame Disneyland management or the City Hall CM's one single bit for being so defensive and protective when it comes to GAC's.

On many busy mornings as I enter the park, City Hall itself often has a long line going out the door and down the sidewalk. Considering that many of the people in that line are there to inquire about GAC's that get them out of line, I always find that fascinating.
    Last edited by TP2000; 04-20-2007 at 09:51 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TP2000 View Post
    The sad thing is it's that scenario exactly which only allows Disneyland to offer the bare minimum services required by law.
    I just want to say Disneyland is one of the most disabled friendly theme parks around. Technically, bare minimum would be just making sure lines were accessible. But Disney goes way above and beyond this by offering sign interpreters, CC, assistive listening devices, and handheld captioning for the deaf. They have added specifics such as a slide board for the SM rocket to alow those paralyzed to transfer.

They go way beyond what many parks do, and far above what the law requires. But, people don't realize accessible doesn't mean front of the line. With the new GACs, the playing field is closer to even. But people will still try and cheat the system.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by nursemelis374 View Post
    Mickeydogmom - I am not claustrophobic, but I thought your suggestions were great!
    NurseMel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's so good to see you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xoxoxox

I just want to say Disneyland is one of the most disabled friendly theme parks around. Technically, bare minimum would be just making sure lines were accessible. But Disney goes way above and beyond this by offering sign interpreters, CC, assistive listening devices, and handheld captioning for the deaf. They have added specifics such as a slide board for the SM rocket to alow those paralyzed to transfer.
    Oh, I totally agree with you! It just seems that so many people still complain because they weren't given front of line access for their "disability".

Disneyland does an amazing job at so many things when it comes to customer service, especially compared to the rapidly lowering standards at most other service industries, with the lone exceptions of fancy five star hotels or perhaps international first class airline service (preferably the foreign lines like JAL, Singapore Air, or British Airways).

Disneyland's response when it comes to disabled service is just one of those examples of how they still have high standards. Yet I don't blame Disneyland management one bit for playing their cards close to their vest when it comes to releasing information on what they do offer exactly.

• Disabled Guest Pro

Oh, I totally agree with you! It just seems that so many people still complain because they weren't given front of line access for their "disability".

Disneyland does an amazing job at so many things when it comes to customer service, especially compared to the rapidly lowering standards at most other service industries, with the lone exceptions of fancy five star hotels or perhaps international first class airline service (preferably the foreign lines like JAL, Singapore Air, or British Airways).

Disneyland's response when it comes to disabled service is just one of those examples of how they still have high standards. Yet I don't blame Disneyland management one bit for playing their cards close to their vest when it comes to releasing information on what they do offer exactly.
    As a person with disabilities I totally agree that DL goes way above and beyond the "bare minimum." They are one of the best theme park anywhere when it comes to providing accomidations for the disabled. They have been much more careful about who they help now then they were a few years back because of the widespread abuse. DL guest relation CMs will listen to your condition and give you an appropriate GAC card if needed. However, they do not hand out blanket front of line passes anymore.

As for the OPs situation, I agree that although you could talk to Guest Relation CMs to see if they have any suggestions on what you could do, they most likely will not issue you a GAC card. I know in the past on certain rides CMs would allow you to wait near the fron until the rest of your party goes through the line and gets to where you are waiting.

Fastpass is your best bet for all of those rides that have it. If you can't go in the off season, you should make sure to get to the park early, use early entry etc. to ride the rides like HM that do not have fastpasses before the lines get long. That way you have those out of the way and can use fastpass on the others and that could take care of it for you.

Hope at least some of this is helpful. Enjoy your visit!

• Minion

What is interesting to me is the majority of disabled only want accessibility. They are happy that Buzz is accessible and they can use the regular lines. They don't want special treatment. They just want to be able to go on the same rides with their friends and family.

But, yes, we also see those who come and get upset that they can't go right to the front. "What do you mean the line is accessible??"

• Disabled Guest Pro

What is interesting to me is the majority of disabled only want accessibility. They are happy that Buzz is accessible and they can use the regular lines. They don't want special treatment. They just want to be able to go on the same rides with their friends and family.

But, yes, we also see those who come and get upset that they can't go right to the front. "What do you mean the line is accessible??"

I have seen that ALOT!!!!! You hear them yelling I can't wait in line and giving the attractions CM a hard time. Its sad really.

Now, do I use my GAC when I really need to, yes. Do I abuse it and insist that I go to the front of the line no matter what, no. If it is a day or a part of the day that I really would not be able to stand in the line I will use fastpass for all attractions that have it, and there are many attractions that will issue me a handwritten pass to return at a later time, or if I have my fiance or another adult with me i will wait off to the side sitting on a bench or wall or in a wheelchair until they get close to the front. You would be amazed how many people come up to me if I am in a wheelchair or an ECV and say something like "I can't believe that I have to wait in the line because they said that the line is accessible, I mean come on can you believe it?" My response is, "yes I can, as long as the line is accessible they are not required to give you any type of additional assistance." I get soooooo many dirty looks and rude under their breathe comments its amazing!

• Defying gravity

OP: So are you claustrophobic to the point where you are only bothering by standing in lines for extended periods of time? Is it not a problem as long as you don't have to wait? The majority of the attractions at DL involved closed/covered spaces.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Actually, many other parks have gone farther than Disney has. The best example is Busch Entertainment/SeaWorld. They have built non-moving simulators for those who can't ride the moving version, and even made specific pre-shows for them. They frequently offer Sign Language days, and most rides have special loading areas for wheelchairs. Busch was using seperate loading areas for vehicles before Disney did (such as Space Mountain and GRR).

Universal was the first to offer open captioning for its film/video based presentations, long before ADA required it.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    OP: So are you claustrophobic to the point where you are only bothering by standing in lines for extended periods of time? Is it not a problem as long as you don't have to wait? The majority of the attractions at DL involved closed/covered spaces.
    I'm not a psychologist and I don't intend to start playing one on Micechat, but that seems like a people-proximity issue that the OP has as much as what is traditionally considered claustrophobia which is related to spaces. Still they are both realted to feeling closed-in.

I think that perhaps they should consult with their medical professional to see if a very mild sedative to address anxiety symptoms combined with other loading strategies discussed here might be an effective solution. I don't think that strictly trying to manage the ride process is going to be satisfactory.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    I think that perhaps they should consult with their medical professional to see if a very mild sedative to address anxiety symptoms combined with other loading strategies discussed here might be an effective solution. I don't think that strictly trying to manage the ride process is going to be satisfactory.
    Right. Walking thru Adventureland near Indy is much worse than any ride. Trying to get food at the Stage Door is about the worse situation for MDM. She loves their funnel cakes, but always sends us while she holds a table. Try and find tables along the "edge" of the seating area. This way, one side is usually open and not surrounded by others. And have clear cut plans for crowded areas. We usually make plans to meet at a specific place when we enter a crowded area so we don't try and stay together. This allows MDM to move thru the crowd at her pace (usually faster) and we can meet up in a quieter area. Some rides will be harder than others. Jungle Cruise you end up sitting shoulder to shoulder. Have your friends sit on either side, and just not scoot all the way down. Same with the train. Try and ask for the first row in Indy. Middle rows are harder as you are completely surrounded. If you are in a middle row, try and be on the end. Nemo will be difficult. If you think you will have issues, you can use the alternative viewing area. Not sure how this will be, but we can find out when the time comes.

• no flash photography...

MickeyDogMom wants to ride Nemo when it opens. I thnk she will be ok unless it E-stops. If it E-Stops, she might lose it. (Heaven help the person near the hatch...) Between teh claustrophobia and the asthma, not a good combo to be trapped like that.
    The submarines at DL did not bother me as bad as the real submarine. It still freaks me out...especially going down that tight ladder, but once inside looking at the windows was OK. I just didn't look around the sub at all.

Like many others have stated. I think the crowds in the park are way worse than the lines. Adventureland, tomarrowland and when splash is open down in critter country are bottle necks. Fantasyland can be just as bad and then there's all the lines to get food...the buffeteria lines......I would think the rides for the rides would be the least of my concerns. When the walkways are to crowded we often get in a line to get out of the madness of the walkways....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12