Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• :)

Guest Assistance Cards

Hi everyone, so I have a question for you all...I'm extremely claustrophobic and love enjoying the attractions but I just cant stand in the long lines with all those people surrounding me, or the space mountain / HM / Indy queue, but I don't have any type of medical papers proving this, I know you can receive a Guest Assistance Card (GAC) at City Hall, but do I need medical documentation or proof that I have this problem? or will they just trust me?

• Yes ... Wicked! ;)

Re: Guest Assistance Cards

City Hall does not have anything that would be able to assist you if you suffer from claustrophobia. I would just recommend that you come on a day that is not busy and that you do the rides at the begining of the day or durring the parades/fireworks.
    If you go to City Hall and tell them that you have claustrophobia (even if you have documents) they can't help you. Not that they don't want to, there is nothing for them to give you.
    Sorry.

• Rat Tat Tat.

I can only suggest that you use FastPass as much as possible, so at least you won't have to deal with the people for as long.

Exclamation Re: Guest Assistance Cards

Fast Pass on busy days, otherwise visit during the week in the off-season.

That's all you can do. No other way to cut in line (and please do not give the CM's a hard time about it). Gotta be fair to the thousands of others who are waiting hours in line all day long.
    -Wes

• Rat Tat Tat.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley815 View Post
    Fast Pass on busy days, otherwise visit during the week in the off-season.

That's all you can do. No other way to cut in line (and please do not give the CM's a hard time about it). Gotta be fair to the thousands of others who are waiting hours in line all day long.
    Feel free to ask the CM's though, sometimes it can help.

Quote Originally Posted by revol yensid View Post
    Feel free to ask the CM's though, sometimes it can help.
    City Hall/Guest Relations will be glad to help as much as they can. Although if you don't get the answer you want to hear, there is no reason to get upset at attractions CM's who won't allow you to skip the line (happens everyday anyways).

Just think if there was a pass for anyone who said they had claustrophobia and let them go to the front of the line. There would be a thousand guests at City Hall to get one. It's sad that some people will take advantage of certain things that others actually need.

Kinda like when friends/family use their hang tag to take up handicap parking spots (even if the person who actually needs it, isn't in the car).
    Last edited by Wesley815; 04-20-2007 at 01:43 PM.
    -Wes

• All you need is LOVE

Well I think you can try city hall. Or get fast passes.

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

The GACs can help with specific needs, like stairs or wider entrances, but there isn't anything that gets you out of standing in lines. I agree with the people who say utilize fastpass - that's your best bet.

Wink Re: Guest Assistance Cards

As another claustrophobic, I can tell you the HA lines can be even worse. Because not only are there people but large objects like wheelchairs and walkers that would get in your way to escape. And your ritually moved about to get in and out of the way and into the lines. Add onto that in DL the lines aren't really "set" in stone so they can be in akward areas. (I know that without my service dog in training we would be even more crowded).

I find most of the lines are wide enough to be fine but not HM, I used to pass out on that ride it was so "closed in". I would use FP's but I also use my family. They keep the crowd from getting too close. I tend to walk in front and they make sure the people behind them don't push up on me.

I like to find "chill out" areas to "escape" to when I'm overwhelmed. My family and friends know that my line of: "Your in my bubble" or "Your standing too close" means get away now.
    The more people I meet the more I like animals. -Unknown

Blog Entries

Mickeydogmom - I am not claustrophobic, but I thought your suggestions were great!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

My Step mother is claustrophobic. They gave her like a pass that allowed her to wait at the loading area at Indy until the rest of her party made it to the front. This was a few years ago, not sure if they do it anymore.

Something like that makes a ton of sense. The person with claustrophobia waits the exact same amount of time and she didn't have to endure the bat caves, etc.

I hope they still do this. Ask a CM at the front of IJ if this is possible. If you are going alone, good luck.

Chad

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Hi everyone, so I have a question for you all...I'm extremely claustrophobic and love enjoying the attractions but I just cant stand in the long lines with all those people surrounding me, or the space mountain / HM / Indy queue, but I don't have any type of medical papers proving this, I know you can receive a Guest Assistance Card (GAC) at City Hall, but do I need medical documentation or proof that I have this problem? or will they just trust me?
    As the mom of a pretty severe claustrophobic, I can guarantee you the line you would be in with the GAC will be worse. BUT, they don't issue a GAC for this. If you are this claustrophobic, many rides will cause you problems. HM would make MickeyDogMom pass out. The closing darkness in the doombuggy would exacerbate the problem, she would get cold an dclammy, then out she would go. The lines were nothing for her compared to the ride itself. Once we figured it out, she was able to work thru it. BTW - The HA wait area at Indy is really nasty for a claustrophobe. You are in a very tight hallway blocked on all sides. The open areas of the regular lines are much better for her.

Ways to work around this, position yourself at the front of your group, then have the rest of your party block the line from behind you. At restaurants, try and sit at the far end of the areas. You may want to give someone in your party your order and be the table holder as the lines for food are among the worst in Disneyland for a claustrophobe. Watch out for rides that crowd cars. You may want to just avoid them.
    Last edited by Malcon10t; 04-20-2007 at 03:32 PM.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• no flash photography...

I have sight claustrophobia. It took me a good 15 to 20 minutes to get up the courage to go into the submarine at the Queen mary. Two of my biggest fears, tight spaces and knowing I'm underwater or below the waterline.

That being said, try to relax, practice calming breathing. Most of the lines do not bother me. BTMR line really bothers me though. That part where you have to go up the stairs before the loading area and you're inside the box building thing. I hate it. I usually will not look at the other people and I try to concentrate on soemthing. this only happens when the line stops right there. If we move right through I'm fine.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    I have sight claustrophobia. It took me a good 15 to 20 minutes to get up the courage to go into the submarine at the Queen mary. Two of my biggest fears, tight spaces and knowing I'm underwater or below the waterline.
    MickeyDogMom wants to ride Nemo when it opens. I thnk she will be ok unless it E-stops. If it E-Stops, she might lose it. (Heaven help the person near the hatch...) Between teh claustrophobia and the asthma, not a good combo to be trapped like that.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by nursemelis374 View Post
    Mickeydogmom - I am not claustrophobic, but I thought your suggestions were great!
    THANKS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    MickeyDogMom wants to ride Nemo when it opens. I thnk she will be ok unless it E-stops. If it E-Stops, she might lose it. (Heaven help the person near the hatch...) Between teh claustrophobia and the asthma, not a good combo to be trapped like that.
    I will be much happier now that I'm older and I realize it's not FULLY going under the water. Thinking about it now is making me a little panicky, but I'm still going (along with an inhaler and a swimming buddy ), but that may be the only time.

OP: If you're a claustrophobic, I would think the lines would be the least of your worries, they're controllable. It's the mayhem of the walking to the rides, trying to find a spot to eat, standing on the bus (because you won't sit shoulder to shoulder with someone), trying to get a souvenir in a store, etc...
    The more people I meet the more I like animals. -Unknown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast