Haunted Mansion Loading Area Lighting

Remember when the Haunted Mansion was a lot darker in that area right before you get into your Doom Buggy? This was after coming down the hallway with the changing portraits. It used to be really dark, and actually, maybe a little TOO dark. Seems like you almost had to just feel your way along -- jostling along with the large amoeba of fellow riders. So, a little more light would be good. But now it's just overkill. Looks like somebody went to Home Depot and got a bunch of lamp posts and then sorta gave 'em a quick Imagineering-izing and a healthy cobwebbing. Too many fixtures and too bright! They could have just enhanced the walkway with more subtle pools of light to help you see where you were going, but in a more subdued and artistic way. Give me back my darkness of the mouldering sanctum! Ha! WWCD (What Would Claude [Coats] Do?)

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Re: Haunted Mansion Loading Area Lighting

well, the probably wanted to illuminate more scenery in the loading area. And too being able to see whare people where going. Cast memebers also have to see whether or not people are behaving themselves... if its too dark they cant see from the loading area. etc

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

It feels like the lighting shifts every time I go (about once a month).

I think the biggest issue with the lighting is in the seance room...if it's too bright, Leota's strings are very visible.

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    It feels like the lighting shifts every time I go (about once a month).

I think the biggest issue with the lighting is in the seance room...if it's too bright, Leota's strings are very visible.
    I don't know why Disney just doesn't have an on/off switch for the lighting... they shouldn't need to dim or brightem them all the time. they need to just leave them where they look good at. What would chuck norris do?

• Inhospitable about happy

I've been griping about this forever.

See: Long-forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect?

• Banned User

To me the loading area has always been the one weak point. It feels really empty including the ascent up the staircase. It really seems like there should be something there.

Lightbulb Re: Haunted Mansion Loading Area Lighting

Disney could be changing the lights over the years, but it also has something to do with your own eyes (if you think it changes all the time). Basically, if you come in from a bright sunny day everything will seem MUCH darker. Or if you ride at night/dark cloudy day it will seem lighter inside since your eyes are already adjusted to the darkness outside. Kind of like how when you first turn off the lights in a room you can't see much, but after a minute or two things become more clear.

You'll also notice it more during Haunted Mansion Holiday since the expanding room is darker to start with.
    Last edited by Wesley815; 04-24-2007 at 09:01 PM.
    -Wes

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley815 View Post
    Disney could be changing the lights over the years, but it also has something to do with your own eyes (if you think it changes all the time). Basically, if you come in from a bright sunny day everything will seem MUCH darker. Or if you ride at night/dark cloudy day it will seem lighter inside since your eyes are already adjusted to the darkness outside. Kind of like how when you first turn out the lights in a room you can't see much, but after a minute or two things become more clear.

You'll also notice it more during Haunted Mansion Holiday since the expanding room is darker to start with.
    True, I recall seeing an episode of mythbusters where they tested that.... never really thought of it that way... well, if everyone would stare into the sun for about 30 seconds vefore entering.. then it should be back to its old self in no time. lol

Quote Originally Posted by FantasyWatersDude View Post
    True, I recall seeing an episode of mythbusters where they tested that.... never really thought of it that way... well, if everyone would stare into the sun for about 30 seconds vefore entering.. then it should be back to its old self in no time. lol
    Yep, lol... I was a CM on Mansion for a couple years and noticed the difference between day and night all the time. It'd almost seem totally pitch black dark after coming in from a VERY bright summer day outside. Going back and forth all day inside & out, you can understand why Mansion (or other indoor attractions) CM's will quickly put on sunglasses. Disney Look approved of couse
    -Wes

i miss the giant spider!

• "YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE.."

Well personally, my issue with the loading area isnt the lighting... but rather its more or less a giant black room with minimal theming, aside from the cobwebs, and a green eerie light.

I personally would say keep the lighting, but theme the whole room better. Perhaps like a secret corridor. or the grand staircase like they do in Paris.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

IMHO I like it better with the brighter lighting that it now has. I remember it being very dark and yes, it was a bit more scary and foreboding, but I also remember it being so dark that you were taking a potion of your journey through the hallway trying to figure out where the rest of your party was. Which, in my opinion, distracted from the experience. I was much more worried about figuring out where Aunt Martha was than allowing the atmosphere of the hallway creep me out. Not only that, but the increased lighting allows one to see in greater detail the decor of the area, which is no less than beautiful.

I think they should make it like Disneyland Paris' Phantom Manor boarding area... The backdrop is a grand ballroom staircase, and it feels like it belongs in a mansion.

It's kind of random that inside the mansion there's "limbo."
    "To all who come to this happy place, welcome!"

Visit The Disneyland Report - Disney News and Secrets and Mickeypedia!

• i need Disneyland!

too dark for me. im getting molested by kiddies whenever im in that area...WAH!