Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Fighter Pilot

Re: What happened to the themeing in DCA?

One thign you have to keep in mind in comparing anything to DCA is that DCA is based on CA itself. And what does that mean? CA history is set in stone, theres no way of changing it so you have limitations to CA because a thign this size the detail has to be near perfect since its set in stone. Which doesn't leave much to the unlimited power of yoru imagination like DL. DL is where the magic happens cause the imagineers minds can run wild. Not when it comes to a theme park after a State. Thats where I think DCA is not a big draw just because imagineers are limited at what they do. You can't change CA's history so you can't change it in a theme park. Thats that.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeMan33 View Post
    One thign you have to keep in mind in comparing anything to DCA is that DCA is based on CA itself. And what does that mean? CA history is set in stone, theres no way of changing it so you have limitations to CA because a thign this size the detail has to be near perfect since its set in stone. Which doesn't leave much to the unlimited power of yoru imagination like DL. DL is where the magic happens cause the imagineers minds can run wild. Not when it comes to a theme park after a State. Thats where I think DCA is not a big draw just because imagineers are limited at what they do. You can't change CA's history so you can't change it in a theme park. Thats that.

There's replicating history and there's using concepts and ideas to create something better than the actual product that inspired it. An idealized vision.

I'm sure Main Street, USA wasn't that colorful in Walt's hometown. Or perhaps it was...but maybe not as clean. Or maybe not as charming. But the basic idea is there to create something more magical than it is.

It's the extra bit of pixe dust needed... i think passion has a lot to do with it. The creators of DCA weren't passionate (or financially supportive) enough about CA to really do the state and the Disney name justice.

It's a nice park though. Much nicer than many other competitive parks in the area, but the Disney name used to be all about breaking new ground. Being better than the last and never stepping backwards.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Fighter Pilot

but Main St was just inspired by his hometown, its not a real place. Take Mattahorn for instance, its a 1/100 scaled replica, meaning its near perfect to the real structure. Because it was based one something and not just made up. I'm not saying DCA is just a museum, you can see they're trying to make it all magical, but its really hard to its a tough task. I enjoy the park and they're bathrooms. DCA just can't add a ride called the great Missionary and have a hokey pokey ride about Missionary's in CA. Of course now they would just redue it to something like Pirates of the Missionary's so forget that idea. But they are havign fun with it like old time Hollywood. But theres limitations on how far you can elaberate on it. Of course you can't have it realistic with crack heads on the street and urine on the streets, which the real Hollywood has. All I know is DCA is going to have a little trouble just because its based on a state. Rememeber though, the original idea was to be Wescot, an east coast version of Epcot, and I'm sure that wouldn't have been a hit.

• Disgruntled Former CM

Wink Re: What happened to the themeing in DCA?

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    There's replicating history and there's using concepts and ideas to create something better than the actual product that inspired it. An idealized vision.

I'm sure Main Street, USA wasn't that colorful in Walt's hometown. Or perhaps it was...but maybe not as clean. Or maybe not as charming. But the basic idea is there to create something more magical than it is.

It's the extra bit of pixe dust needed... i think passion has a lot to do with it. The creators of DCA weren't passionate (or financially supportive) enough about CA to really do the state and the Disney name justice.

It's a nice park though. Much nicer than many other competitive parks in the area, but the Disney name used to be all about breaking new ground. Being better than the last and never stepping backwards.
    VERY Well Stated and Thoughtfully Said; KUDOS! "California" could be a Great INSPIRATION for an attraction, a Land, (or even an entire Theme Park - that argument remains to be won...), but there has to be an even sampling of Inspiration, Perspiration, Imagination, Imagineering (of Entertaining Attractions, Rides, and Shows - Disney Imagineering proved this with Soarin' Over California, and then the rest of the Park was sub-contracted, farmed out, or borrowed from other Parks) and (as CoheteBoy perfectly put it...) that added bit of Pixie Dust to make the entire Experience Magical... and Unique... and Disney-esque; something that Families could enjoy together. Just a couple of DCA attractions approach this aspect; the Park - as a whole - fails to live up to the standards that Disney created / excelled at...

• "YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE.."

Yea I think it just came down to money.

Ive read Al Lutz, and Jim Hill, and Al Hill, and Jim Lutz, and Page 6, and from reading them, I gather that the original California Adventure was going to be something far more impressive than what we got.

But now, in regards to each area, it feels like the imagineers only had enough money for either one great attraction, or a lavish theming. Hence why Pacific Wharf looks breathtaking, but it only has tours. And why Condor Flats has one the best rides in the country, but really just a few aged sheds near by for theming.

Personally I think I'm one of 4 people who were happy with the California theme. I always thought it had the potential to be like an applicable version of EPCOT. For example, EPCOT had "The Land", but at California, The Bountiful Valley Farm could have shown the Land in action. Of course, it didn't. But I think had the money been there, we would have had something very special.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    As far as lush theming goes DCA excells in the Grizzly River Run area. Everywhere else, not so much.
    Having lived in the sierra nevada foot hills...

I can tell you that if you go to an actual mining area along Hwy 49... The landscape and achitecture of the actual gold rush era towns is much more interesting than what is displayed at Grizzly River Run...

Heck Frontierland is more interesting than Grizzly River Run...
    Check out my other blog:

• Knight that says Nee!!

I agree that the California theme isn't the problem. I am a California native, born and raised, and I am not put off by a park about it, it's how it was executed that makes it dive. The rides need more of a connection to Disney for one thing, except the obvious ones like Monsters Inc. I agree that in the end, it was budget cuts and poor execution is what dragged this park down.

IMHO I think it is slowly improving over time. Perhaps Lassiter will get a green light and lots of $$$ to really turn it into something special.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeMan33 View Post
    I enjoy the park and they're bathrooms. DCA just can't add a ride called the great Missionary and have a hokey pokey ride about Missionary's in CA. Of course now they would just redue it to something like Pirates of the Missionary's so forget that idea. But they are havign fun with it like old time Hollywood. But theres limitations on how far you can elaberate on it. Of course you can't have it realistic with crack heads on the street and urine on the streets, which the real Hollywood has. All I know is DCA is going to have a little trouble just because its based on a state. Rememeber though, the original idea was to be Wescot, an east coast version of Epcot, and I'm sure that wouldn't have been a hit.

I think I understand what you're trying to say. Original ride ideas just don't come obviously for a park about CA. But that's mainly because of execution. I think if the park was laid out a little better, landscaped differently, it would all come very easy.

But DCA overall doesn't have the adaptability of "disney" the way Disneyland, MGM Studios, Animal Kingdom, or Disney Seas does.

For example, A Bug's Land could be a good concept for Animal Kingdom or MGM Studios. I guess it's the gray area that keeps it "californian" (though we all know it was just a quick fix to get something for the younger demographic).

Monsters Inc takes place in Monstropolis... no real reason that it's in Hollywood Backlot other than the fact that we needed a ride... and it's a movie.

Toy Story... doesn't take place in a seaside amusement park, but they're doing it anyway.

Brother Bear takes place in North America... north north. So it doesn't really belong in Grizzly Recreation area. It's just that they're bears.

So yes, CA isn't the BEST theme to play with, as it's like limiting all of EPCOT to one world showcase. It's a challenge of a theme but they could pull it off if they tried a lot harder to begin with.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Fighter Pilot

exatcly, its just feels really really odd to see Disney rides in a CA theme park. Like Soarin' works because its just that, Soarin' and not something like Buzzlight Year present Soarin'. Or Grizzely River, though Brother Bear does work. Like The Country Bears could easily make that they're new home easily. But yeah rides like Monsters Inc and Toy Story are just rides to bring crowds in. It just feels weird cause you're in CA not DL, in DL the first thing you see is this huge castle and it just fits. And A Bug's Land is a good concept, but feels odd that its right next to a wine vinyard mostly for adults. But the future is coming and I'm sure they'll work their magic and make it decent. I actually love DCA but it can't keep me there the whole day

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCTJoe View Post
    Ive read Al Lutz, and Jim Hill, and Al Hill, and Jim Lutz, and Page 6.
    Dang, there's Disney news out there by Jim Lutz and Al Hill, too? It's never ending.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12