Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Swiss Famiy Tree Comeback? (merged)

http://aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=20460

"Swiss Family Robinson" is heading back to the big screen with Jonathan Mostow at the helm. Mandeville Films CEO David Hoberman and president Todd Lieberman are producing for Walt Disney Pictures.

The deal also includes an arrangement for Mostow to rewrite a script by Greg Poirier. Mostow came to the project after six months of negotiations, which resulted in the company heading for a 2006 production slot in Australia.

"We are very excited about the project," said Hoberman, who called Mostow cold to pitch him the project only to run into a little serendipity with the director. Hoberman said Mostow called Disney's 1960 feature version his favorite childhood film. Ditto for Hoberman, who came on board to produce through Mandeville after the project had been laying fallow at Disney for some time.

"This is going to be a priority for us," Lieberman said. "This is a big tentpole movie, and it's rare that you get someone like Mostow who makes such cool movies combined with such a classic property."

The original book was written by Johann David Wyss and published by his son, Johann Rudolph Wyss, in 1812. Loosely based on "Robinson Crusoe," the story follows the Robinson family after it washes ashore on an uncharted tropical island following a shipwreck. On the island, the family builds a home in a giant tree and battles the forces of nature.

Disney's version of the film starred John Mills and Dorothy McGuire. The property also has spawned several television series, including one from the mid-1970s starring a young Helen Hunt. Another "Robinson" series was produced for Canadian television a year later.
    Not Disneyland news per se, but it's a not so flimsy excuse to kick Tarzan back out of the treehouse

• șoș Tom șoș

Swiss Famiy Tree Comeback?

Hey Folks-

I don't know how I missed this tasty tidbit of entertainment news but it appears we shall soon see a new movie version of the classic Swiss Family Robinson hitting the big screen!

http://www.micechat.com/showthread.p...560#post136560

If you are not excited for the movie, at least it gives us a glimmer of hope that WDI may restore the Swiss Family Treehouse!

I would love to see them branch out and put new fake trees that extend over the Indy que area and open the whole area a little bit!

• At the Gym or at DL

Not going to happen my friend.

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by GymMouse
    Not going to happen my friend.
    This is less of a fantasy than Rocket Rods- based on a synergistic marketing plan it may benifit the park and company to relaunch the Swiss Family Tree. Its not a pipe dream, just not realistic at this time or date...

• Minion

It might actually happen. It would be really great if it did. I hate the treehouse now. YUCK!

I like Tarzan's treehouse. I just don't like the characters on it. But overall I like the look of the treehouse a lot.

• Best Buds

Maybe we could have a Space Family Robison Treehouse a la "Lost in Space."
    ------------------
    DLR '84, 85, 96, 02, 05, 06x2, 07x2, 08x2, 09, 10, 11; WDW '92, 98, 00, 06, 08, 10; DLP '02; TDR '07

Hey, check out my podcast!
    http://www.comedy4cast.com

• CM for 4 years!

Ohh poo on the Swiss Family. I love Tarzan's Tree house
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• At the Gym or at DL

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    This is less of a fantasy than Rocket Rods- based on a synergistic marketing plan it may benifit the park and company to relaunch the Swiss Family Tree. Its not a pipe dream, just not realistic at this time or date...
    I guess part of the fun of these forums is to speculate on these kind of things but let's get real.

You can see what DL management (Matt) is doing here. First, maintenance, painting, etc had to be brought up to snuff. He did that. Next, fix up the disaster that Tomorrowland had become. He's working on that. After that, attention and resources will be shifted to DCA in an attempt to make that place stand on it's own two feet. That's going to take some time and money.

I stand by my previous statement, this movie will come and go with no change to the treehouse. It is unlikely there will be any changes to the west side of DL for quite some time.
    Last edited by GymMouse; 06-15-2005 at 03:58 PM.

• CM for 4 years!

It is unlikely there will be any changes to the east side of DL for quite some time.
    Don't you mean the WESTSIDE!?!?! Come on, check out the map. Adventureland/NOS/Critter Country is the WESTSIDE!!
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• At the Gym or at DL

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    Don't you mean the WESTSIDE!?!?! Come on, check out the map. Adventureland/NOS/Critter Country is the WESTSIDE!!
    Yes, my bad, I meant westside, slow your roll shooter.

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    I'm not a fan of either version of the Treehouse, really, but I'd probably rather have Swiss Family Treehouse.

• CM for 4 years!

Yes, my bad, I meant westside, slow your roll shooter.
    Sorry, I gots ta respresent!!
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• șoș Tom șoș

Thats fine Gym Mouse- I stand by mine---the minor changes and updates being made to HM and POTC are a reflection of progressive thinking and I believe the smarter thing to do is to invest into an overhaul...Tarzan was a good movie no doubt but the tree house isn't nearly as intersting as it once was...if the movie is loaded with an A list cast that brings in money I could see them overhauling it eventually.

• Minion

ORDDU: I happen to really LIKE Tarzan's Treehouse at Disneyland, myself. But, then, I also happen to be the number one fan of my favorite man in a loin cloth.

ORWEN: Besides, Florida still has the Swiss Family Tree House. So, for those who prefer that one, all they have to do is go to Disney World.

ORDDU: Besides, why would the Swiss Family need TWO treehouses, while leaving my poor Tarzan out of his tree? That's just being GREEDY on the part of the Swiss Family, if you ask me. I say, give both them and HIM equal living space. One in Florida and the other in California.

ORWEN: That's what works for Princess Aurora and Cinderella, anyway...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast