Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Most Surreal Disneyland Resort Moment

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    Did you say "Chandla Bing - ahahaahaahah " like Janice? That would have been so funny. Or call him "Hi Bing-a-ling" - like Janice. I bet he get's that often.
    Nope!!! hahaha! I wanted to grab him and hug him, but, I just stood there looking in his face, and he was looking like "Get me out of here!" I was surprised people weren't mobbing the poor guy.

• Disney Night Owl

This may sound strange but whenever I come to the dead end in Frontierland where you can't just keep walking to get to other places. It reminds me that Disneyland is just this self-contained park and not a real place. Whenever I come to a dead end that won't allow me to continue walking into another area/land, it just throws me off track for a second but then I just turn around and try to dismiss it. I love the feeling of ditching reality while in Disneyland but finding the dead ends always brings me back for a minute.
    http://www.facebook.com/silverpsycho
    Always looking for new Disney friends.

• Disgruntled Former CM

Cool Re: Most Surreal Disneyland Resort Moment

I took my best friend Marcia to Disneyland when she was out here visiting from upstate New York; 50-ish, dresses impeccably, hair & make-up 'done', looks like an Executive or CEO of a major corporation. She had never been to the Park before, and wanted to go on all of the Classic Attractions, with two Rules: No Drops (she does not like roller coasters), and No Getting Wet. This ruled out Splash, Big Thunder, Space, and Matterhorn Mountains - but I really wanted her to experience Pirates of the Caribbean, thinking that the "drops" would not be that bad - at least not 'coaster-like'... and who ever gets WET on Pirates?

As we're getting in to the boat; "I better not get wet on this!" 'Don't worry Marcia; it's just like 'It's a Small World' - and you loved that... '
    As we're heading to the top of the first drop (in the dark); "OK, I really don't like this - are we going to fall?!" 'It's OK Marcia - just hang on...' "ARRGH!!! - I'm gonna KILL you!" As we head to the top of the second drop, she can now SEE what's coming; "What part of No Drops didn't you understand?!" "AAARGH!!!" and a HUGE wave pitches over the front of the boat, and SOAKS all three of us in the front seat from our knees down... in fact, there was So Much Water that a good half inch of water sloshed back and forth on the floor of the boat for the rest of the ride.

We got off the ride, and Marcia didn't say a word - she just pointed to her $400 Fluevogg shoes that were now ruined...

Surreal? When was the last time that you were soaked on POTC?

One of my first remembrances of a surreal moment was getting stuck on Peter Pan's Flight. Seeing everything with the lights on was at once fascinating and disenchanting. But the funniest part was when the maintenance guys came lumbering through in their overalls like Godzilla and his minions stopming through London.

Another surreal "trip" was my first time riding round-trip in the monorail tailcone -- gliding through the Land but being separated from it in my private "bubble". (It since became a favorite "poor man's Disneyland" ritual)

At a table in front of the French Quarter Market

I've posted this before:

You know that hidden walkway that starts behind the french fry shack across from HM, and ends at the top of the Splash Mountain hill by the snack cart? You can see the far end of TSI there. Well, I was there last night and I went to stand at the SM end of the walkway, where I could see the water. As the Mark Twain rounded the end of the island and slid slowly past on the other side (I could see it through the trees), I heard music. There was a guy at the last table behind the fry shack, in the dark, leaning back with his feet on the table, and -- I kid you not -- playing "Oh, Shenandoah!" on a harmonica. I felt like I really was on a lonely bank of the Mississippi, watching a paddle boat go by.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

We got off the ride, and Marcia didn't say a word - she just pointed to her $400 Fluevogg shoes that were now ruined...

Surreal? When was the last time that you were soaked on POTC?
    Who's dumb enough to wear $400 shoes at Disneyland?

...oh, wait.

Surreal moments: as a character, there were many times I was in the park for parade practice, and other cast activities; but I remember once...
    walking out of the "Carrousel Of Progress" building to a closed park, and
    the sun had set. Standing in twilight, looking down Tomorrowland with
    NO PEOPLE! No sound, no movement, no music...not even maintenence people. Strange! I felt like Don Knotts in the Ghost & Mr. Chicken...whaaa
    weeeeeeee whaa...
    "They's two B's in basketball!"

• Disgruntled Former CM

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Who's dumb enough to wear $400 shoes at Disneyland?

...oh, wait.
    Believe it or not, there was a time when people actually dressed to go to the Park; for dinner, for the Entertainment, dancing, etc.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

^^ Oh I know. They put on their Sunday best back in the day.

Seeing a gold carpet down main street and bright studio lights on top of the buildings and celebrities everywhere (including the goo goo dolls performing on Tom Sawyer Island) at the 50th anniversary kick-off celebration.
    "To all who come to this happy place, welcome!"

Visit The Disneyland Report - Disney News and Secrets and Mickeypedia!

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

1. The lines on July 17, 2005 to get into the park.
    2. Riding Splash Mountain while facing backward.
    3. Watching America Sings with some of the animatronic heads off during the final show.
    Fight On! Beat the Bears!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

• The Tomorrowland One

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    2. Riding Splash Mountain while facing backward.
    I wanna know more about that one. Sounds like fun.

And mine... I think the one time I was on the Sun Wheel and Screamin' went into E-Stop right after a train had launched. That train slammed into the brakes on the first hill and was SO FREAKING LOUD! Its like that whole end of DCA stopped for a few seconds while it all processed in everyones heads. Then things slowly went back to working. That was a weird moment.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

4th of July 2 years ago, oh wait I have 2 good 4th of July stories from that year...

1.) Dinner time Cafe Orleans. In line, waiting, putzing around, to get in, and I see this guy that looks EXACTLY like my dad. Tall, brown hair, baseball hat, sunglass extra part over his glasses, and shorts. And I was trying to figure out if it was my dad, realized it was Gary Sinses (sp?), right before the whole CSI New York thing (so it may have been 3 years ago?). Had a vest with him and everything. My friend and I were trying not to be stare, but in the back of my brain I kept thinking "my dad is right there. He's watching me curse and talk and such..." weird.

2.) That night the parking structure was jammed after fireworks. Parking lot for like 2 hours. My friend got out of the car and went to the bathroom while we were waiting, as I am going inch by centimeter, I hear this guy yell out (cute guy by the way!), "I just want to make out with someone!" I was about 2 seconds from volunteering. Making out with a random cute boy in the Disneyland parking structure on 4th of July, that would be my Disneyland Dream!

I try to keep reality suspended whenever I'm in the parks, but this one moment was above and beyond surreal.

Passing through the walkways between Tommorowland and Fantasyland, I noticed Alice and the Mad Hatter doing a greet. I told my friend that I wanted to get a picture with Alice, so we stopped and waited behind a line of kids. Now, I happened to be wearing a t-shirt that said "I make stuff up", and as I approached Alice for my photo, she said in her petite, little girl British accent "You make stuff up? Oh, do tell me a story!"

My mind quickly shifted into high gear, and I found myself reciting an old bit from Sandra Bernhard about how I hadn't been feeling well, and needed to go see my Chinese herbalist, Dr. Zhou. I proceeded to tell Alice how he had checked my pressure points, depressed my tongue, and finally declared "You too hot! You got too much heat in body! Your feet are hot and DRY!!"

Alice looked me in the eye, and said with perfect sincerity "Oh, dear! I DO hope you get that taken care of."

Are you telling me that you built a theme park.. out of a vinery and a bear shaped mountain?!!?..
    - WestsideCM99

• Return to Oz

Hello everyone!
    I love this site but it wasn’t until I saw this post that motivated me to join Micechat.
    I have a short but totally surreal story.
    About two years ago me and my husband (fiancé at the time) decided to go on a date at Disneyland. We were walking around Main St when a 10 year old boy stared to pee on the bunches by the flag pole. HE WAS PEEING IN THE MIDDLE OF MAIN ST. I could not believe what I was seeing and no parents in sight. It was fairly busy day at Disneyland so the kid had an audience.
    HE WAS PEEING IN THE MIDDLE OF MAIN ST!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast