Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• is too darn hot.

Most Surreal Disneyland Resort Moment

What's everyone's most surreal moment at the DLR? Not strangest or funniest, just the moment when reality seemed to take a left turn and you felt like you had wandered into the twilight zone?

I think mine was recently when riding the Railroad. I had either forgotten or didn't realize Splash Mountain was down for repairs so I was looking forward to seeing the final scene of the ride from the train. The announcer said "If you look closely, you may just find your laughing place." I looked, and all that was there was a rollup garage door. It threw me for a bit of a loop. I was thinking, "I guess my laughing place is closed?"

Anyway, that's mine, what's yours?

• =)

Re: Most Surreal Disneyland Resort Moment

Well, I don't have any that are quite in that vein, but I can say that a lot of Disneyland experiences seem surreal in retrospect. Anything involving Space Mountain certainly does; through a series of unfortunate events, I haven't had a ride on SM in a decade. My memories are sketchy, romanticized, and very...surreal. My memories of the Rocket Rods are similarly bizarre.

The area surrounding that dark, hilly drop in Splash Mountain always strikes me as singularly unreal. I have a hard time seeing it coming, and the dimly lit area around it doesn't seem real. I'm not sure why. Most of Indy is the same way.

Subconsciously, I don't think of my ride experiences as "real." Some vestige of early childhood is embedded in me, giving me a deep-rooted belief that I really am traveling into a subterranean Indian temple, or a cartoonish microcosm of the South, or the depths of interstellar space. When I exit a ride, I'm left with an impression that I've traveled an enormous distance through fantastic realm, even chances are good that I'm familiar with the shape of its track and the external appearance of its ride building(s). Maybe that's why I like modeling the buildings and tracks so much...it helps me reconcile the reality with the surreality.

Or maybe I'm just full of it.

It was either 1987 or 1988. George Bush Sr. was running for presidency and came to Disneyland to make a speech.

There were sharpshooters on top of the Main st. shops, Town sq. bldgs, and the Matterhorn. The backstage area behind Mr. Lincoln was the cleanest I had ever seen and was full of secret service vehicles, cop cars, and such. They had secret service guys at Harbor House (one location where a CM coming to work clocks in). It seemed like everywhere you looked there were people with a rifle.

• Senior Minion

Being there at 6:30 am this Sunday ...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Pirates event in 2000. Merchandise Line lasted until
    well after park closing, nearly 4am. Surreal hit when
    the music on Main Street was turned off completely.

Main Street suddenly felt like a ghost town.

One night at DLR, my wife and I had to get across the park from tomorrow land to NOS for something. (I forget exactly why but it was important) The fireworks show was happening and 999 people out of 1000 were standing, motionless, staring at the fireworks. It was like out of the Twilight Zone or something. We were walking swiftly because, if I recall, we were late. Everywhere was darkened and illuminated by the fireworks.

I recall noticing the effect and thinking how strange it seemed to me! Surreal is the perfect word to describe the experience.

• Man O Lantern

Walking down Main Street in an August heat wave (1997) and the entire place was decorated overnight for Christmas for a Mervyn's commercial, starring Joe Montana.

But at 6:30 a.m., they weren't set up for the shoot yet, so it was just randomly Christmas time at Disneyland and no signs of explanation for it.

Hands down 100% my most surreal DLR moment...

waiting to enter the preshow area for ToT, making conversation with another single rider, who says, "I love this ride...as a matter of fact, so does my dog!"

Opens big purse and yup, you guessed it, a little dog was in that purse!

Talk about Twilight Zone moment...how appropos!

I was shaking I was so freaked out, and I waited until everyone exited the preshow and frantically told a CM, "Please stop that woman (pointing frantically) she has a dog in her purse and she's going to take it on the ride!"

The girl looked at me like I was @#$%@#& crazy. I assured her I was not kidding, and as she went to the right queue, I went to the left. I mentioned it again to another CM, just to make sure, and thankfully, they stopped her.

Um, animal cruelty anyone? Such a bizarre moment.
    "When entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." -Sam Eagle

"I may have invented these bifocals I'm wearing, but I can assure you they're not rose-colored" -Ben Franklin, The American Adventure

• Beep Beep!

The one and only time I went to DL by myself. It was sort of like, okay self what shall we ride next?
    HDAlien

-----------------------------------------------------
    "I dream of the day when you can go to a drive through, purchase alcohol, tobacco, and bullets, and use them all before you get home" -- Dogbert

• Substitutiary Locomotion

Dancing with Minnie and Mickey in their Christmas outfits while the 80s cover band played was rather surreal - in a good way. This is probably fairly commonplace, but I don't get to visit very often. (And usually the spousal unit steers me away from those sorts of happenings.) Mickey's got quite the repertoire of dance moves.
    Touched by His Noodly Appendage!

• Cherry Tart

I saw Mary Poppins and her Penguin at the Plaza Pavilion right before they started musical chairs. I originally just stopped by to grab a photo, then all of a sudden I heard music coming from the piano and the penguin was tapping my shoulder and holding out his hand, requesting a dance.

To my surprise I was swept off my feet by a penguin, and we waltzed together around the piano. It was quite an amusing moment.

• Lipstick is Power

Having Dale and Meeko flirt and then fight (only a little) over me....it was at StoryTellers and as I went back to my table I thought to myself.....did a giant chipmunk and a giant raccoon just squable over me.....yep.

• Banned User

Mine was in November. I was going toward the exit to POTC (I have a medical pass) and suddenly, I was face to face with Matthew Perry (Chandler from Friends). We were THIS close, face to face, stuck in a crowd of people. I could not believe my eyes! haha!

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

It was just a few days after Christmas 2000. I was supposed to meet a girl there from work - we had it all planned out and she had my cell number...and she never showed. I called her a few times and left a message....and she never showed. So, I walked around the park by myself that day......and ended up meeting up with some friends of mine having dinner outside at Plaza Inn.

The disappointment of the day almost became surreal because I had so much fun with my friends that night. They helped me forget what happened.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
    Mine was in November. I was going toward the exit to POTC (I have a medical pass) and suddenly, I was face to face with Matthew Perry (Chandler from Friends). We were THIS close, face to face, stuck in a crowd of people. I could not believe my eyes! haha!
    Did you say "Chandla Bing - ahahaahaahah " like Janice? That would have been so funny. Or call him "Hi Bing-a-ling" - like Janice. I bet he get's that often.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast