Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

What Is KNBC Supposedly Exposing Tonight?

For the last few days, KNBC has been advertising a report that the station will air tonight at 11 p.m.

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/13081370/detail.html
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 04-27-2007 at 09:15 PM.

• Head Salesman

Re: What Is KNBC Supposedly Exposing Tonight?

Hmmm. Maybe it has something to do with airspace or pollution? I'll have to watch it.
    Ask about my popular 2-for-1 sale!

Visit my site, the Disney Experience, for awesome Disney downloads. All are welcome!

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

It's obviously nothing of importance otherwise they wouldn't need to keep it a secret to make people watch.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

I am fairly certain that the report is referring to air-space restrictions and to keeping aircraft from undermining the believability of Disneyland's fiction. If that assumption is correct, then KNBC, and parent N.B.C. Universal, are out of line because the F.A.A. has always instituted these constraints on pilots out of a concern for the safety of certain heads of state and of the general public.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 04-26-2007 at 04:09 AM.

• Santa Barbara, CA

Since the park endorsed it's own helicopter service in the 60's that you could see from Frontierland, Walt wouldn't be that upset.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

The article and the promos. give the appearance that Universal Studios Hollywood is using the KNBC news organization to further a particular agenda.

I hope KNBC makes it a point to let the audience know that the station's parent company owns Universal Studios Hollywood, which competes with Disneyland.

• a kiss for a thimball

Escondido CA (1hr 15min from door to parked!)

i was going to say what about all of the pollution that the firworks create... but i think that is correct... about the airspace... but you cant fly above stadiums either... so i dont know what the big deal is...
    -Miss Wendy Lynn

The second star to the right
    Shines in the night for you
    To tell you that the dreams you plan
    Really can come true

• Huh?

Actually, I think it's referring to the dangers of pixie dust that falls from Tinker Bell every night....

Either that, or they just want airports to be considered as no fly zones.
    -Tim

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

I thought in a previous discussion on Micechat back before XMas, that one of the more authoritative of our members proved that the no-fly-zone over Disneyland was a rumour. He produced official FAA (FAC? TAA... FBI? ... Federal Air Authority? why doesn't this sound correct?) documents that showed no such air restrictions exist.

?
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• Knight that says Nee!!

I see aircraft flying over the park all the time when I visit so I if there is some kind of restriction, it sure gets ignored alot.

Quote Originally Posted by monotonehell View Post
    I thought in a previous discussion on Micechat back before XMas, that one of the more authoritative of our members proved that the no-fly-zone over Disneyland was a rumour. He produced official FAA (FAC? TAA... FBI? ... Federal Air Authority? why doesn't this sound correct?) documents that showed no such air restrictions exist.

?
    You're referring to this thread:

Does Disneyland Still Have Restricted Air Space?

Actually, the discussion established just the opposite since the NOTAM, itself, was produced.

NOTAM Number :
    FDC 3/2123

Issue Date :
    June 03, 2003 at 1429 UTC

Location : Disneyland Theme Park, Anaheim, California near SEAL BEACH VORTAC (SLI)

Beginning Date and Time : March 18, 2003 at 2000 UTC

Ending Date and Time : Until further notice

Reason for NOTAM : Temporary flight restrictions for Special Security Reasons

Type : Security

Replaced NOTAM(s) : N/A

Pilots May Contact :
    Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) System Operations Support Center, 202-267-3333

Airspace Definition:

Center:
    6.8 nautical miles from SEAL BEACH VORTAC(SLI) on the 066 radial (Latitude: 3348'04"N, Longitude: 11755'14"W)

Radius:
    3 nautical miles

Altitude:
    From the surface up to and including 3000 feet AGL

Effective Date(s):

From March 18, 2003 at 2000 UTC (March 18, 2003 at 1200 PST)

Until further notice

Operating Restrictions and Requirements

No pilots may operate an aircraft in the areas covered by this NOTAM (except as described).

This restriction does not apply to:

(A) Those aircraft authorized by ATC for operational or safety purposes, including aircraft arriving or departing from an airport using standard air traffic procedures;

(B) Department of Defense, law enforcement, or aeromedical flight operations that are in contact with ATC. Those who meet any of the following criteria may apply for a waiver to these restrictions:

(a) for operational purposes of the venue including the transportation of equipment or officials of the governing body;

(b) for safety and security purposes of the venue. Information regarding waiver applications can be obtained from the FAA website at http://www.faa.gov/ats/ata/waiver, or by calling 571-227-1322.

• Knight that says Nee!!

That's a funny NOTAM...Don't fly over the park unless you are taking off or landing from the airport using "standard AT proceedures." That kinda opens the bag.

It also says its temporary and started only about 4 years ago. Is it still in affect? Like I said, restrictions or not, I see aircraft (fixed wing and rotary) flying over the park all the time. They all aren't DoD/police/medical flights or flights belonging to "the venue." so I'd say the temporary restrictions are recinded or they get ignored all the time.

Perhaps DLR needs its own private squadron of F-18s to fly intercept missions.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

The flight restrictions are still in effect. Even if they are not, ATC will ask a pilot why they are flying outside of the flight restrictions and will request the pilot to get out as quickly as possible. To this day if a pilot flies outside of the flight restriction they either need to notify ATC, or ATC will tell them ahead of time to enter the restricted area based on current traffic conditions.

Because there are many airports in the area, pilots will be given specific permission to enter the restricted airspace occasionally. Especially those pilots who are landing in and out of Fullerton airport are allowed to use Disney's airspace, from what I understand.

If this is what the report is about then NBC is opening up a huge can of worms. This flight restriction is not just an arrangement between Disney and the local ATC but it is tied into security regulations with the FAA itself.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    This flight restriction is not just an arrangement between Disney and the local ATC but it is tied into security regulations with the FAA itself.
    OK, taking that as true then (if the NBC blurb is to be believed) DLR is the only commercial area to get that arrangment, something I see no problem with getting reported. Perhaps other large commercial properties need the same security protections now-a-days.

If DLR isn't the only one receiving this arrangment then the newscast will be laughable and they will be called out for shoddy journalism.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    I am fairly certain that the report is referring to air-space restrictions and to keeping aircraft from undermining the believability of Disneyland's fiction.
    The restrictions on the airspace have nothing to do with show.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast