• Minion

Dreams Do Come True

Me, my wife, her sister and husband and their two kids, and my parents all went to Disneyland last Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. It has been almost a year and a half since my wife and I have been (we used to go 3-4 times a year) but we are once again Annual Passholders and it will all change!

I have kept up on the Year of a Million Dreams Promotion and must say that I have been the least enthused about it. That was, until this last trip.

Our first dream (for our 6 yr. old Nephew) came about on Thursday at Disney's California Adventure. We were headed to see Lightning McQueen and Mater when my nephew leaned over to me and said he wanted to ride the Sun Wheel. I told him we could check the wait time board (which I found out is gone now) and see if it was a short wait. I didn't see the board so I walked up to a Cast Member standing in the vicinity (didn't notice her blue "Year of a Million Dreams" costume) and asked if she possibly knew the wait time of the Sun Wheel. She said unfortunately no, but then asked which "bucket" we wanted to sit in. My nephew wanted the swinging bucket and she immediately said, "Follow me." She proceeded to walk us to the Sun Wheel where we went through exit and immediately got on the ride. My nephew was so thrilled it made his day. I can honestly say that this promotion, although promoted horribly by Disney, was the best part of out trip.

The second dream for my little nephew happened about 2 hours after this. We had tried two times to get him to be picked for the Jedi Training at Disneyland...unfortunately...he was overlooked. He REALLY wanted to be a Jedi! My wife was talking with a Dream Cast Member and made mention that we were heading back to Disneyland to see if he could be picked...third time's the charm, right? The Cast Member then said the next show is in 25 minutes, "Let's Go!" He walked us from DCA over to Disneyland, made a sign for our nephew, and said the "Force" knows the Blue Costume...our Nephew was picked and had the time of his life.

Now mind you, I was so leary of this Million Dreams promotion that I actually wanted nothing to do with it. From these two Dreams being met, I have come 180. It was amazing and touching to see these cast members go out of their way to make my nephew happy. In turn, this made a Disneyland Memory I will never forget. I wanted to share these two moments with you because it is possibly to still make memories at the Happiest Place on Earth...even with a badly promoted Event!

I hope everyone else can experience moments like these when they visit!

• Disney for life!~

Re: Dreams Do Come True

Lucky!

I <3 SPACEMOUNTAIN!!!!!!!!!

http://www.myspace.com/CayaHutch

• Defying gravity

That's nice. I'm glad jumping the Sun Wheel line made your day....

• Videogame nerd

That's so great to hear great stories about how something nice so matter how small, can brighten up your day.
    "Do, or do not. There is no try."

• Still lost in Neverland

Not everyone realizes just how much work goes into these gift things and all the cast members are amazing. I know some members of the team, and they really do put a lot of effort forward and make dreams come true for a lot of guests. I just wish Disney had marketed the whole thing better. It's really not explained in the ads, and it gets lost in the guidebooks. Lets face it, regular guests coming to Disneyland do not read anything in the guidebook except where a ride or show is or what time a show or parade stops. Everything else looks like nothing but ads for Kodak and other stuff and the YOMD just gets lost. I think the ideas are great, I just wish that more people would not be so down on this. I am glad that your nephew got to ride the bucket he wanted and also, and probably more thrilling for him, was to be made a Jedi Knight in Training. Sounds like a great trip.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Banned User

Unfortunately they don't give away prizes to or do anything for awkward loner nerds

And they say it's random...

• Minion

Actually, those really aren't YOAMD prizes.

They're more akin to to 'Magic Moments' where Cast Members - especially those who aren't formally assigned to a task or position, are given the task to go out and do a good deed for a random (or one in need) guest.

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    Unfortunately they don't give away prizes to or do anything for awkward loner nerds

And they say it's random...
    I was an awkward loner nerd all week (well...4 days) and I won a lanyard. They showed about as much enthusiasm as a dead fish when they gave me the lanyard...but I did get one.

Anyway, I think it's great your family had a great visit disneyland 255!

• Bleh...

On my last trip, my party and I each received the YOAMD blue/cloudy ears-hats as we were walking into DTD from the GCH.

I was like..."AM I DREAMING?? SOMEBODY PINCH ME!" LOL
    No one cares that you know the Ghost Host spiel.
    Please stop.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by wizardcombat View Post
    I was like..."AM I DREAMING?? SOMEBODY PINCH ME!" LOL
    They discontinued that dream. Too many complaints.

• Bleh...

Year Of A Million Pinches Lol!
    No one cares that you know the Ghost Host spiel.
    Please stop.

Quote Originally Posted by wizardcombat View Post
    Year Of A Million Pinches Lol!
    Ouchies