• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

The Official Loomis wants advice (please) thread

It's still a year off, but it seemed like an appropriate time to ask a question or two about the planned 2008 trip. I've been holding off as long as I can, but dammit - I'm excited. Also, April 2007 may serve as a helpful gauge for April/May 2008.

As that rambling intro may have suggested, I am planning a trip next year. Not just any trip mind you, but a bi-coastal trip intended to leave the US in a complex state of Loomisisity. Disneyland is up first, with a CGA stay. I'm looking at budgeting for 4 days, which is more than enough. The question here is:

1) What is late-April like crowd wise at the moment? Will I be attacked from all sides, or disappear like a hairy mist into the ether?
    2) How far ahead should I book accommodation for Grand Cali?

Just curious and I thank you all for your help in advance. Loomis is a fragile little planner sometimes...
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Man O Lantern

Re: The Official Loomis wants advice (please) thread

Awww, your enthusiasm is contagious!!

I think late-April is a great time to visit Disneyland. You miss the Easter/Spring Break crowds, yet also miss the summer crowds. The weather is usually good and there aren't too many attractions that are closed.

GCH you can probably book 4-5 months out for this time of year. You might want to book earlier than that, just to be sure, then change your booking if you find better deals as your dates approach.

• Dont make me unfriend you

I was just there. Monday, April 23 and Wednesday April 25. There were no crowds. We had a 10 minute wait for Soarin over California. Less then 15 for Big Thunder. No wait for StarTours. There was a 25 minute wait for Space Mountain, but the Fastpass times were only an half an hour later return time.

Late April is a great time to visit crowd wise.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

One time Darkdeer toll me that Most of the Disneyland area hotel are book to 80% full.
    If was me I will book as soon as I can. you are Spring break time.

Think you can pay in Install pland.
    Last edited by akfandisney; 04-30-2007 at 07:31 AM.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day o 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9

Thanks, folks. Just getting an idea of comparative crowd times to determine whether it would be worth pushing the holiday forward/back a week. Seems to be spot on, so all I have to do here is sit and count the days. Only 364 to go but who is counting?

The other thing is applying for leave at work, which is better done sooner rather than later, so it is a good idea to know when...These international voyages are epic!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Former Cast Member

Be at the parks Monday-thursday for the lowest crowds! Fly-in on Sunday. We did most of DCA this past monday in about 1/2 a day because the lines were so short. However, Aladdin wasn't playing that day. When you get closer to your trip time, check out the park hours and show schedule to make sure you will be able to see the shows you want to.

• Rock Star Minion

1. Easter is in late March, so the "Spring Break" period will be more centered around that date than it was this year on April 4.
    2. Weekday is best. Weekends are always bad, especially nice weekends (as this past weekend was).
    3. The resort will likely be running a "two-fer" promotion that allows locals one day in DL and one day in DCA during that time. It tends to increase weekend crowds more han the weekday crowds.
    4. I suggest arriving early Sunday morning, arriving in time for DL opening on Sunday, trying to survive until the Noon MiceChat gathering, then staggering to bed until the next morning.
    5. I usually book the hotel first, then the flight. The hotel can always be changed (this far in advance), but the flights are very sticky. I usually check the flight availability, then book the hotel, then book the flight.
    You should be able to reserve rooms for GCH now.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis View Post
    1) What is late-April like crowd wise at the moment? Will I be attacked from all sides, or disappear like a hairy mist into the ether?
    2) How far ahead should I book accommodation for Grand Cali?
    Not to put a damper in this (and it may not... I am just letting everyone know), there's a pretty big California-Nevada Cooperative Preschool convention heading into Orange County... we're thinking April 19th-ish. Like I am on the committee for it (I teach/direct co-op!) and we're thinking Bev Bos is our keynote and because we're O.C.... anyhoo... FYI that weekend maybe bad.

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post
    Not to put a damper in this (and it may not... I am just letting everyone know), there's a pretty big California-Nevada Cooperative Preschool convention heading into Orange County... we're thinking April 19th-ish. Like I am on the committee for it (I teach/direct co-op!) and we're thinking Bev Bos is our keynote and because we're O.C.... anyhoo... FYI that weekend maybe bad.
    As long as it is over by say...ooh...28th April, I think I'll be right. You have all been quite helpful. The problem with arriving "early morning" is that it is a 14 hour flight (approx), so who the hell knows what unearthly time I'd be leaving Sydney to get there at that time. I think it'll be 4 nights starting on a Monday, giving me Tuesday through Thursday in the park. Seems reasonable and in keeping with the consensus here.

I'm actually more concerned with the mid-May in Florida, but my hands are reasonably tied when it comes to that. I think you guys have a public holiday late May '08 (26th? Memorial Day?), so I'd be wanting to ideally clear the major tourist spots by then (I should be touching down in Sydney at that stage).

Anyway, I've jumped the gun by a good few months, but it seemed like an appropriate time. It's also a big trip with lots - including my nuptials! - to plan, so a year out seems reasonable actually...Thanks again all!
    Last edited by Loomis; 04-30-2007 at 06:35 PM.