Residence--Magic Kingdom???

What if Disney ventured into the real-estate field and developed a residentual community overlooking the parks? How awesome would that be?? My girlfriend and I would be the first in line with depost in hand!! Would you??? How cool would it be to come home from work and walk over to the park for a quick ride on your favorite E-Ticket ride! Just a crazy thought?

• Drunk On Disney!

Re: Residence--Magic Kingdom???

That would be awesome!
    It would really be nice for CMs
    The only problem would be if you could see the buildings from the park.

• Defying gravity

Sign me up!!!!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Doesn't Disney run a community in Florida already? Called Celebration or something like that...

And no, I live 20 minutes away. That is close enough for me. My friend lives literally across the street from the park (on Cerritos) and the fireworks get really old real quick. But if someone wants to do that then all the power to them!

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume
    Doesn't Disney run a community in Florida already? Called Celebration or something like that...
    "Run" is really the right term anymore, perhaps it never was. It was always a very 'hands off' project as far as Disney was concerned, and it had a myriad of problems to boot. However, it is true that Disney developed and still has some office buildings there to date.

The main problems was that it never lived up to its potential because of internal politics and expectations of a "Disney property". Andrew Ross offers a great alternative view of this planned community in The celebration chronicles : life, liberty and the pursuit of property values in Disney’s New Town.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtsplash View Post
    The only problem would be if you could see the buildings from the park.
    Well, being that this scenario has Disney behind the wheels, you'd hope they could construct something that looked half-decent.

However, I'd imagine Disney would be reluctant to put its name on a community like this again, but the Imagineering possibilities are exciting.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.” - Bill Hicks

• Disabled Guest Pro

There would be issues with this even though it sounds cool. One, it would be very expensive to live there. Disney CMs would not be able to afford it and neither would hardly anyone who is not at least at the top of the Upper Middle class. Just because it is Disney they will not make them "affordable," the company is all about making money now and they could get a pretty penny if the put up fancy high-rise towers with views of the park and they would charge it. Remember Disney is fighting low-income housing that the city wants to build nearby because the don't want all the problems that come with ow-incom housing. Why do you think the whole timeshare thing has come up, for huge profit! Also as was stated here Disney tried its hand at a master planned community and to say the least it didn't work. I love the idea but I think it wouldn't work and I think that the money could be used to improve the parks first before any talk of this comes up.

• Merry 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis View Post
    The main problems was that it never lived up to its potential because of internal politics and expectations of a "Disney property". Andrew Ross offers a great alternative view of this planned community in The celebration chronicles : life, liberty and the pursuit of property values in Disney’s New Town.
    Politics ruins everything. Will have to read that book, sounds very interesting.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!