Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Golden Dreamer!

Re: The Sad State of the ROA Animatronics

Oh that works.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

**OFF-TOPIC** Is this the beginning of anti-bear sentiment? First the CBJ being replaced by some little English Nancy-looking Bear, and now the ROA Grizzly gone? Where have all the real bears gone? Or are they all at Rufus' pad--out of sight?

• Golden Dreamer!

I do hope bears come back!

But when was the large grizly removed?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I get the distinct feeling you do not understand the difference between "the 1800s" and "the 18th century."

The 18th century refers to the years 1701 through 1800. Clearly too early even to represent "river pirates."

The 17th century refers to the 1600s--the years of the most pirate activity.
    Steve, you're so cute when you're being condescending (which is good news for you, it means you're nearly always cute!).

The golden age of piracy was from 1660's to about 1730 (so yes, a good chunk of it was in the 17th century and the tail end of it in the 18th century), and what I said was some of the most famous fell into the 18th century. And I even said, (notice I'm spelling this out for you really clearly so you understand what I'm saying?) they were different animals.

I know the river pirates in question are from the 1800's or, as you so thoughtfully explained, the 19th century. See? I DO understand those key date differences!! Again, thanks for being so dependable.

• Minion

Sorry... didn't mean to get all Pirate Defensive again... just can't help it sometimes.

• Closed Account

I challenge you to flintlocks at 50 paces...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I challenge you to flintlocks at 50 paces...
    That made me grin. Thanks Steve. I take it back, you're not ALWAYS condescending...I was just being snarky cause I didn't have my grog yet this morning. Plus...I was reading the visit to island thread and it was filled with hopeful stuff and I came here, well... you get the picture.

Big bold pirate-like manly hug to you.

• The one, the only...

I am disappointed that many of the animals are not being returned and renovated. Seeing animals in the wild is always an excitement in real life. The placement of animals around the river mimics that excitement. Even in their poor condition, people always seem to point them out. I know that outdoor animatronics do require more maintenance, but outdoor animatronic have been a signature of Disneyland from the beginning. The Jungle Cruise featuring all outdoor animatronics have been a fav from opening day. I think this is totally a budget and not a show issue. It could be another declining by degrees matter.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    What is referred to as piracy's "Golden Age" stretches (even by the most liberal of scholars) maybe to 1730. Steve is correct that piracy in it's famous "Age of Sail" incarnation was really a 17th century affair. Piracy still exists today, of course, in many different forms (now mostly technology-based), but I doubt they wear eyepatches and brandish cutlasses and flintlocks. I think it's important to make a distinction.
    ***OFF TOPIC*** A friend of mine likes sailing in the Caribbean and was telling me that during nights he and his wife have to take "Watch" shifts. One sleeps for a few hours then the next one does. He says this is because Piracy is still going strong. Maxim magazine did a story awhile back on how corrupt government officials in Cuba actually support the Pirates in that region for a cut in the take. It tells the story of a U.S. Citizen who was attacked by pirates and he called out for rescue. The Cuban Coast Guard showed up but before they showed the Pirates fled (CG calling ahead of time to tell the pirates to scram?) The CG then arrested the individual for calling in a false report and stalled his release to American Authorities until after his vessel was stripped of everything of value. They still wear eyepatches except now they are called sunglasses, and brandish cutlasses except now they are called matchettes, and flintlocks, except now they favor handguns and fully auto weapons.
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

•   

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMunkee View Post
    ***OFF TOPIC*** A friend of mine likes sailing in the Caribbean and was telling me that during nights he and his wife have to take "Watch" shifts. One sleeps for a few hours then the next one does. He says this is because Piracy is still going strong. Maxim magazine did a story awhile back on how corrupt government officials in Cuba actually support the Pirates in that region for a cut in the take. It tells the story of a U.S. Citizen who was attacked by pirates and he called out for rescue. The Cuban Coast Guard showed up but before they showed the Pirates fled (CG calling ahead of time to tell the pirates to scram?) The CG then arrested the individual for calling in a false report and stalled his release to American Authorities until after his vessel was stripped of everything of value. They still wear eyepatches except now they are called sunglasses, and brandish cutlasses except now they are called matchettes, and flintlocks, except now they favor handguns and fully auto weapons.
    Sounds great--put'em on the ROA as well--why not?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

Disney can make money by having them board the canoes and steal everyone's valuables!!
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

• Minion

That just never gets old.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Lover 68 View Post
    That just never gets old.
    Well, some haven't seen it, after all, not everyone stalks my posts waiting for a TSI/Pirates comment...

• Minion

It's not hard to do... just go to ANY thread...and if there is a Swab posting...sooner or later you'll whine about the pirates....hehehe

•   

Has anyone confirmed whether the "burning" cabin will be actual flame (as previous), or a POTC effect (seems likely)?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast