Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

The Sad State of the ROA Animatronics

I'm happy that TSI is getting some love, along with the Burning Cabin (whether or not it's burning), and a few other spots here and there along the Rivers of America. But as far as I've seen and read, the animatronics/figures along the river have been left untouched (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Last I saw them, most were pretty weathered down and looked pretty sad. Why not get some TLC while TSI is getting an update? Why allow these cute vignettes along the river to have their paint chipped away or their fur clearly deteriorating in easy view?

It's time to scratch those bears' backs.

• Minion

Re: The Sad State of the ROA Animatronics

Even all through the 50th - when some people said "the park never looked so good" these poor river robots were tattered and torn and faded and broken. Really, how long has it been since these things were properly serviced? And the kids on the boats all notice and talk about it.

• Crockett's Explorer Guide

Many of the animatronics will return, they are just in rehab.

From what I understand it will go like this;

The little Lakota boy (we call him "Awatha") will not come back.

The old lady churning butter (we call her.... "churning butter") will return

The bear will not return.

The beaver (either one) may or may not return.

The meerkats will not return.

and as for the Moose who only just recently lost his antler... who can say? I think it will soon be made into a female moose.

The good news is that the burning cabin has been under rehab, but so has the old eagles nest. They have also cut the grass all around it, maybe for more, and they have added a horse.

So, they are trying, I hope when all is done with the "lair" everything will look good.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

^Thanks for the info! Hmm, interesting...

I can't wait to see the new horse. Having them in my backyard, I'm quite fond of them...

Haha, I didn't even know there was an eagle's nest. Yeesh.

• Minion

Why are they gretting rid of so many animatronics? Because they aren't pirate-compatible - - or just cheapness?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    Why are they gretting rid of so many animatronics? Because they aren't pirate-compatible - - or just cheapness?
    Well, Native Americans and pirates aren't very compatible, but they're leaving them for the most part alone...

I'm guessing it's more costly for the fur-related animatronics to have upkeep.

• Crockett's Explorer Guide

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    Well, Native Americans and pirates aren't very compatible, but they're leaving them for the most part alone...

I'm guessing it's more costly for the fur-related animatronics to have upkeep.
    Most are just in dire shape, nothing to do with the pirates.

As for the pirate-native connection, just watch "Davy Crockett and the River Pirates".

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

We'll see if it's okay that pirates burn a house but not indians. Although I'd like to see it back.

Chad

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by aenobarbe View Post
    As for the pirate-native connection, just watch "Davy Crockett and the River Pirates".
    You're not trotting out that old chestnut again?

Really--if folks can't tell the difference between 17th century swashbuckling pirates in search of gelleons laden with treasure heading back to Spain, and ****-skin wearing, raft-paddling 19th century river pirates who chew tobaccy and throw Bowie knives, then Disney is right: They can do anything they want, and the uneducated masses will suck it up gladly.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

That moose was probably the worst. He (or she) had changed several shades since he was last painted , not to mention the several layers of bird poop. Someone posted one of him lately, but I'll scrounge around and see if I can find that shot. I was going to post it a few months ago but never did.

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    Well, Native Americans and pirates aren't very compatible..
    I agree. They didn't get along too well in Peter Pan.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    You're not trotting out that old chestnut again?

Really--if folks can't tell the difference between 17th century swashbuckling pirates in search of gelleons laden with treasure heading back to Spain, and ****-skin wearing, raft-paddling 19th century river pirates who chew tobaccy and throw Bowie knives, then Disney is right: They can do anything they want, and the uneducated masses will suck it up gladly.
    You always want to throw them all back to the 17th century when some of the most famous were in the 18th century. And yes, the river pirates and the other pirates are two different things... that being said...

That was close, I wasn't sure if YOU or Swab would swoop in to nail this... You're exceedingly dependable when it comes to pouncing on the pirate thing...
    Last edited by Pirate Lover 68; 05-01-2007 at 06:43 AM.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Lover 68 View Post
    You always want to throw them all back to the 17th century when some of the most famous were in the 18th century. And yes, the river pirates and the other pirates are two different things... that being said...

That was close, I wasn't sure if YOU or Swab would swoop in to nail this... You're exceedingly dependable when it comes to pouncing on the pirate thing...
    I get the distinct feeling you do not understand the difference between "the 1800s" and "the 18th century."

The 18th century refers to the years 1701 through 1800. Clearly too early even to represent "river pirates."

The 17th century refers to the 1600s--the years of the most pirate activity.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

What is referred to as piracy's "Golden Age" stretches (even by the most liberal of scholars) maybe to 1730. Steve is correct that piracy in it's famous "Age of Sail" incarnation was really a 17th century affair. Piracy still exists today, of course, in many different forms (now mostly technology-based), but I doubt they wear eyepatches and brandish cutlasses and flintlocks. I think it's important to make a distinction.
    Last edited by fo'c's'le swab; 05-01-2007 at 07:03 AM.

• It's all nonsense

It's got to be hard to keep AAs that are outside maintained.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

As for the ROA, I really was hoping the bear would make a return. I don't know why I liked that bear so much, but I suspect I'll miss seeing that tattered ol' grizzly regardless of his shabby appearance.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast