Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Have You Ever Befriended A Stranger At Disneyland

I'm interested in hearing from others about Disneyland experiences that have led you into forming spontenious friendships with people that you didn't know at the time.

While trodding about on Tom Sawyer Island once, I met a family w/kids that started up a conversation with me. We all had great senses of humor. They were particularly captivated by the view of the Splash Mountain log vehicles (at the bottom of the briar patch) when I pointed it out to them. Many people don;t know about this as it can only be seen from the island.

Anywho, the family ended up walking with me to the Adventureland Disneyland Railroad, and, among other things, picked my brain for good rides and shows that their kids would enjoy. We ended up riding some of the rides together in Toon Town and Fantasyland. There's been several occasions where I've formed friendships with folks while standing in line for an attraction. I've even made friends on Disneyland trams.

During a MiceChat meet last December, I physically met everyone there for the first time. I hadn't even met several of the MiceChatters on line. I enjoyed getting to know everyone better, and hung out with many of them. We ennded the day with an ice cream social at the Bleu Bayou Resataurant.

A few years ago, I ran into Martin Spanjers of 8 Simple Rules (To Date My Teenage Daughter). I had a long conversation with him about everything under the sun. He told me that he loves both Disneyland and DCA.

Any interesting stories out there?
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 05-01-2007 at 09:51 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

Re: Have You Ever Befriended A Stranger At Disneyland

Yes I did,

05 I was waiting for DCA to opened and I was wearing my Naruto headband and this person asked me if I came from the convention center, I said yes and we started talking. She then invited me to hang around with her and her friends for the day, I met up with her again in 06, I have a picture of her... she's my CM friend.

I should get into contact with her again.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLoup View Post
    Yes I did,

05 I was waiting for DCA to opened and I was wearing my Naruto headband and this person asked me if I came from the convention center, I said yes and we started talking. She then invited me to hang around with her and her friends for the day, I met up with her again in 06, I have a picture of her... she's my CM friend.

I should get into contact with her again.
    Wow! What are the chances that accidentally meeting up with the same person would recur two consecutive years...and at the same resort! To think that this lady was a total stranger at first. Wonder if the she was a CM in '05.

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Wow! What are the chances that accidentally meeting up with the same person would recur two consecutive years...and at the same resort! To think that this lady was a total stranger at first. Wonder if the she was a CM in '05.
    We planned the second one RW.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLoup View Post
    We planned the second one RW.
    Ah! That makes more sense.

• Cherry Tart

Back in summer 06 I stopped by the Junior Chef show pretty often to visit my friend who worked there, and I brought my sketchbook to keep my busy. There was a little girl named Ashley in the show, and her parents saw me sketching so they struck up a conversation with me. After that I didn't see them again.

Then in January this year I was waiting for Alice in the morning, and I saw Ashley and her parents again. Alice was Ashley's favorite character so we decided to wait together. During that time, Ashley saw fit to practically attach herself to me and demanded I play with her. Normally I don't do very well with kids, but she was so cute I couldn't help myself. So when Alice arrived Ashley walked with us and we each held onto her hands and swung her between us.

After that, her parents invited me to spend some time with them since Ashley didn't want me to go. I was touched. So I spent a good part of the day with them, and got a bunch of photos with this adorable little girl. They even included me in their personal family photos!

Just how cute is that? <3

Again, she latched onto me during musical chairs. XD

I've never met a child as sweet and adorable as Ashely. I really hope I get to see her again someday. Although the crackup was that the next day my arms ACHED from picking her up so much. Ah well, it was worth it.
    Last edited by littlecricket; 05-01-2007 at 11:25 AM.

But I don't want to go among MAD people!

• Merry 2014!

When VMK first went live with beta, I met a bunch of folks on one of the VMK forums and we formed fast friendships. We met four or five months later at DL when I visited. They all waited until I was there to meet up. We had the best time. So cool. STill friends with a couple of them even though I can't play VMK right now.

I have formed friendships while in lines and waiting for parades. There have been times when I have ridden several rides with different parties. If I get involved in a conversation usually there are questions about where things are, where to eat, etc. Most of the time we part company. It sure is fun to interact in a positive way.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• A Suitcase & A Dream

Last Christmas I was sitting on the curb in Town Square waiting for A Christmas Fantasy Parade when a family with two little girls maybe about 5 with their mom and dad came up behind me trying to find a spot to see the parade, there wasn't much room and I knew the girls would have a hard time seeing over me so I gave the girls my spot and stood with the parents. I started talking with the parents about Christmas at the park for about 15 mins before the parade started. After the parade ended they thanked me for giving the girls the spot, I ran into them later and pointed out a spot for them so the "snow" would fall on them after Believe.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by littlecricket View Post
    Back in summer 06 I stopped by the Junior Chef show pretty often to visit my friend who worked there, and I brought my sketchbook to keep my busy. There was a little girl named Ashley in the show, and her parents saw me sketching so they struck up a conversation with me. After that I didn't see them again.

Then in January this year I was waiting for Alice in the morning, and I saw Ashley and her parents again. Alice was Ashley's favorite character so we decided to wait together. During that time, Ashley saw fit to practically attach herself to me and demanded I play with her. Normally I don't do very well with kids, but she was so cute I couldn't help myself. So when Alice arrived Ashley walked with us and we each held onto her hands and swung her between us.

After that, her parents invited me to spend some time with them since Ashley didn't want me to go. I was touched. So I spent a good part of the day with them, and got a bunch of photos with this adorable little girl. They even included me in their personal family photos!

Just how adorable is that? <3

Again, she latched onto me during musical chairs. XD

I've never met a child as sweet and adorable as Ashely. I really hope I get to see her again someday. Although the crackup was that the next day my arms ACHED from picking her up so much. Ah well, it was worth it.
    This serves to prove that unlikely chance meetings do reoccur with people who were at first perfect strangers. She must be a precocious little girl as she looked quite poised in the pictue that shows her curtsy along with Alice. She is quite adorable. There's enough resemblance between you two that you could pass as her big sister.

Between the dining, chatting, picking her up, swing her round, and playing games - I'd say that you spoied that sweet little one rotten.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasmico! View Post
    When VMK first went live with beta, I met a bunch of folks on one of the VMK forums and we formed fast friendships. We met four or five months later at DL when I visited. They all waited until I was there to meet up. We had the best time. So cool. STill friends with a couple of them even though I can't play VMK right now.

I have formed friendships while in lines and waiting for parades. There have been times when I have ridden several rides with different parties. If I get involved in a conversation usually there are questions about where things are, where to eat, etc. Most of the time we part company. It sure is fun to interact in a positive way.
    Positive interaction makes a person feel good through and through.

Quote Originally Posted by imagineerthat View Post
    Last Christmas I was sitting on the curb in Town Square waiting for A Christmas Fantasy Parade when a family with two little girls maybe about 5 with their mom and dad came up behind me trying to find a spot to see the parade, there wasn't much room and I knew the girls would have a hard time seeing over me so I gave the girls my spot and stood with the parents. I started talking with the parents about Christmas at the park for about 15 mins before the parade started. After the parade ended they thanked me for giving the girls the spot, I ran into them later and pointed out a spot for them so the "snow" would fall on them after Believe.
    That was extremely kind hearted of you to go out of your way to see to it that a family with young children experience the magic of disneyland in a way that they will always cherish. You are a class act, imagineerthat! Love your NC handle.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

during our trip in in Janurary we were waiting in line for the Haunted Mansion and talking about HM and Haunt at Knotts and these two girls behind us started talking with us and the next thing we knew they were going on Pooh, Mr Toad and a couple other rides with us. They're now friends on myspace and our shared pix from that day are on their pages. it was so random and awesome
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

I do this kind of thing all the time. I'm normally rather shy when it comes to meeting new people, but when I'm in the Park, I let my guard down. I'm always chatting with total strangers.

A couple weeks ago I was in line for Peter Pan's Flight and this little girl ahead of me started smiling at me. Within about 5 minutes I was talking with her parents, who were from Texas, and had never been to DL before. I answered some of their questions, and gave a little advice. I hope I helped make their trip memorable.

My favorite time, though was in October of 2006. I was going to be watching the fireworks from in front of the Castle for the first time ever. Sitting next to me was this really great lady named Laura from San Jose. She told me about this website called MiceChat and we talked for about an hour and half. Laura, if you're still around, I forgot your screen name, and lost your email. I'd love it if we could get back in touch. I had a really awesome time that night.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...ony/047_47.jpg
    Are you telling me that you built a theme park.. out of a vinery and a bear shaped mountain?!!?..
    - WestsideCM99

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I wouldn't say I have made life long friends from strangers over there, but I do try to be as freindly as possible to others while I am there.

If I go solo, I will talk to people in line and let them know all the trivia privy only to us micechatters! LOL A couple months ago I met some guys from Chicago in the standby at Indy and had a good conversation throughout the whole line.

I will often volunteer to direct people who are obviously lost -- the ones who are staring at their maps, sometimes debating where a particular ride is. A couple months ago I helped this one family looking for Splash Mountain. I told them it was down for refurbishment. They were upset but thankful I informed them of this especially that we were near the hub at the time.

And just yesterday, I went solo after work and grabbed a box of popcorn. I was at ROA looking at them destroy -- um, improve -- TSI when a young couple with a toddler came walking nearby. There was about a quarter of the popcorn left so I gave it to the toddler and told her to go ahead and feed the ducks. The parents were so happy, and I said no problem and headed off toward the Haunted Mansion.

• YOU KNOW IT! YEAH!

In the queues for attractions. Usually we share snacks and stuff. DRIED MANGOES ALL THE WAY!!!!!! YEAH!! YOU KNOW IT!!! Its a little early for me right now

SUPPORT THE CMs

For me, Tomorrow is everyday...wait...what?

Talking Re: Have You Ever Befriended A Stranger At Disneyland

This usually happens while we are waiting for a parade. I have strucken up many a conversation with families sitting by me. Sometimes they ask about certain rides or good places to eat. Other times we just chat about our kids or comment about the people walking by. Other good conversation have taken place while waiting in line. What is nice is that you run into these people latter on the same day and catch up on how the day has progressed.

By far the time that stands out is the year we came across a little girl from Mexico who had gotten separated from her school group. This happened by the Jungle Cruise. As I talked to her, I tried to calm her fears. The CM who nearby had me ask her questions about her group. When security showed up, my mother and I reassured her that they would take care of her and that her teacher was probably looking for her too. What was special was that we saw her latter on in the day and she remembered us! She even pointed us out to her teacher as they walked by.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast