Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

Main Gate CMS - Why can't they greet you?

Okay, I know this thread may raise a few eyebrows with those front line castmembers who do their very best to be friendly, and to those castmembers I say this thread does not apply to you and thank you for all your hard work in upholding the Disney image. You guys make all the difference!

My question applies to those main entrance CMs who seem incapable of being friendly. The ones who take your ticket/passport, wave it under the lazer like a robot, hand it back, never even make eye contact, then send you on your way with a forced "Thank you" or nothing at all.

All I can say is that my friend and I returned from a 6-day trip to DL two weeks ago (had a blast by the way...) Over the course of 6 days, we entered and re-entered Disneyland no less than a dozen times each. That approximately 24 times through the main entrance, and only once, yes ONCE, did a castmember say, "How's it goin'?" The other 23 times brought no more than a half-hearted "hi" and most of the time, no spoken words of any kind.

"Have fun" or "Be sure to check out the..." or "Say hi to Mickey for me" or "Have a magical day" all seem to be relics of a language no longer spoken at Disneyland. Most front-line castmembers seemed over-worked, sour, grumpy, pre-occupied and not at all friendly.

No matter how you slice it up, 1 greeting out of 24 entrys is not a good record. Is it because I am a guy in his thrities entering the park with no children? Does one have to be a parent with kids in order to be greeted in a friendly manner at DL? Part of me wondered if I was there the week Matt forced the old Pressler/Hariss TDA suits to man the front gates. That sour grumpiness had to come from somewhere!

Disneyland used to understand the importance of having really friendly castmembers at the entrance. These CMs can make a break a guests' experience from the start. The main gate CMs are some of the most vital in the whole system. Although their job may be tedious, shouldn't they be the most friendly, rather than the least? :confused:

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

They do; and quite nicely!

WOW! You must be un-lucky or I am an extremely lucky fellow. Not only have I encountered nothing but nice CMs at the Main Gate(and the Monorail station for that matter) but I would go further and say that some of the most personable and friendly CMs I have encountered have been those who let my family and I into the Happiest Place on Earth
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• CM for 4 years!

No, I have bad luck with main gate CMs too. Admittedly, I did something annoying, but a CM should never audibly sigh at a guest, even if that guest is another CM. I didn't have my main gate pass out and ready which caused him to sigh.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• insufferable know-it-all

You know, it's a crap shoot. About 1/4 of the time I get the super-friendly "Disney" CMs, half the time I get someone who smiles and makes eye contact, and 1/4 of the time I get the "drive thru" CMs.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Hooterville, USA

My wife is one of those who take your ticket at the gate. Now, do you want her to chit chat with everyone that comes in the gate, and make you wait twice as long to get in? That's her dilemma. Be courteous but be quick.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Former CM

It only takes a second to say hi. There's enough time to say something while the ticket scans.

• Sock Puppet

I had one make me whip out my ID to prove it was me on my AP. then they quizzed me on my address and B-day. They must have thought i was using someone elses AP. The whole time I was thinking "are theses CM's security????"

• Gift Giver Extraordinare

This gets into the whole "cast member quality" topic but remember that the OC has super low unemployment so Disney must virtually take who they can get to work in the parks. With the resort the size that it is, it requires a lot of people to make it work. This would explain the crap shoot with the guest interaction.
    Walt's Magic Kingdom

AP since 1984

• insufferable know-it-all

idontneedaname: I can do ya one better, the parking lot CM looked at my AP and said "Okay..... is...she in the car?" (trying to see through my tinted windows).

"That's me"

"Oh," she said, "You look so young in the picture!"

(me crying)

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Banned User

I only have bad luck with the stupid security check people. I've also noticed I'm treated less nicely by alot of CMs because I'm a teenager *rolls eyes*

Wow an earthquake just now :O Well anyways, the older CMs at the gate always give my wife and i the rundown when my son walks up, he's almost 3, and they always ask whats his birthday, what day was he born on, blah blah blah. The younger CMs dont even blink an eye at him.

I must be lucky. I almost always get greeted by name at MG (at least as long as I'm using my AP). Then again, I usually greet them by name as well.

I learned a long time ago to use those CM nametags. It's amazing what a difference it makes when you say "Hi <insert name here>" to a CM.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    idontneedaname: I can do ya one better, the parking lot CM looked at my AP and said "Okay..... is...she in the car?" (trying to see through my tinted windows).

"That's me"

"Oh," she said, "You look so young in the picture!"

(me crying)

Wow, he/she probably didn't realize what they said until after you drove off

• WDW FAN

yes it does. we love it when you talk to us. not as an employee but as family. trust me, we are willing to go that extra mile.

• Rock Star Minion

I don't mind when they talk to me, to wish me a nice day in the park.
    Just don't waste time with all those people in front of me.
    After me, they can do do whatever they want.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast