Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Earthquake closes rides(?)

I just received a call from a friend visiting the park with out-of-town guests to let me know that this afternoon's earthquake caused the closure of Pirates, Indy, BTMRR and HM. Does this always happen? BTW, while on the phone with him, I could hear the Mark Twain's whistle in the background and I had to resist an urge to hop in the car and get to the park. When he told me how crowded it is, I thought better of it.

• Minion

Its standard operating procedure after an earthquake. The rides will be reopened soon. I think they may do a walk thru or something just to double-check.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by MrBoo
    I just received a call from a friend visiting the park with out-of-town guests to let me know that this afternoon's earthquake caused the closure of Pirates, Indy, BTMRR and HM. Does this always happen? BTW, while on the phone with him, I could hear the Mark Twain's whistle in the background and I had to resist an urge to hop in the car and get to the park. When he told me how crowded it is, I thought better of it.

I cam see them closing POTC because the water (anyone who has a pool knows what happens in an eartquake). But i dont see why they close the others

• At the Gym or at DL

I would imagine the fear with POTC and HM is due to the fact that these rides are underground. It sounds like they are playing it very safe but a large earthquake could potentially colapse the exits and trap guests underground.

• Hooterville, USA

I'm glad they worry about our safety.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries
    Many rides and attractions have a lot of sensors, many of which are programmed to make sure nothing "abnormal" happens.... The building and its contents shaking are not normal. These sensors tell the computer to shut down the ride for safety.

When that happens, the guests are normally taken off the ride, engineers come in and inspect the ride, if nothing is wrong, the ride is started back up, then a test run is performed without riders. Once all that is done, and there are no problems, then the ride is reopened.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• What have I done?

Darkbeer you rock! And are so knowledgable!

"This guy!"

SOP is to cycle the attraction out and have it inspected after an earthquake. If the quake is significant enough to damage any of the track on any of the mountains, either an automatic dispatch inhibit will initiate (stopping any more vehicles from entering the attractions) or an automatic e-stop will occur (in case of REALLY big track cracks).

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    Is anyone else amused by the fact that the ad at the top of the page is for emergency survival kits?

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries
    a 4.9...no biggie.....would barely stir my drink.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

OK, in retrospect, I can understand DL's concern for safety. I live in Fontana, only about 20 miles from the epicenter and, yes, it was a good jolt, but as any native Californian does, you shake it off and keep going. In fact my friend called me to ask if there was an earthquake because he didn't feel it at the Park (although I don't know where he was when it happened).

I guess that I was a little surprised that DL took such extreme (in my book) actions in response to the earthquake, but it makes me glad that they did. Better safe than sorry, I always say. Well, actually, I've never said that before, but...nevermind.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by GymMouse
    I would imagine the fear with POTC and HM is due to the fact that these rides are underground. It sounds like they are playing it very safe but a large earthquake could potentially colapse the exits and trap guests underground.
    What ever gave you the idea that these rides were underground?

• insufferable know-it-all

a 4.9...no biggie.....would barely stir my drink.
    Oh, you just say that because you rode a bigger one in a packed baseball stadium!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    well, like Darkbeer said, I imagine the shut downs were triggered by the internal sensors of the rides.

I was there Sunday after that quake, and the Monorail had been closed to check the beam.

I found it odd that it closed about an hour after the earthquake, and I rode it before it closed about half hour after the quake.
    Former Submarine Voyage CM 1994-1995

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast