•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

Disney Travel or Disney Hotel Direct??

I am wondering if booking reservations thru Walt Disney Travel Co. is any better than booking directly with the hotel if I'm not going to need passes or any of the dining vouchers etc., etc.,? I spoke with a most wonderful cm named Jan the other night at the Hotel directly. She was soo helpful, had me on the phone for a good half hour making sure I knew of all the upcoming events and details for when my family would be there at the end of June. She even let me know the GCH has ALL NEW 42" flat screen tvs in all the rooms. The next day I called Walt Disney Travel Co., (to see if any rooms had freed up for the POTC premier weekend) and the gal there, tho' helpful and courteous was softly chiding me for having booked my room directly with the hotel and not with the Travel Co. She implied she could either have gotten it to me for less $$ or perhaps insured a better room. ???? Is this true? Or was she just trying to make a sale???

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Disney Travel or Disney Hotel Direct??

Generally booking directy with the hotel will give you better rates. Call the hotel directly instead of a centralized 800 number. Also I heard try calling the hotel at a time that they are not busy checking guests in and out, around 10 at night or after 4 pm on Sunday.

• It's all nonsense

Seeing as how the hotels seem to book up quickly all the time I don't see how an agent could have gotten some magical deal. Plus you don't have full control of your vacation with a travel agent.

• A Pirate's life for me!

As many times that we have stayed at the DL Hotel, we have always found it best to call them DIRECT.

We've been there numerous times, and we know the place very well (and have AP's), so we don't need any sales pitch for package "deals" or add-on extra's like you will get from Disney Travel.

We're just looking for the best price.

And we get it by calling the Hotel direct.

Enjoy!

I think you get better rates booking directly through the hotel (DLR room reservations, now). You can also get your tickets through the hotel. You don't get all this extra useless extra stuff that the WDTC offers but that stuff certainly doesn't come free. Also, booking direct with the hotel, you can cancel up to 72 hours before with absolutely no penalty and even after that it is minimal. You don't pay until you get there. That WDTC cancellation and payment policy is extremely exorbitant.

• Circle of Ancients

I think you're better off booking directly with the hotel or with a travel company such as Expedia or Travelocity.

The Walt Disney package will come with a really cute envelope colorful coupons for things like early admission into the park , a free lanyard and pin, and a few other things. But you'll also probably be paying quite a bit more for those few extra things.

I have an AP and when I called the Paradise Pier Hotel to ask for discount rates, they were quite a bit higher than the rates at Expedia for the same dates and same room were. I let the CM know what the Expedia rate was and she matched it for me. I was very happy about that!

Do you have to pay ahead of time at Expedia?

• Minion

I prefer using the WDTC for booking passes. Main reason? If I want to add a day, I can do it at the discounted rates, whereas purchasing online or direct, I have to use the gate prices to upgrade a day. (BT/DT.) As for hotel, I would book that directly.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by nemopoppins View Post
    Do you have to pay ahead of time at Expedia?

Yes, which is one of the main reasons booking directly with the hotel is always my first choice if they've got the best rates. You can pay $14 for a cancellation fee waiver with Expedia and if you don't and you decide to cancel , you have to pay a $25 cancellation fee.

• Merry 2014!

another good thing about booking directly with any hotel is that they will have the most up to date status on rooms. Place like Expedia buy a chunk of rooms and when those sell out they claim the hotel is booked when often there are rooms available when dealing directly with the specific hotel.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!