Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is Sept a good month to visit? anything usually closed?

we are planning a visit this year. We were first going to go in August, but then thought September may be less busy. I just don't want to go if a lot of stuff may be closed for maintenance. Anyone know if September has a lot of rides down? Like when do they close HM for the nightmare before christmas stuff?
    I love Disneyland Resort!

• a kiss for a thimball

Escondido CA (1hr 15min from door to parked!)

Re: Is Sept a good month to visit? anything usually closed?

hm i thougt closes begingin of sept... and if i remember correct the normal maintainance of the matterhorn is also sept. but it just went under of a few weeks so i am not sure what they will do..
    -Miss Wendy Lynn

The second star to the right
    Shines in the night for you
    To tell you that the dreams you plan
    Really can come true

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I think that the lessening of crowds in September far outweighs the disappointment of any ride closures you may face. September seems to bring with it to the park a return to order from the chaos of summer.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Circle of Ancients

The only things scheduled (as of now) are Haunted Mansion and Gadgets Go Coaster.

Of course, everything is subject to change.

I have gone in September in the past. Crowds weren't to bad, and the weather was good. If you go past the 2nd week in September (I think) the Haunted Mansion will be probably closed while they are doing the Holliday overlay. Check the Disneyland website for closed rides and calendar events. Most importantly have a good time.

I highly recommend it. September is my favorite time of the year at the park! The weather is still very nice and the summer crainess is gone(after labor day). The crowds are almost non existent during the week and you don't have to wait in line for almost anything. It is wonderful. You feel like you have the park to yourself. The haunted mansion is down during that time, so that is a bummer. But, the small crowds more than make up for missing 1 ride.

• Loves Fajita!

Last year I went the last weekend in September. The mansion had just opened as HMH and the only ride that was closed in DL was the Matterhorn. We went Wednesday - Sunday

The crowds were great before Friday evening - and by that time we had already done plenty of things so we mainly hung out on the Weekend for the entertainment that was not going on during the week (fireworks & such). The weather was in the low 80's and a tad chilly in the evening.

I would say it was the perfect time and we are doing it again this year.

• Banned User

Peronally, I like October better. (If you don't want to hit the Christmas stuff.) In October, you can see the HMH overlay, and the weather is fantastic!!!

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Be aware that to avoid crowds you need to avoid weekends, but in so doing once you get past Labor Day DLR reduces park hours and shows on weekdays. For example, the fireworks and Fantasmic are typically only shown on weekends at this time of year.

I think the decision on whether Sept is good time to depends on a number of factors including how often one visits DLR. For people who visit at least twice a year then having a ride down or missing a show is not a big deal because they can see it on their next trip. For people who visit every couple years it can be a bigger deal to miss such things. For me personally we visit DLR on a multi-day trip about once every two years, and would be hugely disappointed to miss a major ride like Haunted Mansion or Matterhorn. So we just go in the summer when the rides and shows are maxed out and we do not have to worry about it. It is more crowded, but if you can stick to weekdays it is manageable IMO.

• At one w/ our Disneyness

I too prefer October to September. Especially if I already plan to pull the kids outta school -- much better bang for my bux in October, sooo much less crowded, in fact I wouldn't use the word 'crowd' at all in October save for the weekends...plus we love Halloween and HM just can't be beat that time of year! Plus, it's Southern Cal. so the weather is still easily in the upper 70s PERFECT D-land temp!

October is great because of the halloween festivities. But with those activities comes more of a crowd. (nothing compared to summer of course). We live in Vegas but are down in the Los Angeles area for the month of September and part of October. So naturally we try to go once a week while we are down there. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are empty at the park in September and gradually get more crowded as you aproach Halloween. Hydroguy makes a good point though, they don't usually run fantasmic or fireworks during the week then. So, if that is important to you try to get there for a weekend day too.

• Lincoln and Julie!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl View Post
    I think that the lessening of crowds in September far outweighs the disappointment of any ride closures you may face.
    100% true. We often plan trips outside of the 'normal' times to go, and, as usual, there is something down. Last couple of times it has been the Matterhorn or the Railroad or Splash Mt, but trust me, it's worth it. The best time I've ever had in DL was when it was NOT packed. Plus, fondness makes the heart grow fonder with the rides you missed. And there is so much stuf to do in DL that one or two rides shut down dosen't change much.

• Thurl,gone,not forgotten

Based on last year.HM will go down Sept. 4th till 28th.

• 1375 miles away

Well, we haven't been in September yet but we are going to give it our first try this year. From all the info I have gathered September sounds like it should be a great time to visit. We will be arriving on the 3rd to try to catch the HM before it goes down and takes on the holiday overlay, as we have never gotten to see it in it's original state. I know it will probably be pretty busy that day because of the Labor Day weekend and the marathon but we aren't making any big plans the first night. After that we are really hoping the crowds drop off the rest of the week. True, you do have shorter hours on the off season but with less crowds we have always been able to get plenty done on any short days in the fall months. I would never even consider going during peak season when they do have longer hours. Maybe we will see you in September!
    Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-14

Our Long Awaited, Long Awaited Trip Report November 2010
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...post1056434199
    Our First Trip to WDW December 2009
    http://micechat.com/forums/walt-disn...16-2009-a.html
    November 2008 trip report! Updated 1/13/09!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...23-2008-a.html

• Closet DLR fan

September/October is my favorite time of year to go; the only drawback is that I've never yet been on the non-Holiday version of Haunted Mansion since it's either already got the overlay or is closed to put it up. Matterhorn usually seems to be closed when we're there; I've only been on it once.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast