Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tom Sawyer Island / Pirate's Lair - Capacity & Evacuation

Just curious... with the upcoming Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island and the increased traffic flow out there...

1) Does anyone know what the fire department approved capacity for Tom Sawyer Island is?
    2) In the event of an emergency, does anyone know what means of evacuation they have from the island? I would think the rafts would be a little slow in an emergency situation.
    Always remember the Disney Magic!

Re: Tom Sawyer Island / Pirate's Lair - Capacity & Evacuation

Don't know what the capacity is and the evac procedure shouldn't be any differnt than its been for the last 50 years....

• Mickey Mouse Slave

best bet is that the safe haven would be the empty place in the front facing NOS and Frontierland.

Capacity, however many people can fit in that safe haven already
    ~ A Cute, Little, Fuzzy, Silly, and Chubby Cast Member ~

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DisneysMagic View Post
    Just curious... with the upcoming Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island and the increased traffic flow out there...

1) Does anyone know what the fire department approved capacity for Tom Sawyer Island is?

I'm almost positive as there are new structures on the island that there will need to be inspected before the island re-opens. I doubt this has been determined yet. I took a good look last Saturday. The fort is clearly to be reopened--at least in part--and I imagine the extent of the fort's reopening would weigh significantly on the capacity. There's also a new "ship" structure on the island as well.

2) In the event of an emergency, does anyone know what means of evacuation they have from the island? I would think the rafts would be a little slow in an emergency situation.
    As the water is about 4 feet deep, I doubt that there needs to be any such plan. I personally have never seen any posted evac route.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandtour View Post
    As the water is about 4 feet deep, I doubt that there needs to be any such plan. I personally have never seen any posted evac route.
    The water is more than four feet deep in the very middle it is more like at least 5 or 6 feet deep. Even if it were 4 feet deep that is way too deep for people to go across in an emergency situation, combined with the fact that they would easily trip on the track for the columbia and mark twain.

I would think the only reason they would evacuate the island is if there was a fire. If it were an earthquake I personally would rather be in the middle of TSI than anywhere else.

• Santa Barbara, CA

I think they define "emergency" differently... like if a crowd of French Mimes showed up.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
    I think they define "emergency" differently... like if a crowd of French Mimes showed up.
    Silent, but deadly.

• Still lost in Neverland

There is a hidden hydraulic bridge that rises up and people can walk on water to safety.

There has been an evac procedure and a capacity for the island since in opened. Nothing will change as the island was extremely popular when it first opened. When it reaches capacity, they will halt taking people over until a group comes back, then only allow the same number of new people over. I imagines that in addition to the rafts, the canoes, Mark Twain and Columbia would be used. There are docking facilities for both boats on the island for Fantamic use.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Disgruntled Former CM

Sorry; if there is a fire on the island, all bets are OFF and this Queen is getting her you-know-what to Land (Adventure-, Frontier-, New Orleans Square, or Critter Country) if I have to walk on the water...

We're talking 25 yards of 6-foot-deep water here; not white water rapids or the Colorado River; trust me, if there ever is (God forbid...) a fire on the island, a lot of Pirates, first mates, Cast Members, Guests, Tom Sawyers and Becky Thatchers are going in the drink; I just worry about wheelchair bound guests getting off safely...

There is the foot of duck guano on the bottom to consider...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    There is a hidden hydraulic bridge that rises up and people can walk on water to safety.
    Bridge or no bridge, I'm swimming for it.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

You know, a hydraulic bridge would be AWESOME!

• Feed the Ducks!

We'll just line up the canoes and make a floating bridge.

Near enough to disneyland to love the fireworks...

I imagines that in addition to the rafts, the canoes, Mark Twain and Columbia would be used. There are docking facilities for both boats on the island for Fantamic use.
    They can't use the Twain or Columbia, though they wanted to. The 'dock' for Fan is essentially a plank coming from the ships to the land. dangerous, insecure, and in too odd a place to make an actual 'dock' with a line and such.

If you go to the raft dock now you can see sharpie marked circles for line poles extending most of the way across the front of the river up to the pirates entrance.

• Minion

There has been an evac procedure and a capacity for the island since in opened. Nothing will change as the island was extremely popular when it first opened. When it reaches capacity, they will halt taking people over until a group comes back, then only allow the same number of new people over. I imagines that in addition to the rafts, the canoes, Mark Twain and Columbia would be used. There are docking facilities for both boats on the island for Fantamic use.
    Oh, I'd think they could borrow something from USH to facilitate an 'Exodus' from the island.

Me personally, If there ever is a fire I'm gonna pop a chill pill, and laugh at all the people in the drink, whilst enjoying a good laugh, and waiting for the fire to fisl out. nuf said end of drama, time for a churo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast