Correlation between one's proximity to Disneyland and one's level of DL collecting

I know that there is a category for collectibles, but I have a question that is more general:

Question: What is the correlation between one's proximity to Disneyland and their tendancy to buy Disneyland (park-related) collectibles?

In other words, if you live in or around Anaheim, are you more or less likely to collect park collectibles? Since you can see the park on a regular basis, you may not feel the need to have these things in your home. (I know I've heard a lot of dedicated cast members express this philosophy.)

By collectibles I am thinking about things like attraction posters (either mini or full size), big figures (like the Pirate auctioneer), sculptures (like the set of bronze Partners statues) and other attraction collectibles (like the reproduction of the Barker Bird from the Disneyland 50th anniversary collection). Not so much your run-of-the mill souvenirs. For the sake of argument, keep pins out of it, since they are an phenomenon unto themselves.

I, for example, live in Minnesota and only get to one of the parks (usually Disneyland) a couple times a year. Therefore I REALLY feel the "need" to collect Disneyland related items/collectibles. Our home is filled with them. In fact, our kitchen is adorned with items from Main Street USA, our living room - Fantasyland, our den - Frontierland, our bedrooms and bathroom - Adventureland, our basement - Tomorrowland and Toon Town, and our upstairs - New Orleans Sqaure. Yes, we are nuts and big time collectors.

I ask myself: Would I collect all this stuff if I lived 30 minutes from Disneyland, or Walt Disney World? For me, I think the answer would be 'Yes.'

I'm curious what the case is for all of you! Thanks.
    "Quit talking while I am interrupting..."

Visit my bluegrass band's web site at: www.monroecrossing.com

• Banned User

Re: Correlation between one's proximity to Disneyland and one's level of DL collectin

I live 5 minutes away from the park and I don't buy anything from the parks. I have a Space Mountain poster I've had since I was a teenager and that's it.

Re: Correlation between one's proximity to Disneyland and one's level of DL collectin

I also realize that some people just don't have the collecting gene. I do, and then some!
    "Quit talking while I am interrupting..."

Visit my bluegrass band's web site at: www.monroecrossing.com

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

I've noticed the older I get, the more money I make, the more I collect. It's a matter of supply (money) versus demand (bills)!

• Senior Minion

I've only gotten a handful of bigger Disneyland items:

• 1968 Big Park Map
    • 50th Anniversary Big Park Map
    • Dave Avanzino "Disneyland" shadow box
    • Evil Queen Mirror (which is my favorite ... when I walk by it the slave shows up in the mirror)

Being so close I tend to see the posters and such, so I'm not too into that. But, I tend to buy items that have sentimental value to me. I do have my eye on a few big figs ... and I'm really wanting to buy that Frontierland fountain sculpture. Also, I found out that at the Gallery I can print out some really cool items as well ... so I'm thinking about getting some of those.

• DL Fanatic

Sequoia National Park, CA (trying to get to Orange County)

I live 9 hours from it and my collection is the audio library and videos from my trips there. anything else was just the minor souvenir.
    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Great post! I live 20 minutes away, and don't really collect anything. I do have items that happen to be Disney related, but I don't go out of my way to obtain them. This doesn't mean I don't like the park any less. It all has to do with having the real thing so close by! (Not to rub it in y'all's faces!)

You can say that the town where I live has some collectibles. Rogers Gardens now owns the gazebo that was once the Disneyland bandstand from the opening of the park through the '60s. And the Balboa Bay Club was built by Jack Wrather, the same guy who built the Disneyland Hotel.

• potterday.org

Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY View Post
    I've noticed the older I get, the more money I make, the more I collect. It's a matter of supply (money) versus demand (bills)!
    I've got to get behind this contention. But I think one's prediliction for collecting plays an equal part. Along with space.

For example, I live in a teenie-tiny apartment in the barrio of Fullerton. I don't have room for big figs, attraction posters, and the lot. Though I'd like to have a few some days.

On the other hand, I live close enough to drive to the park without using a freeway. And the only thing I collect from the park is the themed baseballs.

This also has to do with the fact that I think Disneyland merchandise has declined significantly over time, become homogenous.
    Zoe Necrosis
    Chancellor, Yensid's School of Sorcery and Necromancy

Potter Day Lite: Spring 2013!

http://potterday.org

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

The only correlation I can find is an inversely proportionate ratio of DL memorabilia to cash in the ol' bank account. The only anomoly I have ever encountered is Charlie (Circarama), who is as rich as Midas, and still owns everything ! Just kidding Charlie--about everything (except the "you being filthy rich and owning everything" part).
    Last edited by fo'c's'le swab; 05-03-2007 at 08:58 AM.

We live about an hour away and go to the Park a couple times a month and my husband would be in shock if I came home empty handed. I also buy from a lot of other sources though too. I'm bad for signing up for all those subscription that come through the mail for new Hamilton or Lenox or Bradford Edition pieces. It is amazing how much stuff is out there!

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

I grew up living 4 1/2 miles away from Disneyland. Now I live 20 miles and we actually have MORE stuff living further away.

3 hours away and I do have a few things not to much

This is a tough one. I've lived within 50 miles of the Parks my whole life, including working there for 6 years, and I've amassed a huge amount of collectible merchandise. However, I often think if I were to move out of state, where Disneyland wasn't in my face all the time, I'd likely slow down quite a bit on the buying.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    I grew up living 4 1/2 miles away from Disneyland. Now I live 20 miles and we actually have MORE stuff living further away.
    I'm sure, for you, that may seem like a BIG difference.
    But living 378.2 miles from the DL Parking Garage, I
    really don't feel your pain of the extra 15.5 miles

When I lived in Minnesota, I didn't have too many Disney
    things. But now that I am in Phoenix, the collection has
    definitely increased. It scares me to think what it MIGHT
    be if I lived only 20 miles away!