• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Who goes there? Friend or Foe?

I'm all for CMs, on the most part they do an amazingly difficult job, with a smile and often go out of their way to make sure that the Show is preserved.

But don't you think that the 'Friends Of Cast Members' badge abbreviation is a little unfortunate? If you say it phonetically and quickly?

Yeah... FOCM!

Much love to the CMs!
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Re: Who goes there? Friend or Foe?

Well, it sounds bad if you take it as a negative. As in "Cast Members? Ah, FOCM!"

But if you REALLY like a Cast Member, you could should your appreciation when you FOCM.

Bless 'em all.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

LOL!

I guess f.o.c.u was taken. Friends of characters' university.

Chad

• Banned User

That's Disney's stance on the matter.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis View Post
    But if you REALLY like a Cast Member, you could should your appreciation when you FOCM.
    Only the attractive ones... or am I misunderstanding you

Okay this is destined for the litter box...
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    That's Disney's stance on the matter.
    Sad but true my friend.

I hope that we see a time where the CMs are viewed as assets and an intregal part of the park rather than a cut rate utility.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by monotonehell View Post
    Sad but true my friend.

I hope that we see a time where the CMs are viewed as assets and an intregal part of the park rather than a cut rate utility.
    When I worked there we were part of some triangle.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Seeing as though I presume this is directed at me since the graphic you grabbed comes directly from my link in my signature here's what I understand of this.

First, that graphic has been in my sig almost since I join MC. I'm not much into changing sigs, so henceforth the graphic has stayed because, well frankly, I'm just not into the changing sigs thing every week.

Second, how the graphic came into my sig in the first place. When I first joined, I saw the graphic in another users sig so I asked him what it meant. Now this was about two years ago, and that said member does not have it in his sig anymore, so the whole point is probably mute. However, the definition I received was basically it was to show the support to the CM's of the time. That time was basically right before the 50th, the beginning of the end of the Eisner era and a time when CM's were considered nothing more than a objects that made the parks run.

The way I understood the idea was that it was more of nose thumbing from the CM's to upper management that they too had support and people who appreciate their hard work. It was never my understanding or interpretation that it was against the CM's. If that was the case I would have never had, and will now remove it permanently.

But on that same point, yes it was a play on the phoenitics of the word, kind of like a CM member saying, "We have support too, so FOCM." as if said to upper management.

So, if you are asking me "Who goes there? Friend or Foe?" My intentions from day one have always been friend. Without CM's there is no Disneyland.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DLandFansAZ View Post
    Seeing as though I presume this is directed at me ...

But on that same point, yes it was a play on the phoenitics of the word, kind of like a CM member saying, "We have support too, so FOCM." as if said to upper management.

So, if you are asking me "Who goes there? Friend or Foe?" My intentions from day one have always been friend. Without CM's there is no Disneyland.
    It wasn't directed at anyone, just pointing out a funny observation. I had the idea that it was an intentional play on "words", but I guessed that most people wouldn't know that anymore.

I remember when more people had it in their sigs in the past and assumed at the time it was an unofficial grassroots movement something like COW.

Don't take it out of your sig! I love it, it sums up your support for CMs and protests at their treatment by management all in one very clever little graphic.

BUT: What you do have to explain is "Wooden coin guy"...

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

No problem, I just wanted to make sure that no one was offended or took it the wrong way. Ah, but who cares, if they took it the wrong way, well FOCM.

Quote Originally Posted by monotonehell View Post
    BUT: What you do have to explain is "Wooden coin guy"...
    The wooden coin thing comes from Geocaching. If you're not sure what that is you can check out www.geocaching.com, but simply it's finding caches using a GPS. Anyway, when caching, you trade trinkets or just leave small signature items. One day we were sitting in our office and it occured to us that we could use our laser (that we use for other things) to cut out and engrave signature wooden nickels. When people started finding them in caches they started asking us to make them for them too. Next thing you know were making thousands of these things for cachers.

<----My avatar is the one I leave in caches

Now come forward to the Gumball Rally/Micequest last September. I volunteered to make these (which weren't wooden) for the organizers to give away.

and I also made these for the Sunday meet:

plus I have made a few custom ones for some of the people on MC such as this one, which is about 2.5 times larger than the ones at the meet:

So that's the story behind the wooden coin dude!

If you are wondering, here is a picture of the Gumball/MiceQuest ones just after completion on the laser:

Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• That Guy

Ahh, memories.

Having created FOCM, allow me to explain.

As my man, DlandFansAZ, has explained, FOCM is 100% in support of CMs. It was from day one, and is still today. At the time, we were seeing a bunch of CM bashing, and we wanted to have a way to remind CMs that there are people that value and appreciate the strong work they do to make DLR the amazing place it is. Also two years ago was when 'Meet the Fockers' came out, so it was a play on 'Focker' If anything, 'FOCM' is directed towards mean, nasty guests.

I had it on my sig forever until wherever it was hosted went away. I need to get it back on there. Also, there were buttons you could buy with the message. Guests could buy them and give them to CMs who were doing a great job, as a token of appreciation.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by DLandFansAZ View Post
    Seeing as though I presume this is directed at me since the graphic you grabbed comes directly from my link in my signature here's what I understand of this.

First, that graphic has been in my sig almost since I join MC. I'm not much into changing sigs, so henceforth the graphic has stayed because, well frankly, I'm just not into the changing sigs thing every week.

Second, how the graphic came into my sig in the first place. When I first joined, I saw the graphic in another users sig so I asked him what it meant. Now this was about two years ago, and that said member does not have it in his sig anymore, so the whole point is probably mute. However, the definition I received was basically it was to show the support to the CM's of the time. That time was basically right before the 50th, the beginning of the end of the Eisner era and a time when CM's were considered nothing more than a objects that made the parks run.

The way I understood the idea was that it was more of nose thumbing from the CM's to upper management that they too had support and people who appreciate their hard work. It was never my understanding or interpretation that it was against the CM's. If that was the case I would have never had, and will now remove it permanently.

• Grim Grinning Ghost

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I Want That Simple Life"

B.F.F.=Brian Fyfe Forever
    4-8-1983 to 4-28-2010