• It's all about Theme!

Midway Games Closing?

I heard from Mouseplanet.com that this summer the Midway Games would be indefinately closing. I went on Disneyland.com and there was nothing on the refurb list. Is that because the games aren't thought of as real attractions or is nothing happening?
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Banned User

Re: Midway Games Closing?

I may be wrong(cause I haven't been in over a year) but they were demolished a few months ago to make room fo Toy Story Mania(which will take its place).

-Jojo

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
    I may be wrong(cause I haven't been in over a year) but they were demolished a few months ago to make room fo Toy Story Mania(which will take its place).

-Jojo
    Midway Mania only replaced a few Foods buildings that were always closed (aka Maliburritos). The games are still there.

• Banned User

Oh what a shame! I want those games gone! It's totally not Disney! I thought they were gone! NOOOO!!!

-Jojo

They're listed as closed throughout summer on the official Disneyland website. I just checked 20 seconds ago and they are still listed as closed.

• Lowering Expectations

Might I point out that, as much as I despise them, the midway games fit perfectly with the theme of the incoming attraction.

• Resident Ghost

Might I also point out that no one wants to pay more money to play a game after spending $100+ to get in the park, eat, and buy souvenirs.

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

The places that were demo'd to build the new Toy Story Midway Mania Manic Many Monikers Mansion were Maliburitos and Pacific Ocean Photos. But as to the current closure I am clueless.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    Might I point out that, as much as I despise them, the midway games fit perfectly with the theme of the incoming attraction.
    Yep, and unfortunetly you are right. I despise them too, they just aren't Disney.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• Disney worshipper/geek

It wouldn't be so bad if the prizes were actual DISNEY stuffed animals...those generic ones are just pathetic. Even the Orange County Fair offers better prizes. Sesame Street and Simpsons characters, oh yeah! Blue, pink and gray dolphins...not so much...

Would a Mickey or a stitch kill them?
    My mind won't rest
    and I don't sleep
    Not even in my dreams...
    -"If You Ever Did Believe"
    written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
    1985-2005

Quote Originally Posted by sorceress1986 View Post
    It wouldn't be so bad if the prizes were actual DISNEY stuffed animals...those generic ones are just pathetic. Even the Orange County Fair offers better prizes. Sesame Street and Simpsons characters, oh yeah! Blue, pink and gray dolphins...not so much...

Would a Mickey or a stitch kill them?
    yes i would actually here is why you can win a stuffed animal from those games for like 3 dollars but for a Mickey Mouse one they can charge you 9

Quote Originally Posted by MRBboy2005 View Post
    Might I also point out that no one wants to pay more money to play a game after spending $100+ to get in the park, eat, and buy souvenirs.

That is an interesting comment but if you had been in DCA the last two weekends you might have noticed diferently. The games actually had people waiting to play.

As for the reason the games are listed as closing, yes they will be closing. As everybody knows the area is getting its enancement "placemaking" this includes the midway games.

Non of the midway games were removed for Toy Story Mdway Mania. The chip and strips, maliburito and pacific photos were demolished.

there are plans to possibly remove/reconfigure one or of the games (the one closest to the construction) to allow for a backstage access area. the original backstage access area is being used for Midway Mania.

So along with Screamin having a late opening to allow for construction, the games will close temporarily. If all goes well the whole pier will be getting its victorian overlay section at a time.

Eventually when approved the placemaking and enhancement will continue in January 2008 with the draining of the bay to start construction for WWOC. Then also continue with the possible removal of Pizza OOm Mow Mow and Burger Invasion to be replaced with a still to be approved heavily themed project.

It will then continue with the retheming of the orange stinger and head north to the Mullholand Madness area. The mouse coaster is being considered for removal either very soon or before the end of the decade to be replaced by an indoor rollercoaster.

The jumping jelley fish might also be removed to make way for a themed viewing area for WWOC another thing being considered is the relocation of the zephyr (although that is still not decided and other locations are being looked at for its relocation)

At the moment route 66 would get completely changed with a possibility of one or two more attractions added to the area. One of those could eventually close and remove golden dreams.

Hopes for these plans are to try and get these projects approved and done so that they are ready by the time WWOC opens in 2009.

So expect quite a lot of changes to that whole side of the park to enhance the theming that is there now

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by monotonehell View Post
    The places that were demo'd to build the new Toy Story Midway Mania Manic Many Monikers Mansion were Maliburitos and Pacific Ocean Photos. But as to the current closure I am clueless.
    Chips Dips and Strips was also demolished.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...