Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• JMUBOY - 30 Yrs Of Magic!

Re: 50th Merchandise Event - The Final Straw

THIS EVENT WAS FANTASTIC! The Orange Grove party blew me away. The real Mouseketeers and all! I am so shocked this was produced just for us. The auction was fun, the food was great (Especially Tastes of DL). I am soooo happy I did this event. I got lots of signatures at the signing events too.
    WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

I agree, this was the best event ever!! So worth every penny, and SO well run by WDES. I have to say they did an outstanding job. I started writing a more detailed description, but it got so long I think I'll start another thread. I'll post when I'm through writing!
    --Jonathan

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

Moderator Note:

Just a reminder that personal attacks are NOT allowed by ANYONE. Feel free to attack the message, but not the messenger. Example:

Allowable: "That statement is ludicrous."
    Not Allowable: "You're ludricous for saying that."

(Pretty much if it uses "you are" with a derogatory adjective, it's not allowable.)

If you have any questions regarding this policy, please refer to our FAQ.

Thanks!

I loved it!
    Permanecer sentado por favor...

The Orange Grove Party really blew me away with the entertaiment. The gift for all package levels was very nice (rest of the gifts I wasn't too impressed with). Breakfast on the Mark Twain.... well, the best thing that sums that up is what someone posted on another board.... "But, I'll bet when Walt & Lillian celebrated their anniversary on the Mark Twain, Lillian wasn't balancing her plate on her knee." I saw spills left and right, Im surprised that I didnt see anyone slip from a spill.

Taste of Disneyland was great, Auction was great, winning bidders lounge at the auction was great. Seminars were great (only ended up going to 2 of my 4, and one was about something completely differnt than what it was advertised as). Only rude cast member I experienced at the event was the one I was expecting it from even before the event began. Rest of the cast members working the event went above and beyond what I was expecting.

• Minion

The event was fantastic! The seminars were wonderful (except, in my opinion, that not-so-"Hidden Treasures" one by C. Goosman - waste of time and a bore), the signings were terrific, met some great people at the event, was very happy with the way everything played out. The Orange Grove party was excellent! I wasn't expecting freebies so when we got them, it was just a nice surprise to get them. Worth the $$ we paid just to be able to get in the dated merchandise line before the DCA slumber-party people. I think Martha and her group of CM's were outstanding!

We had a very nice, memorable time.

Thumbs up Re: 50th Merchandise Event - The Final Straw

After all of the speculation and drama, the 50th event was the best! Everyday was packed with information, experiences and fun! Our first seminar was with Kevin Rafferty. Here is a man who is living a dream. He talked about his imagineering of such attractions as Mickey's Philharmagic, WDW Pooh, Tower of Terror, and many others. His stories were fantastic.

We then went to hear Andrew Sutton, the executive chef of Napa Rose. He was very entertaining and showed us how to prepare a tasty avacado mango dish, (with or without Mango). We will be dining there again and again as long as Mr. Sutton is in charge.

We met many interesting people at the afternoon signing including Bruce Gordon, Stacia Martin, Tim O'day, Robert Olszewski, and especialy Marie Osmond who was very sweet and fun to talk with. The Taste of Disneyland was great with Granvilles, Hooks Pointe, and Napa Rose serving our favorites.

We participated in Stacia Martin's seminar Saturday morning and found her to be very enthusiastic and nice. Our afternoon signings were topped with our "chat" with Diane Disney Miller. Her family came over while we were with her and she included us in her conversations and then shared with us some grandchildren stories before we had to move on.

The Saturday night Orange Grove party was a wonderful production. We were entertained by a wonderful group of singers and dancers reminiscing about bygone rides and attractions. The highlight was four original mousketeers dancing and singing like they had done 50 years ago!

Of course the best part of the event was riding the monorail over to Disneyland at 5:30 in the morning and seeing all those people in the DCA campground! The event was a success. Martha and her group at WES did a magnificent job. As great as the event was, the people we met during the event were even greater. We have new friends in Sacramento, Tucson, the bay area, and right here in So Cal. Worth every dime!!!

PS. I could not believe the merchandise line on the 17th. It stretched from the festival arena past Big Thunder Mountain, along the rivers of America, to the exit of Splash Mountain, back up past the Haunted Mansion all the way to the Pirates of the Caribbean! I hope everyone got at least something they wanted.

• done

Celebrating 50 Years of Magical Memories event coverage - July 15 - 17, 2005

For anyone who's interested, I've posted our event coverage of Disneyland's Celebrating 50 Years of Magical Memories event celebrating its 50th birthday, which includes extensive and detailed coverage of event activities (registration, seminars, lunch, silent auction, Taste of Disneyland Resort, live auction, panel discussion, Orange Grove party, Magical Memories show, Breakfast at Dawn on the Mark Twain), "Finding Nemo" Submarine Voyage signage, Disneyland's 50th Birthday Ceremony and July 17 after-birthday trip report. Extensive photos and some video included.

Here's the link: http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlr/50thevent.html.

BTW, I've been told of one mistake in the report. I thought they had said only Walt's got the scroll, but someone on another board said everyone at breakfast got the scroll, so I'll try to remember to fix that part when I get home tonight.

• done

Quote Originally Posted by Disneynut
    Funny how you feel the need to jump into this thread without telling us if you are even attending this event. Are you?
    So given your multiple predictions of apocalypse for this event, I think it's weird that you've been strangely silent now that it's over. What did you think of the event? Was it as horrible as you expected it to be? Did you in fact waste $4,000 to have a rotten time? Or did you end up having a good time and realize that your expectations of "Black Sunday" were totally wrong?
    And as I recall, you signed up for the Disneyland Walk of Fame ceremony as well. How'd that go? I ended up meeting one person at the event who went to that, and he said he had a really good time. I've not heard anything from anyone else about it. What did you think of it?

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Trip report below, pictures to follow.
    Sorry it took me so long to post, I came home to no internet access! ARRRRR!!
    Anyways, I had an awesome time at the 50th event!! Walt Disney Event Services did an excellant job with just about everything that I was aware of. No complaints at all.
    Highlights
    (1)The merchandise was amazing. Top quality. The Disneyland marquee was not injection molded plastic as I has assumed, it was cast resin, very stout and very cool to look at. For $95 it was a bargain.
    The ornaments were very sharp. I got 2 sets. I had Christopher Radko sign one complete set including the 50th castle ornament which reads," Happy 50th, July 17, 2005, Christopher Radko", the 2nd set is unsigned except for the 50th castle ornament which says the same thing as the 1st one.
    I did not originally order a Disneyland map, as I was not that impressed with it in the brochure. As soon as I saw it, I changed my mind and rushed over to the event store to buy it, and am I glad I did!!

(2) I won the "shark fighting the octopus" from the Submarine Attraction, and after the auction I was in the winning bidders lounge and I was told by another event attendee that my auction lot included the "fighting lobsters" from the same attraction. MAJOR HIGHLIGHT!!

(3)I got to meet Harriet Burns and Blaine Gibson after the Panel Discussion on Saturday morning(July 16).

(4) Missed the "lunch in the garden" so I could attend a pre-scheduled 50th tour. The tour was fun. We got to "backdoor" several attractions including Splash Mountain which broke down after the splashdown. The upside was we got to take a picture with Brer Rabbit as we were being led out via backstage.

Because of the breakdown we had to hustle for our parade seating, but it was worth it. What an incredible parade. The tour is definitely worth it, and the gifts are cool too!
    (5) Back at the Disneyland Hotel I purchased a Monorail Game for one reason... to ask Bob Gurr one question. I went upstairs and the place was almost empty. I approached Mr. Gurr who was sitting down behind a table. I got down on one knee and said to him, " I bought this boardgame for one reason, I need to ask you a question." He's looking at me with great expectation, and I say," Are you going to write an autobiography?" To which he replied," I already have, theres only 2 chapters left to write." I was ecstatic. Bob Gurr has more information about Disneylands beginning then just about anybody left, so I was very excited to hear that he was writing an autobiography. He said it will probably be released in fall 2006.
    (6) Later that evening, the Orange Grove Party was amazing. We sat near the stage and I got lots of great video and pics from the awesome stage show that Disney put on.
    (7) After the Orange Grove Party was over we went to the Disney Gallery to watch Fantasmic! from the balcony with the dessert buffet. Yummy desserts and the seeing the show from that vantage point is incredible.
    (8) The breakfast in New Orleans Square(July 17) was great. No filet mignon, but still a very respectable breakfast. Just being in the Park at 6am with no one else around was very cool.
    (9) Scored more swag at the festival arena, more than I need!!
    (10) I saw Jay Rasulo (President of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts) walking thru Fantasyland after the 10am rededication ceremony and introduced myself. I thanked him for all of the work that was done getting Disneyland ready for the 50th. I think he was suprised that someone recognized him. I guess that makes me a Disney geek. Oh well, I wanted him to know that someone cared...
    (11) Ate lots of cupcakes and had a great time.

All in all, my wife and I had a wonderful, magical time for Disneylands 50th. Thanks to everyone at Walt Disney Event Services for putting on such a great event. The event surpassed my wildest expectations, and the extra things that we did like the 50th tour and Fantasmic! were just icing on the (cup)cake.

P.S. Who was it that came up to me at the Festival Arena on Sunday morning and asked me if I got my jacket??
    Last edited by Circarama; 07-23-2005 at 06:52 AM.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Minion

Excellent report, Charlie! Glad you had a great time.

• Minion

It was GREAT! The seminars we attended were great for the most part. Kevin Rafferty was so much fun to listen to, as was Joe Rohde. I must say though, the Hidden Tributes was boring. The Tastes of the Resort was so much fun, and the Orange Grove party was FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!

For those who may have seen me and my kids, I was the one there with a dog!!! (Everyone remembers the dog, no one usually remembers me!)
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Hiding from the Sheeple

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens
    So given your multiple predictions of apocalypse for this event, I think it's weird that you've been strangely silent now that it's over. What did you think of the event? Was it as horrible as you expected it to be? Did you in fact waste $4,000 to have a rotten time? Or did you end up having a good time and realize that your expectations of "Black Sunday" were totally wrong?
    And as I recall, you signed up for the Disneyland Walk of Fame ceremony as well. How'd that go? I ended up meeting one person at the event who went to that, and he said he had a really good time. I've not heard anything from anyone else about it. What did you think of it?
    Thanks for checking in with me! I have been silent for a reason. With so many changes to the event, my wife began to feel uneasy about attending. My wife spoke to Martha directly, she says Martha was very polite and tried to answer her questions as best as she could. Martha, for good reason, was hesitant to tell us what the Disney Legends Ceremony was being replaced with and was vague on all other questions. In the end, my wife felt too uncertain about the event as a whole to attend. We asked for a full refund and received it without argument or fuss. As we did not attend, I felt that I should not give opinions unless they were solicited.

After reviewing several trip reports (including yours), it looks like everyone had a great time. As long as those who attended feel they received proper value for their money, I would consider the event a success.

I do feel that my wife and I made the correct decision for several reasons. I was shocked to learn that the meal for the Walt's Dream packages was held on the dock and not the ship. Martha told both my friend Kevin and my wife that the boat would be moving and that the breakfast would be "on the Mark Twain". As with the "exclusive dinner" for the Tower of Terror event, I would have expected linen tablecloths and waiter service, not a buffet. A "fastpass" for Space Mountain and "brown bag" lunch was not what we would have hoped to receive at such a hyped event. Reserved seating for the dedication ceremony seems like a weak substitute for the Disney Legends Induction Ceremony. Having attended a number of previous events, I was not all that impressed with the commemorative gifts for this event (granted they are gifts and are always a surprise). Obviously this was the correct decision for us. It is also obvious to us that many people enjoyed their time at this event and felt good about what they received.

My friends who attended at lower levels had a great time and thought it was a great event. My friends who attended at the Walt level thought it was not worth the money they paid and will not be returning for future events. The overall event seems like a good value for those who paid $750.00 but I fail to see the extra value in the more expensive packages.

Again, I was not there so simply an opinion from an outsider. I just spent a week on the Disney Cruise Line in the "Roy Disney Suite" and had an entire week of Disney fun, in their best suite, for less than what my wife and I would have spent on the three (3) day 50th event. I was shocked to see that all of the cast members on the cruise (all from foreign countries) had what I consider to be true Disney spirit and made my week worry free and loads of fun. For my money, I will abandon the special events and book more cruises...

Glad to hear you had a fun time!
    Last edited by Disneynut; 07-24-2005 at 06:19 PM.

Funny,

My wife and I talked to several of the Event Staff about people asking for refunds. They in fact told us that nobody took them up on the refunds, even after the staff, including Martha "begged" them to.

And yes, I will take their word over anyone elses.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

I met a couple at the event that had been on the "Walts Dream" waiting list, and they said they were contacted about by WDES 10 days before the event and were told of a cancellation which they gladly purchased. They were ecstatic that they were given the opportunity to participate.
    I just remembered this and had to ad it: The people who bought the Walts package were the same people that won the Swarovski Mickey Ears on Friday night. They were quite excited when I saw them in the winning bidders lounge!
    Last edited by Circarama; 07-24-2005 at 05:09 PM. Reason: add info
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast