Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Hiding from the Sheeple

50th Merchandise Event - The Final Straw

Well, it is now official, those who are attending at the Walt's Dream level will not be participating in the 2005 Disney Legends Induction Ceremony. I find it odd that after WDES advertised this portion of the event, sold it, and even listed it on our confirmation emails that NOBODY had the courtesy to call or email us and tell us it was now gone from the package. Of course, you can have a similar experience (Hollywood Walk of Fame Ceremony) for an additional $105.00 per person.

I asked if they would replace it with anything and WDES elected not to address or answer that portion of my email. I asked again today and still no response. I know for a fact that at least twenty people called Martha Blanding, Event Services Manager and complained regarding the seminar RSP debacle. She promises change, but it never comes.

This is getting out of hand. I signed my name to the open letter (petition) at saveourevent.com and will decide after it is turned in if Disney really intends to make change or if this more lip service.

• done

Quote Originally Posted by Disneynut
    Well, it is now official, those who are attending at the Walt's Dream level will not be participating in the 2005 Disney Legends Induction Ceremony. I find it odd that after WDES advertised this portion of the event, sold it, and even listed it on our confirmation emails that NOBODY had the courtesy to call or email us and tell us it was now gone from the package.
    Ummmm, that the Disney Legends ceremony is no longer part of the Walt's package has been known for some time now, even before they offered a refund. As I recall, you yourself acknowledged knowing that the ceremony had been taken off the listing, this before the refunds were offered. Why are you making such a fuss about it now, even creating a whole new thread on it when there are two (I believe) other threads about the event itself? I understand that you're upset about the changes, but these kinds of tactics sure make it seem like you have a personal vendetta.

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens
    Ummmm, that the Disney Legends ceremony is no longer part of the Walt's package has been known for some time now, even before they offered a refund. As I recall, you yourself acknowledged knowing that the ceremony had been taken off the listing, this before the refunds were offered. Why are you making such a fuss about it now, even creating a whole new thread on it when there are two (I believe) other threads about the event itself? I understand that you're upset about the changes, but these kinds of tactics sure make it seem like you have a personal vendetta.
    It has been rumored that the ceremony was cancelled and remained unconfirmed (my previous post clearly labeled it as undisclosed) while the post above indicates that they have finally admitted it in writing.

As Martha Blanding, Manager of Merchandise Event Services, has refused to admit until now that this was cancelled, it is important for others at the Walt Level to know that their experience at this event is changing even further. Are you signed up at the Walt Level? Does this cancellation change your event?
    Last edited by Disneynut; 06-17-2005 at 03:28 AM.

• Merry 2014!

i did not sign up for it.. but the legends ceremony was the thing that made it attractive in the first place.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasmico!
    i did not sign up for it.. but the legends ceremony was the thing that made it attractive in the first place.
    This was attractive to a large number due to the fact that the Disney Studios is not open to the public. It is a shame that guests will not have the chance to experience this ceremony first hand.

• Lord of the Ribs

I love lamb. Especially grilled.

Eat meat. Your daddy sez it's good for ya.

It would be nice to have facts not assumptions ....

Yes, the Legends Ceremony was in the Walt Package originally, and then removed. I don't know all the facts behind this and havent heard anyone here share them, perhaps I missed it? However, my understanding was, from someone associated with the Legends event rather than the 50th merchandise event, it was in the package for the event because, at the time, the company (not the Park) had scheduled it at DISNEYLAND not at the studio for the first time ever, to tie in with the 50th. So, it would not have included a trip to the studio - if the one time relocation was in fact planned for Disneyland, the Walt attendees would have just walked over to the Park.

If you think about it, since Legends involves the names in the cement at the Studio, and since it is very very hot in July at Disneyland (especially for older folks being honored), if in fact it was planned for the Park it is easy to see why it had to be cancelled, by the Company not the Park, and moved back to its traditional fall date rather than the summer.

I readily admit (which would be a refreshing standard here) that I dont know all the facts. However, the story about the change from the Park back to the studio sounded credible to me. Rather than I, or others, continuing to make assumptions about "the real story" I suggest that just maybe there was no incompetence on anyones part, but rather a change in scheduling beyond the ability of the 50th merchandise event planners to influence. And anyone who knows me would never confuse me with Pollyanna, but I do try to be rational.

I do understand however the sense that with its cancellation or rescheduling that ideally something similarly exclusive would have been offered. I can think of one option that would have pleased all Walt attendees. Perhaps we will be surprised with something that we are not being told about today - perhaps not. Personally I dont want to know everything in advance. And, I dont believe in trying to change someone else's mind about whether they should or shouldnt be happy with this event, but I do believe it is important to develop a perspective based on facts, and we have only a few of those mixed with assumptions right now.

Maybe someone out there with knowledge of the studio plans for "Legends" can comment with some facts on when it is being held? I am pretty sure it isnt July 2005. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCEsq
    Yes, the Legends Ceremony was in the Walt Package originally, and then removed. I don't know all the facts behind this and havent heard anyone here share them, perhaps I missed it? However, my understanding was, from someone associated with the Legends event rather than the 50th merchandise event, it was in the package for the event because, at the time, the company (not the Park) had scheduled it at DISNEYLAND not at the studio for the first time ever, to tie in with the 50th. So, it would not have included a trip to the studio - if the one time relocation was in fact planned for Disneyland, the Walt attendees would have just walked over to the Park.

If you think about it, since Legends involves the names in the cement at the Studio, and since it is very very hot in July at Disneyland (especially for older folks being honored), if in fact it was planned for the Park it is easy to see why it had to be cancelled, by the Company not the Park, and moved back to its traditional fall date rather than the summer.

I readily admit (which would be a refreshing standard here) that I dont know all the facts. However, the story about the change from the Park back to the studio sounded credible to me. Rather than I, or others, continuing to make assumptions about "the real story" I suggest that just maybe there was no incompetence on anyones part, but rather a change in scheduling beyond the ability of the 50th merchandise event planners to influence. And anyone who knows me would never confuse me with Pollyanna, but I do try to be rational.

I do understand however the sense that with its cancellation or rescheduling that ideally something similarly exclusive would have been offered. I can think of one option that would have pleased all Walt attendees. Perhaps we will be surprised with something that we are not being told about today - perhaps not. Personally I dont want to know everything in advance. And, I dont believe in trying to change someone else's mind about whether they should or shouldnt be happy with this event, but I do believe it is important to develop a perspective based on facts, and we have only a few of those mixed with assumptions right now.

Maybe someone out there with knowledge of the studio plans for "Legends" can comment with some facts on when it is being held? I am pretty sure it isnt July 2005. Thanks!
    Thanks for the above information, I appreciate your sharing it with us and I fully agree that we should base our feelings on fact and not pure emotion. You and I are in full agreement regarding the cancellation of the event. I do not believe that it was cancelled by Merchandise Event Services, but was cancelled by those at corporate. My wife and I have been to the event at the Disney Studios and it can get very warm in the plaza during this time of year.

It troubles me that this portion of the event seems to have been cancelled well in advance of the April 22, 2005 on sale date of our package. If this is true (this information comes directly from communication with WDES), WDES failed to remove it from both the website and our event confirmations leading most to believe it was still included in their package. Doing some research on the web, Martha Blanding, event manager, was quoted (does not make it 100% factual) that she was well aware of the cancellation PRIOR to the event going on sale and said she was going to find some kind of experience to replace it.

My written communication with Merchandise Event Services and WDES this week indicates that the event remains cancelled from our package:

Quote Originally Posted by WDES
    the event you are referring to has been postponed until October so it will no longer be a part of the itinerary for the 50th event.
    And that no replacement is forthcoming:

Quote Originally Posted by WDES
    We have not heard anything about a replacement for this event
    After receiving these two emails, I contacted the event staff via phone and was told that the schedule was full and that no replacement would be offered. I agree, I love surprises and I would have no problems with something to make up for this portion of our package. I am merely going off of the statements made by WDES and Merchandise Event Services that a "surprise" is NOT in the works for us.

Elements of all event packages will experience some sort of change. That I can live with. If the facts are as they appear, I think it was very poor planning on behalf of those at Disney to advertise the Legends Ceremony experience when they knew at the time that this experience would not be included. As it did seem to be a major element of the Walt's Dream package, I hope that Disney will see the mistake and offer something to make up for it.

I have several ideas of what I would like to see replace it (maybe a quick group tour through Walt's Apartment). What would everyone else like to see?

• JMUBOY - 30 Yrs Of Magic!

This whole DL 50th Event debacle has gotten a large write up in today's Mouseplanet.com Disneyland Weekly update.

Check it out here if you'd like:
    http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdat.../dlr050620.htm
    WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.

• Banned User

50th. merchandising event is a joke. Its so obvious there just trying to scam people that love Disneyland.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626
    50th. merchandising event is a joke. Its so obvious there just trying to scam people that love Disneyland.
    Sure seems that way...
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• done

I noticed that they've included info about how many people are included for each of the experience packets, like behind the scenes of Fantasmic and the parade, so you know exactly what you'll be paying for. I noticed the other day that the Walt's Apartment experience is for the bidder and 12 guests. I hadn't expected it to be for that many people. Even though only the bidder gets the commemorative keepsake, I would imagine many people would be willing to chip in to jointly purchase that experience just to be able to visit the apartment. With potentially 13 people pooling their resources, I can't imagine what that's going to be sold for.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens
    I noticed that they've included info about how many people are included for each of the experience packets, like behind the scenes of Fantasmic and the parade, so you know exactly what you'll be paying for. I noticed the other day that the Walt's Apartment experience is for the bidder and 12 guests. I hadn't expected it to be for that many people. Even though only the bidder gets the commemorative keepsake, I would imagine many people would be willing to chip in to jointly purchase that experience just to be able to visit the apartment. With potentially 13 people pooling their resources, I can't imagine what that's going to be sold for.
    I saw that too. I agree that some people will probably chip in together for some of the experiences, then others with extremely deep pockets will just bid on their own against a group. It will be very interesting to see what happens at the auction on Friday night. Should get pretty exciting.
    Oh well, I'll be in the back rooting 'em all on, higher, higher, higher...
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries
    Do Something, Buy Something Because YOU ENJOY IT. It is Worth ,to you, what you pay!

Do ot buy something or attend something because it is 'Limited' and you think it will be Worth something on E-bay someday.

Disney will NEVER turn down your money, and remember, they are Master Marketers and salespeople. They have been at this for a long time now...
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama
    It will be very interesting to see what happens at the auction on Friday night. Should get pretty exciting.
    Oh well, I'll be in the back rooting 'em all on, higher, higher, higher...
    I take it you're the trouble-maker in the group? :devil:
    Cliff
    WDW '72, '97, '00, '02, '03 '06 '07, '08 DL '98, '05, '10 DLP '00 DCL '09

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast