• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Talking It's Your Friend's 1st Time In Disneyland, What Do You Do 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc!

There's a chance me and a friend will be going to Disneyland in December. This will be his first time, absolute 1st time. Never been. He's late 20's if you're wondering.

But since I've only been to Disneyland once... I'm kinda worried how exactly to give him a GREAT time by showing him the top aspects of the park that should get him excited for an entire day at the parks.

Another thing, he's not big on theme parks but I'm hoping a trip to Disneyland will turn him into a fantastic direction of becoming an avid theme park lover like myself.

So help me help him enjoy Disneyland for his 1st time.

Treat him as if he was your anti theme park lover friend, where would you take him first, what would you do with him inside the park, how would you handle taking a friend's first time trip inside Disneyland, etc.

Help.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: It's Your Friend's 1st Time In Disneyland, What Do You Do 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc

Oooh this sounds fun. I think if you wanted to do it proper justice, you're gonna need at least 2 days. 1 and a half for Disneyland... and the other half day for CAdventure. And even THAT is rushing it during the busy month of December.

And if you want to do this right, you better take him on a school day. Do monday and tuesday, go right at opening to avoid the most crowds.

A busy weekend could really ruin a day for some people. People like me still hate it even though we're used to it.

As for what to do 1st, 2nd, 3rd... I don't think that matters. Well... maybe do Peter Pan and Dumbo first. Then do everything that you think he SHOULD see... for fun reasons or for good historical context. Maybe he should see the 50th anniversary movie at Main Street Opera House after he's gone on a few rides?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Re: It's Your Friend's 1st Time In Disneyland, What Do You Do 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc

Oh I forgot to mention that he, my friend, will/could be there for 4 days. I'm just curious as to what to do with him the first time we walk in together... and what he should see first since we'll have 4 days to "play".
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

I love the dark rides, but fear that to a brand newbie, some of them might seem cheesy. Maybe ya gotta get them in the spirit first.

Pirates is my first every time I can manage it, followed by Haunted Mansion. Those two are great starts--the theming is some of the best.

Those would be my first two!

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

Honestly I'm a big fan of winging it. it can be too overwhelming when you try to plot everything out.
    I mean, you have to start by walking down main street obviously but I would say head to the left and hit up Star Tours and Space or head to the right and hit Indy then pirates and Mansion.
    It all depends on which kind of rides said friend likes
    I always like going on something thrilling in the morning to wake me up (like Indy or Space).

Talking Re: It's Your Friend's 1st Time In Disneyland, What Do You Do 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc

Here's what I did with my friends the first time they went to Disneyland.
    It's all about keeping the day mixed up in my opinion. However with a guy in his 20's hold off on the Fantasyland stuff till the inner child comes out. =)

1. Pirates of the Caribbean (It's THE Disney Attraction with ton's of detail to take in first thing in the morning.)

2. Indiana Jones Adventure - Time to WAKE UP!!(And marvel at the detail)

3. Haunted Mansion Holiday - Bring things down a notch but the fun music and Holiday setting should fill you with glee!

4. Splash Mountain - Time to head over to the Laughing Place! Great music, sets, and thrills.

5. Early Lunch at the Blue Bayou - A great place to have lunch and discuss the history of the park and some information on the attractions you've ridden.

6. Billy Hill Show - Head over to Frontierland and catch a Billy Hill show.
    Really funny show and those guys are talented beyond belief.

7. Roger Rabbit - It's a great chance to take a scenic stroll from Frontierland to the back side of the park. Even though Fantasyland is for the kids one can't help but to marvel how charming it is. Grab a churro and make your way into toontown for an attraction that's sure to bring back some childhood memories. (And slowly get's your friend ready for Fantasyland)

8. Nemo Subs - IM sure this will be a hit! This seems like a nice time to fit it in the schedule. It will be sunny and the lagoon will look beautiful. After that it's off to...

9. Buzz Lightyear - Time to put those video game skills to use! This is yet again something different that you've done all day so it's sure to give your friend a good impression that Disneyland has many different attractions unlike a Six Flags.

10. Star Tours - Sure it's dated but every guy has a soft spot for Star Wars.

11. Space Mountain - Nothing to Say...it's just awesome and it comes at the time right when things need to pick up again.

12. Christmas Fantasy - Make your way over to the small world area and catch a Christmas Fantasy dusk performance. This can get anyone in the Christmas spirit! After make a quick leap to...

13. Small World Holiday - This is great to do right after the parade and it's more fun than the original version of the attraction.

14. Matterhorn - It should be dark now and it's a perfect time to scale the Matterhorn. DO THE LEFT SIDE FIRST!

13. New Orleans Square - Head over to check out the christmas decoractions and have a bowl of Gumbo while you wait to see...

14. Fantasmic - Must see. Enough said.

15. Disneyland Railroad - Take the train to Main Street..check out the stores, have some fudge while you wait for...

16. Believe in Holiday Magic Fireworks - No trip to Disneyland would be complete without the Fireworks!

After this things should die down in Fantasyland which is a great time to check out the kiddie rides...by now you should be a little tired and that's great because you get all silly! (or atleast I do..)

17. Alice in Wonderland - This is a great darkride. Should be fun for you two.

18. Teacups - Only if your brave but it's alot of fun in the crisp winter air.

19. Pinnocho - Another great dark ride.

20. Try one of the Big rides again--Indy, Space, Thunder.

21. Be the last to leave!! Or try...Disneyland is truly magical late at night as all the guests leave. Check out the snow white grotto as your leaving.

I hope this helps! This works great for me!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • PEZZ in the Fez

First thing: Go to City Hall and pick up a "1st Time Visitor" button. Maybe two.

Force your friend to wear it (them) prominently at all times.

That should fill your friend with so much pride that he will convert to theme park fanaticism immediately.
    How much do we have to pay to get MiceChat Old?

• Disabled Guest Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    Oh I forgot to mention that he, my friend, will/could be there for 4 days. I'm just curious as to what to do with him the first time we walk in together... and what he should see first since we'll have 4 days to "play".

OK, do you have park hopper tickets or AP? If so you NEED to take advantage of Early Entry at DL one day. Ask the guest relations office or a ticket taker CM and they will tell you what day you can do it. That day is the day I would do all (well actually at least Peter Pan and Dumbo) of the Fantasyland rides before the lines and then head over to TL and get the Subs and Space Mountain in before the gates open to the rest of the guests. It may be better (if they are open for EE) to hit the Subs first then Fantasy Land and then head back over for Space Mountain and Autopia, those will have long lines later in the day. Usually those are the two lands that are open during EE so thats why I said them as well.

HAVE FUN!!!!!!! Don't over schedule the rest of the trip, it wont be as much fun. You could just get there every morning bright and early and then head one direction and then work your way around.

I have had the pleasure of taking several people for their first trip to Disneyland. First thing, get the space mountain fast pass. Then we usually watch HISTA since there is no line. Everyone I have taken loves HISTA, but I like them to see it before they see the other 3d showings because it is the most dated (cg snake). We then take the train from tomorrowland to New Orleans Square. I like to get people use to the idea of using the transportation around the park. Then POTC and HM, and wait around for the Indy fast pass. Then back over to SM and Star Tours.

After that, it is just about enjoying the park based on their interests. Because we are driving in from Vegas we always get there the first day around noon. If we got there at opening we would hit Peter Pan first and then everything else I already listed.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Well. Since you have 4 days to make an impression, my suggestion is to let your friend choose what sounds cool to him and follow his lead.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Starwisher

I'd spend some time absorbing atmosphere in the various lands on the first day between rides. And definitely do the Tiki Room and the Jungle Cruise, both at night.

Pirates and Haunted Mansion are both great to start with, but remember that the Mansion will be in Holiday mode, as will IASW. Ride the train. Go to Toon Town and see the characters and goof around with the sight gags there (to the left of Roger Rabbit).

Obviously the mountains. Gotta do the mountains.

And try to catch some of the fun shows, like the Sword in the Stone ceremony, the Jedi Training Academy, and the Billy Hill and the Hillbillies. You get a lot of atmosphere (and rest) for no money.

Have a great time!
    Don't make me come in there!

• Golden State of Mind

you can forget CA. but what ever you dont get on the train at main st.
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl View Post
    Well. Since you have 4 days to make an impression, my suggestion is to let your friend choose what sounds cool to him and follow his lead.

I think that's the best way. If he's gung-ho about rollercoasters, make sure you hit one up first thing. If he's a Star Wars fan... do star tours. Just wing it.

But here's a heavy suggestion for ya... you have 4 days so you have the opportunity for total control and the freedom not to rush things. So here's a suggestion: WAIT UNTIL NIGHT TIME TO DO BOTH HAUNTED MANSION AND PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN.

I dunno... I always thought that would be a cool way to see either of those for the first time. But don't do pirates unless you're both totally awake!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• DL Fanatic

Sequoia National Park, CA (trying to get to Orange County)

The very first thing I put them on is the Railroad. They'll see the whole park.
    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

• Golden State of Mind

^^^hahaha FUNNY
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever