Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 years Today!

• Banned User

Re: 2 years Today!

Oh I remeber that day! I ditched school and me mom took me to the doctor first so I could get excused, so I made it like at 2! I was a total geek(but not an MCer), I changed the shoelaces of my shoes to blue and gold! And I bought soo much stuff! But it was crowded as hell and I missed the event stuff.

Jojo

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

I was! The 4th and 5th, thanks to some generosity of friends.
    It was like a lifetime ago, though, so many things have changed!

It woulda been my first MC meet, too, but I totally forgot!
    It was a great 2 days, I still remember being the first ones to see the Parade of Dreams (blew me away) and the fireworks! Wow.. I get shivers thinking about it!!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    Even after 2 years, Guests still do it today.
    Sure they do, but its nothing like it was on 5/5/05 - nobody had seen the show, nobody knew what to really expect, and everybody was absolutely and utterly amazed and blown away. And the vast majority of the crowd was bigtime Disney geeks, not your average, run-of-the-mill park guest. It was incredible.

I've never been so giddy in all my life.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Banned User

Wasn't there and incredibly glad. I read about what the crowds were like that day and it sounds like hell for me.

I will take a weekday in January over the 50th, the 4th, or New Year's anyday.

• Prefect

Blog Entries

I was there that day & 5/5/04, too. That was such a cool day! It was the first day I ever spent at the park by myself, too. I have great memories of the 50th kickoff.
    <o>

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    Even after 2 years, Guests still do it today.
    Not nearly as much for a number of reasons.

1. May 5th 05 was filled with Disney fans.
    2. The park was filled to capacity.
    3. The fireworks were were flawless including the use of projectors. Ever since that night something had always misfired or been wrong.
    4. The start of the 50th anniversary celebration was on May 5th and everyone was overly excited.
    5. Everything at Disneyland had been restored. This made it especially emotional because the castle looked brand new again.
    6. I cried that night for the first time ever at DL and I am not an emotional guy at all, sure I wasn't alone. It was by far the happiest moment of my life.

Here is a video that shows how wild they were that night:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=0EsdLOdoXJk

Just to let you know where I was standing was even wilder than this video.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 05-05-2007 at 05:22 PM.

• Banned User

On some days, especially recent Sundays and even moreso in February and March, people did not clap at all during the show. The only time people applauded was at the end. I loved it. You get to watch the fireworks and actually have some dead space around you and there's less of a chance that someone will put their stupid kid up on their shoulders and less groups with like 20 balloons for some reason.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    On some days, especially recent Sundays and even moreso in February and March, people did not clap at all during the show. The only time people applauded was at the end. I loved it. You get to watch the fireworks and actually have some dead space around you and there's less of a chance that someone will put their stupid kid up on their shoulders and less groups with like 20 balloons for some reason.
    I disagree about it being better without the people applauding and screaming. You had to be there to understand the emotional impact it had. After May 5th I never got to experience that ever again.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    I disagree about it being better without the people applauding and screaming. You had to be there to understand the emotional impact it had.
    Not for me. I'm glad you had a good time, but I want to be as far away from Disney geeks and crowds as I can when I go to Disneyland.

I'm a person who reacts internally to things, not externally. I don't scream on rides, I don't cry, and I don't go oooh and aaah at fireworks. I sit there quietly. I don't get mad at other people who do it but it's just my style and what I prefer.

• Grumpy old man

Quote Originally Posted by Elle View Post
    That was my senior ditch day.
    I wish I could have spent it there, but there was this terrible thing called a Senior Project that had to be done.
    It was mine too, I was one of the few who skipped (other chickened out). I just spent it at home sleeping in, wish I could've gone to the big festivities at DL instead.

• Lowering Expectations

I was there! I remember the ceremony that morning. My brother and I were pretty lucky to get as close as we did, but we still didn't see much over all the heads (and umbrellas). I remember Art Linkletter was there, I remember the booing and the "We want Roy!" chants Eisner got, I remember the huge applause for Julie Andrews.

It was a dreary sort of day that threatened rain, but it never came down more than a light drizzle. There were hundreds of canvas tents set up all around the central hub, and filming was taking place constantly, with Disney characters, news reporters, and other groups of people.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    ...its nothing like it was on 5/5/05 - nobody had seen the show, nobody knew what to really expect, and everybody was absolutely and utterly amazed and blown away. And the vast majority of the crowd was bigtime Disney geeks, not your average, run-of-the-mill park guest. It was incredible.

I've never been so giddy in all my life.
    Me neither, Andy, me neither.

R...DCT night stands out in my memory as being one of the best ever spent at Disneyland. I remember another huge applause from the crowd at the introduction, "This is Julie Andrews." There were just certain moments I love to recall ever since, that somehow never have the same effect, on multiple viewings, as they did that night - some of them simple, like seeing the castle covered in stars and sripes, and some jaw dropping, like looking around as suddenly the whole central hub became the stretch room, and the cannon battle between the Matterhorn and the castle. As soon as we heard "Remain seated please" everyone chanted along, "permanecer sentados por favor" and burst out in laughter. There were several moments where everyone simply shouted loudly, roaring at delight at the flames and pinwheels. But nothing can compare with that moment when Tinkerbell took to the sky. For me, it was the million-dollar moment. I get the question a lot, "Why do you like Disneyland so much." If I could get them to feel the way I did then...that would be my answer.

There are just certain things that can't be relived. And yet I find myself staking out a spot near the time capsule buried in front of the castle, hoping I feel some of the same things I felt on that evening.

Looking back, I bet I have glorified my memory of that day. I bet it wasn't actually as spectacular as I remember it as being. But that's the way I remember it.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    I was there! I remember the ceremony that morning. My brother and I were pretty lucky to get as close as we did, but we still didn't see much over all the heads (and umbrellas). I remember Art Linkletter was there, I remember the booing and the "We want Roy!" chants Eisner got, I remember the huge applause for Julie Andrews.

It was a dreary sort of day that threatened rain, but it never came down more than a light drizzle. There were hundreds of canvas tents set up all around the central hub, and filming was taking place constantly, with Disney characters, news reporters, and other groups of people.

Me neither, Andy, me neither.

R...DCT night stands out in my memory as being one of the best ever spent at Disneyland. I remember another huge applause from the crowd at the introduction, "This is Julie Andrews." There were just certain moments I love to recall ever since, that somehow never have the same effect, on multiple viewings, as they did that night - some of them simple, like seeing the castle covered in stars and sripes, and some jaw dropping, like looking around as suddenly the whole central hub became the stretch room, and the cannon battle between the Matterhorn and the castle. As soon as we heard "Remain seated please" everyone chanted along, "permanecer sentados por favor" and burst out in laughter. There were several moments where everyone simply shouted loudly, roaring at delight at the flames and pinwheels. But nothing can compare with that moment when Tinkerbell took to the sky. For me, it was the million-dollar moment. I get the question a lot, "Why do you like Disneyland so much." If I could get them to feel the way I did then...that would be my answer.

There are just certain things that can't be relived. And yet I find myself staking out a spot near the time capsule buried in front of the castle, hoping I feel some of the same things I felt on that evening.

Looking back, I bet I have glorified my memory of that day. I bet it wasn't actually as spectacular as I remember it as being. But that's the way I remember it.

You must spread some reputation around before giving it to 2DieFR again.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Koubu Pilot

Ahhh. 2005. To be 24 again. I remember my Japanese class had let out at 10pm and as soon as I got home and got online to check out everything, I read up on what people had to say. I wish I were there. I remember reading about how everyone "waited in line" at DCA. There was a joke someone made that the most people ever in DCA were all waiting so they could enter Disneyland. I remember reading about the excitement everyone felt and to walk down Main St with CMs on the sides welcoming everyone home. And then there were a lotof people snapping up limited, 50th, and vintage/retro merchandise and how the resort virtually ran out of gold mouse ears that weekend. It was either that night or the next when I finally saw the debut of RDCT fireworks show. What a great show! You could hear the crowd going nuts over every single detail in the show. I had to move the bar back to see Tinkerbell's new flight. Even when I see her fly in person, I'm still amazed.

• Sock Puppet

i wasn't their, but i watched it on TV so i was their in spirit.

• HollywoodsNewestSensation

Cool Eisner.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    I remember Art Linkletter was there, I remember the booing and the "We want Roy!" chants Eisner got, I remember the huge applause for Julie Andrews.
    Yes!!! Wasn't the booing spectacular?

The man did a lot of great things for Disney during the earlier years of his tenure, yes... but good riddance!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast