Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Can see my car from here

New "E" ticket in Disneyland?

Two of Disneyland's "E" ticket ridesóPirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansionówere so original, and so well done that they have stood the test of time and are just as enjoyable today as they were many years ago.

When, if ever, will we see another "E" ticket original concept that has the potential to become a "classic", like those two have become? An "E" ticket with a great original concept and story, high guest capacity, catchy songs, no height restrictions, and not based on a hit movie.

There are many, many great ideas that have been made into movies, and would make great rides. The Harry Potter franchise for example. And as much as I am looking forward to the Finding Nemo subs, the refurb is based on a movie. Again, I'm not saying this is bad in any way.

But in today's business climate, is Disney willing to take a chance to build a major "E" ticket based on an original concept that has no box office history of success? Perhaps the lure of good movie=good ride is too overwhelming. After all, if your movie is popular, you have a built-in audience ready to ride, and ready to buy all the merchandise tie-ins.

Do you think Disney will ever create another Original "E" ticket blockbuster attraction in the class of Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion?
    Far from the frenzy of the frantic world above.

Re: New "E" ticket in Disneyland?

I think it will happen, but there are so many things that TDA and TDB are distracted by for now, including "The DCA Problem," Tomorrowland, and the Saga of Anaheim.
    They'll need to address these before the corporate atmosphere is ripe for risk again. Some of this might come with DCA solutions, and some might come with Tomorrowland, but let them figure those things out before hoping to see anything of Mansion and Pirate quality.

• Lincoln and Julie!!!

I, for one, dont thinkan original new E-ticket will be built or quite some time at DL. They are very big on the movie tie-ins because it's like double business for them...promote the movie at the same time. But I don't think it won't ever happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    I think it will happen, but there are so many things that TDA and TDB are distracted by for now, including "The DCA Problem," Tomorrowland, and the Saga of Anaheim.
    They'll need to address these before the corporate atmosphere is ripe for risk again. Some of this might come with DCA solutions, and some might come with Tomorrowland, but let them figure those things out before hoping to see anything of Mansion and Pirate quality.
    Very well said. I just think that there are too many other things that need to be addressed in the coming years for there to be enough money left to build another E ticket ride. I am optimistic that there will be another original concept designed. Just how far down the road is another story.

• Really!?

The last E ticket ride i can think of, that was built in anaheim.... that wasn't based off of a movie
    Tower of Terror?
    But that wasn't even a disneyland original

what was the last original concept E ticket ride built before ToT?
    This chamber has no windows and no doors!!!! ....better take the stairs.

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by KonLuvsDL View Post
    what was the last original concept E ticket ride built before ToT?
    Maybe Soarin over California or Grizzly River Run.

• Starwisher

I'd consider Soarin' to be an e-ticket built in Anaheim, not based on a movie, and totally original. At WDW there's Expedition Everest, which is DEFINITELY an e-ticket and not based on a movie.

BTW, Indy is based on a movie, but it's still going to stand the test of time and remain a classic.

As far as the future of Disneyland, where, besides the motorboat lagoon, is there space for a new e-ticket? And how would you theme it?

I think I'd put some kind of magic/sorcery/fantasy/dragon type e-ticket in the motorboat lagoon, along the lines of Everest, which is totally cool and is a really innovative ride. Or maybe Disney villians, which would be a good fit in Fantasyland.

The trick would be getting to it through the massive stroller parking lot that Fantasyland has become.
    Don't make me come in there!

• Really!?

i was thinking of the other DCA rides... but most of them are pretty much based off of other generic concepts (Grizzly, Screamin, maliboomer)
    Soarin would probably be the next one on the list
    i don't think there has been any other rides quite like that one

now let's go back further in time
    cross over to disneyland

Last original E ticket concept before Soarin?

Quote Originally Posted by MotherPenguin View Post
    As far as the future of Disneyland, where, besides the motorboat lagoon, is there space for a new e-ticket? And how would you theme it?
    Festival Arena, Starcade, some space in Critter Country if arranged correctly, and Toontown and Fantasyland Theatre can easily become attractions if their lack of support continues. Then imagineers can also become creative with linked dead spots like Aladdin's Oasis and the Plaza Gardens( or whatever the name of that closed Main Street restaraunt is). If they ever decided to move or end the run of the Tiki room, that corner of Adventureland would definately be room enough for some sort of attraction. Maybe even a Tiki Room darkride where guests explore the enchanted paradise.

BTW, I'm not advocating any Tiki Room change, just shooting random ideas out there.

• Comin' at ya!

I consider Indy an E tickey attraction, maybe I'm alone in this however.
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

• Really!?

of course Indy is an E ticket ride, but it's based off of a movie. theres nothing wrong with this but the point of the discussion is whether or not disney will ever have an E ticket ride with an ORIGINAL concept.

• Banned User

I was never against attractions based on movies if they are good. But leave most of the work to Universal. I love original concepts and we haven't seen one in Disneyland for a long time.

• Koubu Pilot

It's really a shame that Western River Expedition was never built @ WDW in the '70s. The success of Pirates caused the public to demand an east coast version of Pirates, even though WRE would have been on the scale as (if not larger than) Pirates.

It would be nice if WRE were worked into Anaheim. It might make some of the WDW faithful feel remorse over what was done in the '70s, but Anaheim could get a large scale E Ticket that's original. It could be the old west/Gold Rush tribute for California. Resurrecting the style of Marc Davis would just be icing on the cake.

• Disgruntled Former CM

Cool Re: New "E" ticket in Disneyland?

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Mikerscope View Post
    Two of Disneyland's "E" ticket ridesóPirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansionówere so original, and so well done that they have stood the test of time and are just as enjoyable today as they were many years ago.

Do you think Disney will ever create another Original "E" ticket blockbuster attraction in the class of Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion?
    Sadly, the 'Head Imagineer', the driving force behind these Classic E-Ticket Attractions, died.

Disney - the Corporation - has relied on outside-the-Disney-Franchise entities for many of its 'recent' E-ticket attractions: Indy, Tower O' Terror, StarTours, etc. I think that until Disney finds, recruits, and trusts another wunderkind, it will continue to safely rely on the tried-and-true current formula of:
    Good Disney Movie + Standard Sub-Contracted Ride = Good New 'Disney' Attraction, or
    Good Director of Hit Movie Franchise = New Imagineer to trust to create a new Attraction.

Space is only a semi-issue: if they can reconfigure the original Parking Lot to build a (lame) Theme Park, they can certainly reconfigure the BackStage Area(s) of Disneyland to accomodate new Attractions, even new Lands. The real shame is that DCA is taking up acreage where the original Magic Kingdom could have grown and flourished into "new" space; but it also proved that Disney has no Idea-Master Imagineer in its ranks that could take the reins and build a coherent Themed Original Park.

Time to break out the Wonka Bars, hide 5 Golden Tickets in them, and start selling: maybe they will find a 'Charlie Bucket' to take over the helm... they sure didn't find him working at The GAP.

• DL Fanatic

Sequoia National Park, CA (trying to get to Orange County)

I think, technically, POTC could be said to be based off of Robert Louis Stevenson's TREASURE ISLAND, just like TSI was based on Mark Twain's book. Disney used preset concepts that would have a captive audience, only mildly tweaked them. Now with HM, I don't know of any classic ghost stories that he could've done that, but then again his original idea for that attraction was a scary funhouse walkthrough.
    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast